Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm by bobwonderbuns

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #151 of 395

Oh, I also cooled it on a cookie sheet

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #152 of 395

I always cool it on a cookie sheet, and your pan sounds fine. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the metal spoon. I always use a wooden spoon, mainly because it won't conduct the heat and burn my hand. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Not on me burning myself, but on the metal spoon in general! icon_lol.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #153 of 395

Could you have "played too much" with it when you spread it around?

Is you candy therm. correct? Maybe it went to a higher temp?

These are some ideas- I dunno.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #154 of 395

I used a cookie sheet and a wooden spoon to. I wonder if its the metal spoon. I also just replaced my candy therm a few days ago. I know the last time I made candy with it not knowing it was not working right my candy did not turn out at all from the start.

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #155 of 395

candy therm brand new so that is not it... maybe the metal spoon? I don't think I played much. I appreciate all the input and help

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:36am
post #156 of 395

Did you spray your cookie sheet with anything ? I sprayed mine with a very light coat of pam.

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #157 of 395

Yes did spray with light coat of Pam

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #158 of 395

I would love to know what the problem was because I plan to make the caramels again and again. What kind of pot did you cook it in? I use a non stick.

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:46am
post #159 of 395

Well sounds like maybe the metal spoon and yes, Mel, it was HOT! What was I thinking with that too???? I thought it would stick more to the wooden spoon. UGH OK try again tomorrow with wooden spoon. I will let you all know and if anyone else has thoughts I will check them before stirring icon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:20pm
post #160 of 395

Hehehehe... a 240 degree metal spoon can suck! Especially when you're in a clutzy mood and drop it in the pan and have to use another spoon to fish it out. icon_rolleyes.gif I hope you have better luck this time. Hopefully it was a fluke.

Dinny2222 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #161 of 395

OK took a couple of days but I did the caramel again. What I noticed was I added the vanilla before cooking and not after it came off stove. Could that have done it? I also used a wooden spoon...duh

Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:45pm
post #162 of 395

Well, I don't think that would cause that problem. The reason you add the vanilla after cooking is that otherwise it will mostly cook out. Are you saying you made it again and it did it again? icon_confused.gif

Dinny2222 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #163 of 395

No I did everything right now AND used the wooden spoon. So far looks great, taste soooo good. So maybe it was the metal spoon. Otherwise don't know what it would have been since it wasn't the vanilla. Hmmmmmm go figure

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:14pm
post #164 of 395

Warning.....just because your therm. is brand new doesn't mean it's working!!!! I ruined 3 batches of english toffee a couple of years ago with a brand new therm. You can always check to make sure yours is acurate by doing the boiling water test.

Bring a deep pan of water to a boil. put the therm into the water like you were checking the temp of your candy. Wait 30 seconds or until the indicator stops moving. The boiling point of water is 212' (100'C). The BP changes with elevation so you may have to adjust a little if you live
way up high!

Some of the candy recipe books have this information and also how to adjust your recipe temp based on how your therm reads if it's off a little.

HTH

Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #165 of 395

Ok Dinny, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a silly one time fluke!! Let us know!

Kathy, thank you for mentioning that, it's very important to insure that your therm is accurate for things like this recipe because just a few degrees is the difference between caramel syrup and caramel candies! Or, caramel rocks!! icon_lol.gif

Dinny2222 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #166 of 395

It's good, it's yummy, it's caramel wonderful!! Doing the caramel dance of joy!! Dance with me Mel!! woo hoo Must have been the metal spoon.
Thanks for all the support and input all... let's all do the dance of joy icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:58am
post #167 of 395

Good for you Dinny!! Im glad it worked out because that is some delicious stuff! We all have to remember to keep the metal spoon away from the caramel !!

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #168 of 395

I didn't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I was thinking that was the problem! There are a lot of candies and similar things that don't do well with metal. Some recipes even say no metal.

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:08am
post #169 of 395

I agree. I always try to keep metal away from lots of things ! Plus the wooden spoon doesent get HOT!!

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:40pm
post #170 of 395

Good grief... I stood here doing the dance of caramel joy all night... I'm wiped out! Whew! I need some good cupcakes to perk me back up! Who's turn was it to send me some?? I know someone out there was going to, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:42pm
post #171 of 395

Oh Darn ! I ate them all!

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:47pm
post #172 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Oh Darn ! I ate them all!

You're fired. Do NOT make me comb my hair all crazy over to one side... I will do it. You are SO FIRED. You are hereby stripped of your Bettercreme privileges. You are banished to the land of canned frosting. That nasty generic stuff. And you can't add any flavoring to try and make it edible. And may all your cakes sink in the middle!!!!!

Whew... someone is having sugar withdrawals!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #173 of 395

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_sad.gificon_lol.gif Oh.. someone needs to sit down with a big bowl of fresh caramel !.. icon_razz.gif
Well they were good ! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:16pm
post #174 of 395

Oh suuuuure, rub my nose in it. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Dinny2222 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:24pm
post #175 of 395

now now now we are suppose to be doing the caramel dance of joy... no bickering while dancing! If it helps Mel my household is praising you

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #176 of 395

icon_lol.gif
I have to say that Im still eating those caramels I made I believe on Oct 28th. I did wrap in wax papers and they are still as fresh as day 1 thumbs_up.gif Of course Im eating the ones I hid cause hubby ate the rest.
So they are 10 days fresh !!

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #177 of 395

Ok Dinny, that does help! icon_lol.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:35pm
post #178 of 395

I so hate ALL of you right now....... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I don't even know WHY I thought I could look at this thread and survive it.....I'm on day three of Atkins and now I'm going to have to start all over again. icon_cry.gif

And MELVIRA.....do you have any idea how hard it is to write your name on a recipe in all caps, and not hit caps lock first?? Shift, left hand, shift, right hand......oh my gosh, I have to get some SUGAR!!!! I'm going to lose my mind!!! (I'm pretty sure PMS is rearing it's ugly head again too, so I'm really screwed right now!)

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #179 of 395

Callyssa... I'm so sorry we are derailing you!! Wait a minute... icon_confused.gif no I'm not. I've told you guys about my diet plan... make all of you fatter, then I won't look so big. I'll just look average! icon_lol.gif

Ok, so you're dieting and we're screwing with you... do you like pumpkin flavor? I have a new recipe that I'm just tweaking for pumpkin cinnamon rolls. icon_lol.gif Oh, alright, I won't be mean.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #180 of 395

You are so CRUEL!!! And BAAAAAD!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%