Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 6 Dec 2015 , 8:08pm by MacsMom

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

I'm a novice in this...but these are my thoughts. I've been making marshmallow fondant recently (cheap and easy) rather than store bought (haven't tried Michelle's yet) and have had mixed results. My first couple of fondant cakes were with Wilton's fondant and had excellent results (no pleating at the base) but it was GROSS! Then I tried MMF, I liked the flavor much more but am having a horrible time with pleating. As I do more cakes, the pleating is improving...but with store bought it was never a problem. I am battling with my internal debate of making more cakes with MMF (because it costs so much less) and improving my technique, or using store bought fondant that is more predictable and baking less often. I don't sell my cakes, this is all for fun. Thoughts, ideas? Thanks!

Adding glycerine (corn syrup works in a pinch) to your fondant will just about eliminate the pleating.

This is the recipe I use - you don't have to use LoRann flavor, but it gives the best flavor. If you are using another extract, increase it to 2 teaspoons (LoRann comes in 1 teaspoon drams).

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7262-0-Buttercream-MMF.html

i just took a look at the link you provided and was wondering what benefits the 1 TB of glycerin added to the mmf? thanks!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #92 of 113

the glycerin makes it stretchier and more pliable. That is my understanding.

I would also like to add that with my first batch of MFF, I used only half to cover a full sized cake, so I still have plenty for another and it's keeping well. For some reason I could only cover one cake plus a few decorations with a batch of MMF.

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:17am
post #93 of 113

After reading this post, I've finally decided to try Michele's recipe for fondant.

Is it absolutely necessary to have the fondant rest over 24 hours before using it? I am going to be making the fondant tonight and I hope to use it tomorrow morning. Is 8 hours enough for it to set?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #94 of 113

Letting set overnight is plenty of time. I didn't post the recipe, but I think the person who did post it for me meant for it to be over night. I'm guessing that the 24 hour statement was just to emphasize the need to let it rest for quite a while before using it.

HTH

Michele

crazy4cupcakes Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:07am
post #95 of 113

Hi Michele,

Thanks so much for your help and also thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with everyone! Already I can tell that the texture of this fondant is wonderfully pliable and smooth. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Thanks again!
Judy

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:12am
post #96 of 113

Thank you! FYI: I do have a cook book with this and many other recipes in it. I can even sign it if you would like if you order it through the link in my signature line. Just a subtle hint. icon_wink.gif

Michele

crazy4cupcakes Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #97 of 113

Thanks Michele. It's definitely going onto my Christmas list!

Just to let you know, I covered my cakes with your fondant and not only was it so nice to work with, it tasted incredible! The texture was wonderful. I can't believe that I waited so long to try your recipe. It really was so easy to make. I don't think that I'll be making MMF anymore!

Thanks again!

crazy4cupcakes Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #98 of 113

Thanks Michele. It's definitely going onto my Christmas list!

Just to let you know, I covered my cakes with your fondant and not only was it so nice to work with, it tasted incredible! The texture was wonderful. I can't believe that I waited so long to try your recipe. It really was so easy to make. I don't think that I'll be making MMF anymore!

Thanks again!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #99 of 113

Wow what a post! looks like I will be trying MFF on my next cake based on the recomendations! I do have a question. I use silk Soy Milk and Earth Balance Natural Buttery spread... am i going to be the 1st 'guinea pig' or has someone else already tried this out? ( I have to use vegan stuff due to allergies)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #100 of 113

glad this thread is open again!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #101 of 113

I liked MMF at first, but got tired of several things. The incredible mess, the stickiness, the sickly sweet taste, and the general chewiness and the stretch factor.

Made MFF last week....I'll never look back!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #102 of 113

Hey Michele, I've always admired your work. I hate to say this: but I am really really tempted to print your recipe and a few of these Q/A's to give to my Wilton students for Courses 3 & 4. It makes me cringe when I see them walk in with store bought Wilton fondant.

*shudder* Wilton just tastes.... wrong

The most telling comment on here was the poster who said something like "My mom made a cake with Wilton fondant 10 years ago and I've hated fondant ever since."

