Cookie On A Cake Virgin, Need Some Advice Pls...

Baking By Jayde Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 12:33pm by TracyLH

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I had this wonderful idea to make the words on the cake out of cookies, and spell out 'Welcome Baby Mason', cute huh?

Not so easy. The dough recipe was awesome, they didnt spread at all, but they were MAJORLY hard to get out of the tiny cookie cutters. I basically had to shred them to get them out and then piece them back together, which was a pain and time consuming, but I managed.

I finally got my RI to the right consistancy, I decorated, blue fill in with little ivory dots. They dont look horrible. (see picture below)

Here's my question/problem. They are going on a cake that is 3 tiers, a 6, an 8, and a 10, all stacked. Now the cake will have other things on it, bees, bears, blocks, etc. So originally I wanted to be them small so I didnt make the cake too busy looking. But now I look that them, and think maybe for a cake that is 4 inches tall, these tiny cookies are going to get lost with all that cake. So now I am considering going out and buying some medium size letter cutters, to make them larger. Or do you think the small ones are ok??

What do you guys think??
LL

7 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 8

I love this idea! I can't wait to see your finished cake!

I think your cookies will overpower the cake if you make them any bigger. You have a lot to fit on there.

I've made little cookies with chilled dough and the NFSC recipe with no problems. They pop right out since the dough is kinda hard.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 8

Do you think they look ok Michelle?? They arent my first cookies, but my first small ones. The bigger ones give you a little more room for error. Do they look all right?

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 8

Yah, I think they look okay. They will look fine on the cake once everything is on there and decorated. I always hate my cookies until they are bagged and tied with ribbon. It finishes them off. I'm sure it's the same thing with you and your cookies. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:52am
post #5 of 8

I think they'll look fabulous on the cake! I'm a big fan of using cookies on cakes, so I love your idea. Wilton had a cake on the cover of one of their yearbooks where they used cookie letters....I'm just drawing a blank as to which year. It wasn't all that long ago. I'm picturing a pink cover with cookie balloons and presents stuck into the top of a tiered cake. So I think yours will look great! Be sure to post pictures.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 8

So how did your cake turn out. Do share! icon_smile.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 8

Your letters look fine icon_smile.gif I dip my small letter cutters in powdered sugar or flour before cutting the dough. It helps...plus my dough is chilled well. I know exactly what you are talking about though...the letter "Q" and "B" cutters were a real pain to get the dough out of before I started using the flour or sugar icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 8

I don't know if this helps, but like shanzan67, I dip my cutters lightly in flour, tap off then use. I also chill the dough well and then to get them out, I gently use a blunt knife to push the letters down and out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%