Commercial Fruit Fillings Verses "from Sctrach" Fo

Business By Estasrica Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm by Sweet_Guys

Estasrica Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #1 of 20

Is it more economical to use the commercial grade gel-pac fillings verses from scratch" formulas?

Which recipes/brands do you all preferr?

*basically what I'm calculating, the from scratch's flavors vary depending on the fruits' rippness. I also find it is more time consuming to make them verses purchase them...

Please let me know what you all think as business owners. Thanks...

19 replies
CakeForte Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 20

I use 100% fruit preserves because I personally think it tastes better. The cost is a little bit more, but I think it has a better flavor than the gel fillings.

FromScratch Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #3 of 20

I can't stand the sleeve fillings.. I much prefer to make my own. I find that using frozen fruits yeild a consistent product and it is more economical than using fresh. I find that the extra time it takes is made up for in flavor. I personally find preserves to be too sweet.

msulli10 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:47am
post #4 of 20

I have used the fruit sleeve fillings (strawberry and raspberry) and found them to be pretty decent. I usually mix the filling with buttercream (homemade) and I get rave reviews. But it is definitely a personal taste.

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 20

I personally like the sleeve fillings, but it's all a matter of preference. The cream cheese is my favorite.

Mike1394 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:05am
post #6 of 20

If done right you will have extra fruit puree sitting in the freezer. You might as well put a good use to it.

Mike

CakesByJen2 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 20

I only use from scratch. It's so simple and I don't think takes very long to puree some fruit, cook it with a little sugar and cornstarch to thicken, and you're done. I use frozen fruit in order to be more economical, readily available year-round, and most of all, consistent from batch to batch.

I also find preserves/jams to be too sweet, and they usually have lost the vibrant color that a freshly made puree has. I tried a commercial raspberry sleeved filling (I don't remember the brand) one, and I thought it was awful. It had an unnatural red color, and a very strong, artificial taste.

FromScratch Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 20

I keep extra puree in my freezer all the time. I freeze it in ice cube trays and put it in vacuum bags (I just have that reynolds hand held vacuum and it's wonderful). When I need to mix up a little flavored SMBC for a tasting.. just pop a couple cubes into the microwave to thaw et viola!

PinkZiab Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 20

I make all of my fillings from scratch. I'm sure the sleeve fillings don't taste bad, but nothing from a "sleeve" is going to taste nearly as good, in my opinion, as something I can make myself. For me, it's quality over cost. I'd rather spend a little more money and time for a superior (again, my opinion) end-product, than not be 100% satisfied with what I am handing over to my customer.

loriemoms Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

I personally like the sleeve fillings, but it's all a matter of preference. The cream cheese is my favorite.




I agree! I get rave reviews over that cream cheese!

I have to use the sleeve filings because using real fruit is not allowed here in NC for home bakers. I only use the rasp and strawberry and the apple, which are all REALLY good. I also mix mine up with whipped buttercream, makes a really nice mousse..

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 20

I also think it's has to do with where you live and what your clients are use to. ALMOST every cake I've ever had down here has used the sleeve fillings. I almost think it's just the norm. Actually, when we got home after our Gustav Evacuation, I had an order that required pineapple filling. My cake supply shop wasn't open, and I didn't have any on hand. I made what I thought was a wonderful pineapple filling, but it didn't have the gelatinous consistency. I personally liked it better, the client however, did not.

I use all of them that my supply shop carries at some point in time. I use the bavarian cream and the chocolate bavarian cream very often for people who don't like fruity fillings. I've used the banana before in the middle of a coconut cake and was wonderfully surprised. I was expecting it to have that fake banana taste, but it didn't. Almost more along the lines of the baby food bananas, but a little sweeter. Again, the cream cheese is my absolute fave, and when my step mom comes in town, she always has me take her over there so she can buy some herself. The only one I haven't tried really is the coconut one. And I use all of the fruits, they actually just added a blueberry one to their inventory and I'm anxious to try it, though it is a good bit more expensive than the others. The filling I make from scratch is my pecan praline, which here is the south is definitely another favorite. And I do make a coconut that I cook down with a little vanilla and sweetened condensed milk.

