Snickers Cupcakes

Baking By Melvira Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm by bobwonderbuns

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #121 of 395

I must second the Alton Brown marshmallow recipe. I made it last night and it is AWESOME. I made it in a single batch with my cheapie dollar store hand mixer and it was easy and worked great. They are delicious, and I can't wait to make more with flavorings and some choc. covered! MMMmmmMMMmmM

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #122 of 395

Um....Julie....whereabouts do you live?? I wanna stand in line for some of the apples & marshmallows, yummy! I used to make the 3 marshmallows on a stick, dipped in chocolate covered in various things, and I never got them, not even 1 of them icon_sad.gif. if it wasnt the kids stealin them, it was my friends.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:41pm
post #123 of 395

Aw heck no!! Caramel apples don't need any special treatment! I've got three left sitting on my kitchen table... they're like almost 2 weeks old by now, and they're still perfect!

You can dip in chocolate if you want, (to keep them from sticking) or, simply place them in pretty cupcake liners after dipping. That would be an elegant look too! If you look at my pix you can see I used Halloween liners. You could put them in pretty wedding liners, or just plain white to keep it simple. So, she doesn't want nuts on them? That's what usually keeps them from sticking! Then I'd get several flats to carry them in. (You know, those boxes they make you put cans in when you return them?) Warning, 120 apples are going to take up a boatload of space!! Especially depending on how big the apples are! Prepare yourself to have apples everywhere! For some reason that does not sound like a problem to me! icon_lol.gif

I'm glad you mentioned that... I'd hate to see you trying to get all those in the fridge! I can see you opening the fridge and they're falling out the butter door, etc. Thanks for that humorous visual!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #124 of 395

Oh yah! That would be great! Well next Sunday think of me around 1:00 while I am loading up 120 apples AND a wedding cake for a 50 minute drive to the reception.

Best part is my cousin says "Oh, you can get into the reception hall anytime after 3:00 to drop the stuff off." Um, her wedding is at THREE THIRY IN A DIFFERENT TOWN!!! So I guess, give me a cake for my wedding as a gift, make all my wedding favors, but no big deal - don't bother coming to actually SEE ME get married. WTF??? Of course I will be calling the venue to make other arrangements to drop off earlier. Good Grief!

I did order some red foil liners just in case - so maybe I can you those as well!

THANKS Mel!

Melvira Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #125 of 395

My pleasure! And yah, that is pretty snarky to tell you that. Perhaps she just hadn't thought of it. Maybe she thought that would give you plenty of time. thumbsdown.gif Let's hope it's not the mean thing! Good luck! Wish I was going to be there with all those apples! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #126 of 395

I would love to be around to smell all those apples! Yummm!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #127 of 395

Fiddlesticks - hop a plane here and you can smell while you HELP ME DIP THEM ALL!!!! LOL!!icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #128 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Fiddlesticks - hop a plane here and you can smell while you HELP ME DIP THEM ALL!!!! LOL!!icon_biggrin.gif

Bwahahahahhahahahah!! GOOD LUCK THERE!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #129 of 395

Yummy

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #130 of 395

SweetResults.. Wish I could, I love a day of gathering in the kitchen and with friends and enjoying sugar icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #131 of 395

What do you all think the best apple is for caramel apples? You probably talked about it but I probably missed it.

ErinOBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinOBrien Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:48am
post #132 of 395

Drooling. Need to try to make caramel!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:28am
post #133 of 395

OMG! Thes look incredible - how about pouring ganache over them, wouldn't that be considered waaaaaaaaaay over the top?

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #134 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

What do you all think the best apple is for caramel apples? You probably talked about it but I probably missed it.

GrandmaG-
I think it really depends on what YOU prefer. When Im making them for wholesale, I tend to use Granny Smith because that's what most people seem to prefer for caramel apples (sweet caramel + tart apple). I, however, always use Fuji or something similar when making them for myself and my dad. It's a whole lot of sweet, but that's how we like it icon_biggrin.gif As long as you have a good apple, I dont think it matters which one you choose. I always hated caramel apples until I made them myself. It seems like the ones you buy from grocery stores and carnivals are mealy and old. thumbsdown.gif I really wonder how long they keep them out?!?! I ate one of the ones I made a WEEK ago last night and it was still absolutely crisp and perfect.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #135 of 395

Cortlands are used a lot because they do not turn brown quickly when exposed to air. that is usually a problem around the stick. (or if you cut them)

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #136 of 395

My mom just made caramel apples and then dipped them in chocolate...said they were very good!!

