Buttercream Instead Of Fondant?

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:36am by mndy204

mndy204 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all!! My mom wants me to make a mummy cake for her for this Saturday. She doesn't like fondant at all so she wants the wrap part of the mummy to be buttercream instead. Is that possible and what tip would I use? Also does anyone have suggestions on eyes? I've looked online and I don't like how some of the eyes bug out of the mummy mask. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Oh and one more thing, I saw a mummy cake on the Wilton site that only feeds 6 or 8 people, what type of pan could I use for it to serve more than that?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

13 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 14

6-8 servings - 6" round pan. I did one of these last year with fondnat cutouts for the eyes and the wrapping made from a wide, flat tip and bc.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 14

Any round pan would work. Just make color flow or royal icing eyes. You can make them flat and color with edible markers or colored icing. Do a base coat of buttercream, a rectangle in the eye area, then place your pre made eyes.

Depending on how wide you want your mummy bandages I would use basket weave tip 2b or 1D with the flat side up to make the wrappings. One Idea I've seen in one of the halloween magazines this year is to take the wilton spray color and mist the bandages green or black to give it that aged look. Then dust it very lightly with cocoa powder for the extra musty finishing touch.

I hope that helps and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

jlsheik Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 14

Could you use the big fat tip that is used for applying base buttercream...I don't know what it is called but they use it in wilton classes.

mkcraig Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

I've made mummy cupcakes with buttercream before. You could do the same thing for a larger round cake, just use a larger tip. Any tip that's the size you want and will give you a flat ribbon of buttercream will work.

banba Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 14

Something like an "icer" tip but maybe a bit smaller. Or you could try the rolled buttercream.

mndy204 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it!!! I'll try the tips and see how things go! icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:36am
post #8 of 14

well, how did it go? Curious minds want to know.

mndy204 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

well, how did it go? Curious minds want to know.

Well, my mom ended up wanting these cupcakes I started making her to go with the cake instead. So I made 36 of these little guys instead of the mummy. People LOVED them!! I guess I'll have to try the mummy next year for her. icon_smile.gif
LL

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 14

They turned out super cute!!

mndy204 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you!! They were fun to make, too!!! I even tried a new recipe (pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese buttercream) and it even turned out awesome. icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 14

are those whopper spiders? What a cute concept. Nice job!

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 14

Oooo.. good eyes Enjoythecake! I didn't notice that those were Whoppers! But it is a great idea!

mndy204 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

are those whopper spiders? What a cute concept. Nice job!

They are whopper spiders!! I can't take total credit though I saw them online after a google search and thought they were too cute! I'm glad you like them!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%