Nfsc ?

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm by KKC

TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so I have made nfsc before but this time I want to make them PERFECT as in, to make a point to someone if you know what I mean ... icon_twisted.gif anyways, when I am making these cookies should my butter and eggs and flour all be at room temp before I actually start mixing the dough? My cookies usually go in the fridge before baking like the recipe says so I don't have to add extra flour, but I would like to know if everything should be at room temp before I start making the dough ... thanks! oh, and any other hints would be wonderful!

15 replies
TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 16

anyone? I need to start baking before to long ....

banba Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 16

I would say yeah everything should be at room temp so that you can mix them well together.

Soft butter and I was always taught that eggs should always be at room temp. when baking.

Flour should be okay unless you're keeping it in the fridge/freezer or something.

TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 16

I do keep my flour in the freezer, cause that's where my mom always kept hers ... I don't know why though .. I think she thinks it might last longer that way? Anyways, I will go take out all my ingredients and let them come to room temp .. thanks!

shiney Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 16

I will say, I did a batch with dry ingredients straight from freezer, and they flopped. But the leftover dough that I froze was fine when I refrig overnight. so go figure! I don't use NFSC, but I'm sure the recipe is close, mine calls for crisco rather than butter, and I let my eggs sit out a few minutes, and my sugar is stored in the fridge (don't know why I keep it there), and I don't let it sit out. Of course the milk is straight from the fridge. None of this makes sense with the 'room temp' theory. Good Luck.....Let us know how perfect they turn out!

TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 16

ok well I am done baking .. they seemed to turn out the same as last time, when everything was cold ... so I wonder if it really makes a difference, cold or room temp? I don't know ... now its on to decorating!

fiddlesticks Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 16

I make the NFSC . And never bring anything to rm temp. They always turn out good. If my butter seems to hard to cream I stick it in the microwave just enough to let me work with it !

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 16

Me too. Room temperature eggs make me nervous. I leave the butter out for a bit, but if it's still hard I just beat the heck out of it before I add the sugar. icon_smile.gif

KKC Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 16

Question for those of you who always make NFSC...why do my cookies sorta lump up in different spots when baking?? How do i avoid that and get smooth cookies with no lumps??

TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 16

Kivia, my cookies always have little tiny bumps on the tops after baking them as well ... they seem to appear once they are cooling on the racks ...

fiddlesticks Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 16

I have never had that happen on the NFSC. I bake at 325 Not sure if that would change any of that or not ?

TheCakerator Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 16

I'm not sure either .. I bake at 350 and once they are cooling down I can see tiny bumps on the surface start to rise up just a little .. almost like tiny tiny acne bumps .. but once I put on my frosting no one can see them .. so up till now I'm ok with them

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 16

That is really strange !

banba Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 16

Could the lumps be from unsifted ingredients or the butters not being soft before mixing?

linedancer Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 16

I used to get the bubbles you are talking about all the time on my NFSC. I thought maybe I was mixing them too much and on too fast a speed, incorporating air, so I now slow the speed and then finish mixing by hand. I add my eggs at a slower speed on the mixer and use the slowest speed I can when adding the flour. When I get about 3/4 of the flour mixed in with my KA, I take it off the mixer, dump in the rest of the flour and mix it in by hand. It just takes a minute, you get all flour off the bottom mixed in and it has done away with most of the bubbles. I also use this method when I make chocolate rolled cookies HTH

KKC Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone for your input...and so sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread...i must admit though i never thought about sifting the dry ingredients because they were cookies i figured it'd be ok. Well i'm glad i asked the question because i hate to have lumpy cookies. Thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%