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #137 of 395

Ok I made the caramels today and OMG !!!!! Im in LOVE !! icon_lol.gif They are absolutely delicious! They are creamy and just melt in your mouth. Thanks Mel! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:50am
post #138 of 395

My pleasure fiddle! I am so glad everyone is loving this recipe!!

Grandma, I exclusively use Granny Smith because that tartness of the apple compliments the sweetness of the caramel beautifully! If something else goes on sale really cheaply and Granny's are way overpriced at the time, then I will consider something else, buuuut... that's just me being cheap! Hehehe.

fiddlesticks Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #139 of 395

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!!!
MEL.. Have you ever tried adding honey or peanut butter to the caramels ? Maybe have like pb /honey chews ??

Melvira Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #140 of 395

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you know I will now!

Actually I have added different extracts and flavorings, but never just hoeny or PB. Yummy idea!

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:16am
post #141 of 395

Melvira you do ROCK!!! I can't wait to try these! I did your Bettercreme and that was a hit! Now the caramel...... You make us look darn good!! Course always give the credit to the master....
Thanks Mel!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #142 of 395

I wrapped some of my caramels in those wax papers, I want to see how long they stay fresh! I do know I cant keep my husband out of them,I left some just cut and on a platter for him to snack on, Every time I look at him he has another one LOL!! Its been 4 days since I made them and they taste like I just made them fresh! Ok besides the pb and honey I would like to try, I think choc caramels to ! Not just dipped but choc caramels I think theres a recipe in my new choc book?

Melvira Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:35pm
post #143 of 395

Aw, Dinny, you are too sweet! I'm so lucky to have all of you here to bounce ideas off of, and to learn from too!!!

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:21am
post #144 of 395

MELVIRA HELLLLPPPP!! I made the caramel yesterday and it was so so so good. I heated it up to 240. I poured some on a pineapple upside down cake (don't like those cakes but it was a special request) to make it taste yummy and it did! The rest I put on a sheet to cut and wrap. Well I cut the caramel up and put individual pieces in wax paper. Today they are not soft and yummy like last night. They are sort of crumbly and flaky with a lighter color. Not good. Can you tell me what I did wrong as I am sure I had to do something wrong. It would have been bad on apples...... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34am
post #145 of 395

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing! Did you substitute any ingredients? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Seriously, I've never had that happen! That would be kind of yukky!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:36am
post #146 of 395

Those look amazing! And I like the name snickles! Super cute!

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #147 of 395

No I followed it exactly....I think... was/is yucky...funny though, I gave my mother a nice decorated bag of them today. I am sure she will go oh these are great and they are NOT....lol No one else knows..well except all you good folks that I am hoping can tell me what I could have possibly done.

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #148 of 395

Oh wow ! Thats a shame because I know how yummy it is ! Mine is 5 days old now. I cut and wrapped mine in the wax papers and it still tastes like I just made it today!Yes we have been eating it but I saved several pieces and I eat 1 piece every day to see how long it stays fresh! I just cant imagine why it would of turned into that crumbly mess and to have changed color to ? Thats strange.

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:24am
post #149 of 395

I'm wracking my brain from sort of a chemistry or science perspective and trying to figure out what would make it do that. What kind of pan did you cook it in? I don't know if that would make any difference in making caramel, I just know that some foods cannot be cooked in certain types of metal.

Dinny2222 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:29am
post #150 of 395

Faberware, it is Aluminum Clad Stainless Steel. I also used a large metal spoon to stir. Is that what I did wrong? I know it is me I just don't know what. I really appreciate you thinking about this and helping me discover what I did wrong. I am going to try again tomorrow. But in the meantime if someone has thoughts...maybe my pan?? hmmmm
Thanks for all the thinking Mel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%