Masonite Board Vs. Cake Drum???

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 4:45am by AZCakeGirl

AZCakeGirl Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:26am
post #1 of 10

I have a very large 5 tier cake coming up in a few weeks. Usually I use cake drums for all my bases, but for this particular cake I will need a 20" drum which I don't normally keep in stock. I was planning on ordering the drum from my supplier but I have to buy them in bulk. I really only need one & hate to buy all the others that I don't need (but will if I have to). I've heard of people using covered masonite boards as cake bases, but have never even had my hands on one before (I can order these individually). Are they just as thick & sturdy as a drum? This is going to be a very heavy cake so I want to make sure it's at least equivalent to a 1/2" thick cake drum & can hold up to the weight. Any masonite experienced cake people out there have an opinion???

9 replies
peg818 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:02am
post #2 of 10

The masonite isn't as thick as the drumm, but definitely strong. I like to add a piece of foam core to the masonite to give it a little more depth but it really doesn't need it. i really only do it for appearances. I would glue some legs or stripes of wood to the underside of the board so that you can get your hands under it to move it (paint sticks work well to give you finger space)

AZCakeGirl Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 10

OK, but it will be just as strong as a drum? I'm thinking of maybe putting two of them together, just to get the look of the thickness & then covering them so it looks pretty.

tonimarie Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 10

I think masonite is stronger than a cardboard drum. I feel very confindent using masonite plus it's reusable! icon_wink.gif

peg818 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 10
Originally Posted by tonimarie

I think masonite is stronger than a cardboard drum. I feel very confindent using masonite plus it's reusable! icon_wink.gif

I agree

momma28 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #6 of 10

Where can I order masonite boards. Can I use the masonite you can get at the home improvment store and just use a jigsaw to cut it round (of course I would sand and clean it afterward). Just not sure its the same thing

Mizuki Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #7 of 10

Masonite is the best! I get mine from intotheoven. You can check with your local home improvement store, but just make sure you check it for stability before you buy. The masonite I've found at Lowes is no where near the quality I've gotten from intotheoven. I do have some MDF that I use when I'm out of masonite boards, but it's much thicker and heavier.

calynmom Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 10

I will only use masonite boards. My cat cake is on a masonite board and that thing weighed 12 pounds. Not as heavy as a 5 tier cake, but I had no problems transporting it what so ever. I order mine on line thru country kitchen sweet art.

The masonite from the home improvement store, the white ones, would work just as great.

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #9 of 10

I got a sheet of it at Home Depot and DH cut several sizes of circles for me. It's strong. So far I have mostly used it for upside down technique in icing.

AZCakeGirl Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:45am
post #10 of 10

Wow....... sounds like I might be switching to masonite boards all together after I get that order in! I have no doubt about using it instead of the drum now. I really had no idea they were that strong, I'm glad that I asked! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%