Your Best Potluck Recipe

Baking By ShayShay Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm by indydebi

ShayShay Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 8

At one time there was a thread on here for "your best potluck recipes" however, it was lost in the crash. Did anyone have it saved on their computer? I am in need of a good potluck recipe. TIA!

7 replies
Harabekah Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,
do you need a dinner or a dessert or side? I have a great dessert recipe that is easy and always a big hit!

White cake mix and ingredients to make it
1 jar of Hot fudge ( I use the Mrs. Richardson kind, but any will do)
1 cool whip container
1 creme de menthe flavoring (usually in green bottle by ice cream stuff or baking...rarely by liquer aisle.

Make a white cake box mix as directed only add some creme de menthe to it to give it the mint flavor and color. Then bake as directed. Once cooled spread on a layer of hot fudge (warm to get out of jar, but not too hot that it melts). Then take coolwhip and mix in some creme de menthe for the color and taste and spread on top of cake. Keep in fridge til ready to serve. YUM!

As for main dishes...Tator tot casserole is always good, or Martha Stewert's macaroni and cheese is a big hit with kids and adults. I usually just buy a pork roast or beef roast and slow cook til tender with some bbq and set out in crock pot with hamburger buns. Always empty by the time dinner is over.

Hope that helps you some, need more ideas let me know! icon_smile.gif
Rebekah

ShayShay Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 8

Ohh....thanks Rebekah! Both of those dishes sound great! It's for a church dinner and I never know what to make!

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 8

I've noticed that at church dinners, most folks tend to bring side items. The handful of women who brought a main dish were always the big hit at the dinner. Way back when, my mom took a big pot of chicken and noodles ..... turns out it was the only main dish that was brought. She used the frozen egg noodles (not the plastic kind in the macaroni aisle!) and everyone thought it was totally "homemade".

Chicken and noodles are pretty simple .... I boil chicken pieces (use the kind with the skin beause the fat in the skin is what makes the broth so good), add salt, pepper and a handful of dried parsley (it really does add flavor AND color). Then add the frozen egg noodles.

Beef-n-noodles: Throw a cheap piece of beef in the crock pot overnight. Add salt, pepper, a bay leave and parsley. The next morning, break up the beef (I shred it with a fork); add noodles (I use the homemade egg noodles found in the grocery deli).

People will think you're a gourmet! thumbs_up.gif

Another big simple one is what I call "Single Mom Soup" ..... A big can of Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup ... add the homemade egg noodles found in the deli section of the grocery. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets, so you can make it as a soup or as a main dish. I "invented" this when I was a single mom and had zero money ... it's my kids favorite dish to this day.

ShayShay Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

Yumm! Chicken and noodles! You both have great ideas and so simple too! Well, at least they sound simple to make. I am an "out of the box" cook most of the time. Whenever we have a dinner to go to I am asked to bring the cake if one is needed or the cheese if a cake is not needed!

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 8

Sam's CLub sells a great can of cooked chicken in rich broth! Add the deli noodles and they think you're straight from the Food Network! icon_biggrin.gif

Jayde Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 8

I make the same noodle dish that Debi does, and my family goes crazy.

I use those frozen egg noodles, a Sams club roasted chicken, diced, celery, carrots, and onions, and one minced garlic clove. Shred the chicken, and put into a 9x13. Add veggies, and frozen noodles. Cover with chicken broth, and bake at 350 for like an hour, covered with some foil, with a couple of holes poked into it. Youll know when its done, a lot of the liquid will be gone, and the noodles will be plump and tender.

I also bring a lot of handheld things to potlucks. Pocket pies, sweet or savory, are awesome to take. I use puff pastry and cut into small squares, put a spoonful of your filling inside, fold over crimp, and bake at 400 until golden brown. Filling ideas for something savory: leftover pot roast and veggies, or roast beef, cheese, peppers and onions, or chicken, salsa, pepper jack cheese or spinach and cheese. Sweet would be any type of filling that you could find in a pie, some different ones: Pecan pie, or carameled apples with pecans.

The obvious casseroles: broccoli cheese rice, hash brown casserole, or green bean casserole.

Dips: Buffalo chicken dip, white cheddar beer dip, white castle or cheeseburger dip

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 8

the pocket pies sound great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%