To Candle Or Not To Candle?

Decorating By SUUMEME Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm by SugarFrosted

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 14

Do all of you send your birthday cakes off to the customer w/ candles? Or do you have the customer add their own? I have been doing the candles for them but latley I can't be bothered. What do you all think? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 14

To be honest, I've never heard of a cake-maker providing the candles. icon_confused.gif I think it's a nice above-and-beyond customer service thing, but I dont' think any customer really expects you to provide candles.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 14

No candles from me, tho I have suggested where they can find cute ones to match their theme.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 14

I don't provide candles.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 14

Before I started decorating, I purchased many, many cakes. No one ever provided me with candles.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 14

The only person that has given me candles is a friend who owns his own bakery, and I think it was only his close friends and family he did that for, he doesnt do it for everyday people that go into his bakery (or maybe he just knew I was always forgetful about that stuff)...but anyway, any b-day cake he did for me he threw candles into it.

Anybody else though has never done that. Wal-mart & Target have that little rack of candles right by their cases, but thats it.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 14

I have never provided candles or have ever been asked to provide them.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #8 of 14

I dont provide them but I do take an Emergency set with me (put it in your repair kit that you take with you on deliveries if you wish) along with a serving set too. That way when you drop it off and say, "You did bring candles and serving set? There answer will either be yes or a look of "Oh no!" But its you to the rescue with your backups.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:11am
post #9 of 14

Touche Wrightway! I do that too! Servers and candles, I don't offer them up, but do ask as a reminder and then for those who get that "deer in the headlights" look, you get to say "Well, i happen to carry some with me," and they are so greatful! It makes for great customer service.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #10 of 14

I provide them with some extra fondant that matches the cake board for attaching candles to the cake board since most of my birthday cakes are carved or complicated and candles in the actual cake won't work (not to mention the heat from candles can melt BC and fondant so I usually tell people it's the safest thing for their cake and then there's no wax dripping on the cake as well). But no.. I don't give them candles.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, I do provide candles at times icon_wink.gif . I have a whole box of speciality-themed candles. I don't provide them all the time, but if there is a particular theme that necessitates a certain candle, then it's part of the overall cost.

I've got these really cool geometric black/white candles that I'm just dying to use for my dh's 50th anniversary in 2 years icon_lol.gif .

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 14

In my shoppe I offered free candles w/any b'day order........only about 1/10th of the people took any.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for your comments, I think it is safe for me to nix the candles. I will just make sure to mention that to the customer. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 14

Sorry, after thinking about it, I guess I have provided a few candles...but only the Grave Marker/Headstone candles for my "open grave" cakes, I never provided any "regular" birthday candles tho. I charged my client what I paid for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%