Luster Dust Streaking

Decorating By cakesalot13 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm by loriemoms

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

Help!-
Ok, this has happened a few times. I try using dry luster dust, specifically the colored - purple or pink- with a blush brush onto finished fondant. However, when I brush i ton, I sometimes get streaking lines, and it clumps up in some areas. Is there an ideal way to apply luster dust or easier way?
Please help. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds like for the streaking, you have too much medium and not enough luster. For the clumping, either your brush is getting clogged with dried bits of luster or the luster isn't fully incorporated into the medium.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

the only way i have been able to get it on evenly has been with an airbrush. I just buy the premixed shimmer colors made for airbrushing.

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 8

Actually i wasn't using any medium with the luster dust (lemon extract or vodka) just 100% luster dust- should I be using shimmer dust instead?

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 8

leahs, If I am not mistaken she is talking about using the luster dust dry, without any type of mixing medium.

Cakesalot13, I have had similar issues in the past, and the only thing I have found that really helps is applying in a circular motion instead of sweeping strokes.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 8

I've found it streaks whether I dry dust it or paint it on. Maybe it's just me. The only success I have had is using my airbrush. You can try mixing it with vodka or lemon extract and see if you get the finish you want painting it on. If not, try the same mixture but use an airbrush to apply it instead.
Shimmer colors is what Lucks brand calls the premixed stuff for airbrushes but it's very similar to luster. The silver gives an excellent metallic look - I love that one the most. they have lots of colors, but you can make any color you want by simply adding airbrush color to the pearl airbrush shimmer.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 8

first give it a LIGHT brushing of cornstarch. Dust that off, then apply the luster dust.

I have found that when I dry brush a whole cake it streaks because of moisture. Keep your brush super dry too.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 8

Speaking of which, has anyone found a good source for luster brushes? I bought some nice soft brushes at AC Moore and they shed!! And blush brushes are SO expensive at the makeup counter. Would love some advice on this too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%