Cake Stands

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 11:12pm by jobueno

trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 12

I have been watching a lot of shows on TV. Like Charm City Cakes and the new Wedding Cakes one on WETV. I noticed that they have these little table things that they push down into the cake between each layer. Now, What exactly are these for. And do you ask for these back? or do you charge for them and then just buy more? Are they expensive?
Thanks for any help!

11 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 12

Check the tut.rial on SPS? Is that what you're seeing?

trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 12

kind of. but i've seen them where you can push them right into the cake.

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #4 of 12

Yeah, the SPS plate and legs *are* pushed right into the cake.

trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 12

okay. that is more advanced than what I am talking about I guess. What I seen was just like a little plastic looking table that you just pushed into the cake..

Do you ask for these back or do you just buy more?

xstitcher Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #6 of 12

Could you also be referring to dowels or bubble tea straws?? Although SPS sounds like something you may be referring to also.

kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #7 of 12

It might be those plastic tiny tables that some pizza places use to keep the lid of the box from crushing down on the pizza.
I have no idea where to get them if that's whzgt you are refering to.

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 12

What was the purpose of the little table-like things?

SPS you build into the price of the cake. it's disposable.

jobueno Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:53am
post #9 of 12

I think what you may be talking about could be the wilton seperator plates used with hidden pillars cut just like dowels only the legs of the plate fit into the pillars inserted into the cake.. I know of some peole who use them between the cakes when stacking to give more support to the upper tiers. By placing these in between tiers you also allow for realignment of the cake in case it isn't centered (all you do is lift and reposition the cake you just placed without disturbing the frosting on the bottom tier).
You could include thesse in the total price of your cake and then just replace them or you could ask for them back. I must tell you getting these pieces back can sometimes be a hassel.

Hope this is what you were talking about.

loriemoms Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 12

They mainly use bubble straws on Ace of Cakes, although I have seen them use the coastal system where they substitute wood for the legs. (normal dowels fit very nicely in those plates) I agree though, sounds like SPS or a facimile...

trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you jobueno that is exactly what I am talking about! I will have to go and check these out!
Thanks a ton!

jobueno Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 12

Glad I could be of help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%