Loriemoms, I prefer the sleeves because I don't have the space to refrigerate fresh fillings and am not willing to take the chance of not.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #12 of 20

I prefer using jams to make fruit fillings. I have to list my ingredients and there is no way I'm listing all of that stuff on my label! A good reason to go scratch. icon_smile.gif

Please don't let cost and time be your only deciding factors in what you will use in your baked goods.

jessfmaldonado Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 20

Anyone willing to share a few filling recipes?? I have tried a few but didnt care for them. If you do a scratch filling with fresh fruit, doesn't it have to be refridgerated? Anyone want to share, pwease??? icon_redface.gif

Jessica icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 20

I don't really have recipes.. I just do it to taste and until it looks right. For raspberry I take a bag of frozen berries and heat them in a heavy bottomed sauce pan along with 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar until they break down a bit and strain that through a fine mesh sieve. Place the strained berries into a clean sauce pan and to that I will add a slurry of 3-4 TBSP of corn starch and the juice of 1/2 a lemon and as much water as I need to make it pourable.. make sure to stir consantly while adding the slurry. Bring to a boil for a minute or two and take off the heat and add the zest from the lemon and let cool. You can use blueberries like this too.. just don't strain them.

For strawberry I like to just use the strawberries that come packed in sugar.. thaw it out and blend it in a blender or food processor with 3-4 TBSP corn starch and bring to a boil for a minute or two in a sauce pan and let cool.

I use canned pineapple to make pineapple filling since the pineapple flavor is more pronounced.. I made it with fresh once but I didn't care for it and it didn't set up as well.

You just have to experiment.. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 20

I think there is enough sugar to preserve the fruit. You can use a jam and they don't need to be refrigerated, per Smucker's website, it just helps it to stay fresher longer.

missmeg Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I can't stand the sleeve fillings.. I much prefer to make my own. I find that using frozen fruits yeild a consistent product and it is more economical than using fresh. I find that the extra time it takes is made up for in flavor. I personally find preserves to be too sweet.



This is me completely. I might be a box mix baker, but I pride myself on my scratch fillings. I do find they taste better, and I love to experiment with them. One of my favorites is a raspberry-rum filling, and a brandied-hazelnut filling.

jessfmaldonado Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I don't really have recipes.. I just do it to taste and until it looks right. For raspberry I take a bag of frozen berries and heat them in a heavy bottomed sauce pan along with 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar until they break down a bit and strain that through a fine mesh sieve. Place the strained berries into a clean sauce pan and to that I will add a slurry of 3-4 TBSP of corn starch and the juice of 1/2 a lemon and as much water as I need to make it pourable.. make sure to stir consantly while adding the slurry. Bring to a boil for a minute or two and take off the heat and add the zest from the lemon and let cool. You can use blueberries like this too.. just don't strain them.

For strawberry I like to just use the strawberries that come packed in sugar.. thaw it out and blend it in a blender or food processor with 3-4 TBSP corn starch and bring to a boil for a minute or two in a sauce pan and let cool.

I use canned pineapple to make pineapple filling since the pineapple flavor is more pronounced.. I made it with fresh once but I didn't care for it and it didn't set up as well.

You just have to experiment.. icon_smile.gif




Thank you so much Jeanne for explaining this to me. I'm going to try it for my next cake. I rather do scratch as well, I have been using jams and sleeves but don't like to. The recipes I used before for scratch filliings were so soupy. Hopefully this will help me with this. Your always so helpful!! Thanks so much!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 20

Jess----

We made our own recipes from the *Ball* recipe booklet...You also get recipes for jams and jellies when you purchase the *Sure-Jel*...We used the Plant City strawberries in the spring to make our strawberry preserves...OOOH, are they delicious!

Paul & Peter

jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Jess----

We made our own recipes from the *Ball* recipe booklet...You also get recipes for jams and jellies when you purchase the *Sure-Jel*...We used the Plant City strawberries in the spring to make our strawberry preserves...OOOH, are they delicious!

Paul & Peter




I love the strawberries when they are in season here!!! We always pick up tons at the strawberry festival! I will def have to use them for fillings! Thanks so much guys!!!

p.s. Did you know the strawberry festival has cake competitions? I just found that out. I was thinking of entering next year, depending on how busy we are at the bakery at that time.

Jessica icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 20

Did not know that? We'll have to think about that. We haven't gotten into competitions....yet! icon_smile.gif

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%