How Do I Get Black?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm by tonicake

trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 7

I've went threw my food coloring and I do not have any black. I told my neice I would make her spiderweb cookies to take to school next week for Halloween but I'm not sure how to make black.
This is probably a easy silly question but I have never done it and would rather be safe than sorry. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Trisha

6 replies
ccr03 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 7

Either by adding TONS of black - or get dark brown and then start adding black. Since you're starting with a dark brown you won't use AS MUCH black.

baycheeks1 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7

The best way is to make like a dark brown...then add black to it...quickest way!

kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 7

You said you don't have any black sooooooo make a dark chocolate (brown) then add some dark blue OR purple. You won't get a true black but a nice dark color that will work just about as well icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with kakeladi - you can't get black without black, but the closest thing to it would be dark brown mixed with purple.

UltimateCakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

The ABSOLUTE best way to get black, without the after taste, is to make chocolate BC and use black to get desired color. It will taste great and you won't have to empty your black food coloring.

tonicake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 7

There are two ways I make black icing (depends on the flavor of the cake):

1. Use a chocolate b/c and add black - let it set! (My favorite method)

2. Use the darkest brown Americolor available, then add black - let it set! I believe someone else suggested making a very dark brown - it works!

To get a great black w/o the bitterness (also works for red) make your icing a few days ahead of decorating. Do not mix it as dark black as you can when you are making it because it gets darker as it sits and you do not have to add as much of the black (or red) color.

I hope this helps, others may have better ideas for you. Either way, you should find what works best for you. Good luck with your black icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%