Hersheys Choco Cake...help

Decorating By snns Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm by snns

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:19am
post #1 of 7

Hello CCers

I would really like to know where I am going wrong in getting Hersheys cake out of pan..
ok everyone likes the cake so much that I'm asked to make it the most.but each time I make it I dread when it comes to getting it out of pan.I grease the pan,put parchment paper again grease and dust it with flour.even after this much I'm having difficulty in getting it out of pan without the side ripping...pls any tips on how to work on this would be valuable...

TIA

6 replies
serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:33am
post #2 of 7

Hi Snns, i also love Hershey's chocolate cake recipe and make it all the time... I'm using a regular metal pan and to prepare the pan, i usually use a few sprays of PAM into the pan, wipe it around the whole pan using a paper towel to make sure the pan is fully covered with PAM and flour it. That's it. After baking, i will take the cake out of the oven and leave it in the cake pan for about 20 minutes before running a knife around the sides of the cake to loosen it before turning pan and cake upside down to get the cake out of the pan. So far, i've not had any problems with the cake ripping. Not sure if my telling you what i do helps but i hope it does icon_smile.gif Oh.. and when running the knife around the sides of the cake to loosen it, make sure you are pressing against the side of the cake pan not the cake cos if not, the sides might rip a little. Hope this helps!! If not, here's just a little bump for you icon_smile.gif

snns Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 7

thank u serenelui ...Ok Do you mean to say you don't use parchment paper at all while baking this cake....wow.that means I'm doing something wrong..ok I don't get PAM here in my locality....any substitutes...pls I baked 4 cakes in 2 days not at all happy with the way it came out of pan......
someone pls can think of a substitute or some other tip will be helpful.

thank u

Neicey76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neicey76 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

Using Crisco is the same theory as spraying with pam. Put a dab on a paper towel and spread in the baking pan until the whole pan is coated then flour the pans just the same. Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

Hi snns - I use this recipe also and do as serenelui does. Any type of shortening (I've even used vegetable oil) will work to grease the sides and bottom of pans then flour or cocoa powder them - I let mine sit in pans after baking only 10 minutes and then run the knife around the pan and flip onto cooling rack. I have not used parchment but I havent used a pan larger than a 10" round. For larger pans I would use parchment as you do.

Do you put cake into oven as soon as you pur batter into the pans? Try not to let them sit too long before putting into oven so that the batter does not absorb the flour/oil.

Good luck with your cakes!

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 7

Hi snns, sorry for the slow response.. I was having a bit of problems with cake central today :p Like what the others said, any type of oil/ oil spray will work icon_smile.gif And yup.. i don't use parchment paper at all when i make this cake icon_smile.gif But then again like cupcakemkr i haven't baked anything more than a 10" cake. And like her i also place the cake right into the oven after pouring the batter into the pans. Hope this helps!

snns Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

thank u all for ur responses...ok I use veg oil for greasing the pan ,so I should try without parchment paper now....and also I don't keep the batter in the pan too long before putting in the oven
come to think of it I think it might be the sugar which is not dissolved into the batter might be causing it to get stuck to the pan ..?
well I hope I can work on this cos everyone likes the cake..

thank you again,,,!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%