First Wedding Cake For 360 People?!?!?!

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 12:07am by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 5

So my husband's coworker has been "spying" on my myspace page icon_lol.gif and checking out my cakes.

She LOVES them!!! And she wanted me to make her wedding cake.

The thing is.....I've never made a real wedding cake before, just my final for one of my wilton classes.

I know I can do it, but I need CC's help!

How much cake can feed 360 people? How much do I charge per serving? She only wants BC and I think it's a simple cake. I would like to have an estimate for her and depending on how complex it is I can raise the price i guess. And it's for the spring so I still have time to plan.

Any tips, advice or help is welcome...Sorry for sounding so needy but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks so much!!

icon_biggrin.gif -Susie!

4 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to the Big League!

You in da show now, missy!

SweetPea0613 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Welcome to the Big League!

You in da show now, missy!

You always make me laugh!! Love it!!

I'm scared to be in the big league...lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 5

I strongly suggest you offer her 3 or 4 design options that are simple and easy for you to do.
I also suggest you make a 3 or 4 tiered cake and suppliment w/satalites or kitchen sheets. Personally I don't like the looks a overly big cake that would give you anywhere near the amount of servings you need.
A 16, 12, 9, 6 make a great looking cake of about 188 servings; add 3-5 8" satalites for another 120-155 servings.

&/OR you can make a base of five 8" rounds, then put the 16, 12, 9, 6 on top of those.

Don't let the idea of a 'wedding cake' scare you. It's nothing more than a series of b'day/novelty cakes stacked up icon_smile.gif
Make sure you get enough money for whatever you do! If it is to be a 'gift' maybe have them buy (pay for) your supplies -- buying the pans, & all equipment you need to make it.
If not a gift, the start at about $3 - porbably $4 a serving.

Hey, make sure you check out the post about cakes in Kuwiat(sp?)! I want to see you do one *that* big! hehehehe!

SweetPea0613 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I strongly suggest you offer her 3 or 4 design options that are simple and easy for you to do.
I also suggest you make a 3 or 4 tiered cake and suppliment w/satalites or kitchen sheets. Personally I don't like the looks a overly big cake that would give you anywhere near the amount of servings you need.
A 16, 12, 9, 6 make a great looking cake of about 188 servings; add 3-5 8" satalites for another 120-155 servings.

&/OR you can make a base of five 8" rounds, then put the 16, 12, 9, 6 on top of those.

Don't let the idea of a 'wedding cake' scare you. It's nothing more than a series of b'day/novelty cakes stacked up icon_smile.gif
Make sure you get enough money for whatever you do! If it is to be a 'gift' maybe have them buy (pay for) your supplies -- buying the pans, & all equipment you need to make it.
If not a gift, the start at about $3 - porbably $4 a serving.

Hey, make sure you check out the post about cakes in Kuwiat(sp?)! I want to see you do one *that* big! hehehehe!

Thanks for all the info!! I saw those cakes earlier today!! Soooooo awesome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%