Ideas For A Funeral.

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:59am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 9

A woman passed away from a cancer and I was asked to bring a cake for the funeral. It needs to feed roughly 70 people or more.

I'm lost for ideas. Anyone have one?

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #2 of 9

My feelings are that the design should be rather light and gay. The gathering is for the family - the living - at a very difficult time so try to bring some joy into their lives.
Pick a season appropriate, general theme - maybe a wreath/circle of fall leaves in the center of a sheet cake OR
as the top border on a 14x4" round. If you use the round you could basket weave the sides OR just plain ice it.
There was a post recently asking for an idea for a 'pile of leaves' & someone posted a great link to many cakes that were a basket of leaves. This might give you some idea to follow.

On a much smaller scale (an 8" round) I did one once that was a lattice completely covering the top of the cake done w/.tip 3 lines in a couple of different colors. Not sure how that would look on a 14" round though.....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 9

I tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let meicon_sad.gif
here's another ideA:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=26856
The sides are covered w/fondant lace from a mold. The angles are white choco molded in a candy mold. You could just pipe the person's name and date of birth & date of death? OR say something like "Always in our hearts' w/her name.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 9

I agree with kakeladi-- something neutral and pretty definitely. There are many beautiful cakes here on CC in a fall theme that would do just beautifully.

mkolmar Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 9

I don't have much time to work on because of other commitments so it needs to be something simple. Thanks you so much for the ideas. I like the idea of the fall leaves.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 9

What about some "forget me not" flowers for decoration?

mkolmar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the ideas. The funeral was yesterday so I did a basic 11x15 stacked with white buttercream and flowers. I handpainted a design on the side. I didn't even take a picture of it because I was so short on time.
I'm going to use these ideas next time I get a call to make a cake again for a funeral. Thanks again.

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #8 of 9

Sorry I didn't see your post in time. I have a few cakes in my album that i've done for funerals. Understandable about not getting a picture though. When your in a rush it's the last thing you think of, especially at a time like this.

mkolmar Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. The cakes in your photos are so beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%