I SWEAR if Wilton needs to change ONE thing, it is their recipe for fondant. How do they have the market research to decide to come up with better gumpaste and fondant tools (which I think ARE better) but not to take all of their fondant criticism seriously??? As teachers, we have a suggestion form and I fill it out with my student's feedback every few months or so and send it on in. Guess they are like grandmothers who need to hear it LOUD and CLEAR (sorry for the caps!) icon_smile.gif

ok, ok.. I will print Michele's recipe for my students. I just made the executive decision not to let another student know that they don't have to use Wilton fondant. Yay for me! Let them fire me now icon_lol.gif

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:49pm
post #103 of 113

I must try this too
just printed out the recipe and have everything to make it =)
thanks for all the info!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Hey Michele, I've always admired your work. I hate to say this: but I am really really tempted to print your recipe and a few of these Q/A's to give to my Wilton students for Courses 3 & 4. It makes me cringe when I see them walk in with store bought Wilton fondant.

*shudder* Wilton just tastes.... wrong

The most telling comment on here was the poster who said something like "My mom made a cake with Wilton fondant 10 years ago and I've hated fondant ever since."

I SWEAR if Wilton needs to change ONE thing, it is their recipe for fondant. How do they have the market research to decide to come up with better gumpaste and fondant tools (which I think ARE better) but not to take all of their fondant criticism seriously??? As teachers, we have a suggestion form and I fill it out with my student's feedback every few months or so and send it on in. Guess they are like grandmothers who need to hear it LOUD and CLEAR (sorry for the caps!) icon_smile.gif

ok, ok.. I will print Michele's recipe for my students. I just made the executive decision not to let another student know that they don't have to use Wilton fondant. Yay for me! Let them fire me now icon_lol.gif

I wish all instructors were like you. The ones I've had have all said that I have to use Wilton fondant because they know how it performs and they want everyone using the same thing. So I bought it but only have used the left over fondant for my modeling (things I know are not going to be eaten. icon_lol.gif )

alejandra nava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alejandra nava Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 11:11pm
post #105 of 113

AHi i am using MFF. But i have problem when i add red or black... the fondant is not working good any more. any recipe or tips out there please "'MFF black and red fondant""

Tengo problemas al ponerle color a mi fondant. No sirve se siente pegajoso y no se puede estirar de nuevo. Que puuedo hacer para opetener negor o rojo y no danar mi fondant. Tienen un paso a paso de como hacer?? Thanks

Ale.

DoughSweetDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoughSweetDough Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 11:44pm
post #106 of 113

I've been reading about this fondant and would like to try it. Please, where do I get the original recipe?

Neveen91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neveen91 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 5:57pm
post #107 of 113

ACan anyone [B]pleaaaase[/B] help and tell me how to convert white fondant intp black!!! It keeps turning greyyyyy and i cant find any black fondant in egypt! Pleaseee helpp

greenvet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenvet2 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 2:06pm
post #108 of 113

Thanks Michelle!  I just bought the book on Amazon!!  Can't wait to try all of your amazing recipes...fondant, chocolate fondant, almond cake....ok, now I'm drooling ;-)

Thanks again for sharing with everyone, and I hope everyone else will support you through the purchase of your book as well!

greenvet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenvet2 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 2:07pm
post #109 of 113

I haven't tried it, but an earlier post I read said to start with a chocolate fondant when you want to make black.  There's one in Michelle Foster's cookbook, The Sugar Fix.

tifferstwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifferstwo Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:13pm
post #110 of 113

I saw a recipe that is very similar to this except she uses less gelatin and adds meringue powder, she says it adds flavor.  Has anyone tried this compared to MFF?

Thanks

Tiffany

Nicoleromero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicoleromero Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 6:40pm
post #111 of 113

Hello, 

I always make Michele Foster's fondant recipe but, I'm needing some fondant in a hurry and It says to let stand 24 hours before using. Do any of you guys think I can use it sooner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicole

Sugarflowers Posted 4 Dec 2015 , 12:34am
post #112 of 113

The fondant does need to rest for about 2 hours at least.  I've read where others have used it after an hour or so.  The rest period allows all the powdered sugar to absorb excess moisture and to meld all the ingredients to make it easier to roll out without tearing.

Hope this helps. 

Michele

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Dec 2015 , 8:08pm
post #113 of 113

I use mine immediately after I make it and have never had a problem with it. It saves a lot of time when you can just roll it out straight from the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%