Glucose Where Do I Find It?

Decorating By ElectricCook Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm by ElectricCook

ElectricCook Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make SophieBelle's Jello Fondant this weekend for a party. Where do I find glucose? icon_confused.gif The recipe calls for 1/4 cup.

Also has anyone tried it?

Thanks

9 replies
Auryn Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 10

ive seen glucose at michaels in the wilton section

antonia74 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 10

I had a teacher tell me to just use clear corn syrup (grocery store) if I couldn't find glucose anywhere, she said they are practically identical in composition. icon_confused.gif True?

UltimateCakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

I've seen the Wilton glucose at Wal*Mart in the Wilton Cake supply section.

PinkZiab Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I had a teacher tell me to just use clear corn syrup (grocery store) if I couldn't find glucose anywhere, she said they are practically identical in composition. icon_confused.gif True?

You can sub them out for SOME recipes... it really depends on what you are doing. They do share a lot of the same qualities and can behave the same way in some applications, but for many things, you do need one or the other for specific reasons. In something like fondant I do think you could probably use the corn syrup in a pinch, but you may need to adjust the amount. It may not be a 1:1 switch.

ElectricCook Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks ladies. I tried looking in Michael's and AC Moore this morning, but no luck. I will keep trying and I'll look on the web for the ratio if I have to use corn syrup.

ElectricCook

banba Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with PinkZiab maybe you can sub them for some recipes but they really are two different things.

Glucose is made from sugar beat or cane and cornsyrup is sugar derived from corn.

I cannot get corn syrup here and we probably never will. Glucsoe here comes in sugar form.

I have tried various recipes subing one for the other but I think it does make a difference.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 10

I have bought it in Hobby Lobby.

alliebear Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 10

glucose and corn syrup do the exact same things and can be subsituted equally... they are both invert sugars..it really makes no difference... corn syrup is more readily availible.

ElectricCook Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks. I will try the recipe with corn syrup and post the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%