How Would I Do This??

Decorating By nhanifan Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm by kjt

nhanifan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhanifan Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 16

So I have been asked by my Sorority Alumni group to do a cake for our up coming founders day and I was thinking of doing a round cake with a copy of our pin on the top. any suggestions on how to to the lettering? I know how I would do the crescent and the writing on the crescent just not sure how to the lettering in the middle of the crescent.
LL

15 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 16

For the monogram I would make a run sugar (like color flow) piece. Make two in case one breaks...

How are you planning on making the crescent?

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 16

Can you roll the shapes from gumpaste or fondant and paint them with silver lustre dust and vodka?
I did this mongram earlier this year, its an 'L' and an 'E' but it may help to give you ideas...
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 16

I totally agree that color flow would be cool for this because of how it puffs up a little, and that's exactly the look of this symbol. I think that would be excellent!

nhanifan Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 16

I was thinking of doing the crescent in fondant around the edge of the cake. I think I would like to do them in fondant. Would it be best if I did it in two pieces since the Phi part is raised above the other two letters?

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 16

If you're going to do it in fondant, I would make it two layers so that it's sort of raised.

kjt Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

If you're going to do it in fondant, I would make it two layers so that it's sort of raised.

I agree.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 16

I would do layers of Color flow..It already has the look of it
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 16

That's exactly what I thought... it just looks exactly like a color flow piece! Then just brush it with silver dust! I think that would be awesome!

nhanifan Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 16

So with the color flow I can brush on the silver dust. I did not know that you could brush color flow with dusting powders? Do I need to mix it with anything or can I just brush it right on? Thanks for all the help!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 16

I would do layered fondant cut-outs

Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 16

Yes, you should be able to 'paint' it with luster. If you do it dry you will get a more subtle effect. If you mix it with a little vodka you will get a more intense coloration, but I'd be careful about using anything wet with colorflow. Do you have an airbrush? That would be ideal. If you do mix it with vodka, I'd be sure to paint it a few days ahead so it can re-dry!

kjt Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 16

I often paint on color flow pieces, using luster dust mixed with vodka, using good quality artist brushes, I don't have an air brush icon_sad.gif . Make sure your pieces are dry prior to painting, and as Mel said, give them a whole day at least to re-dry. You can then dry-brush luster dust on if you want to...

nhanifan Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 16

I'll have to do some experimenting with the color flow and luster dust before I do this. I would be afraid of it breaking down. If I did do it in two pieces then how would I "glue" them together?

Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 16

If you do have a 'clean' break, you can glue it with royal icing or a little color flow.

kjt Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanifan

I'll have to do some experimenting with the color flow and luster dust before I do this. I would be afraid of it breaking down. If I did do it in two pieces then how would I "glue" them together?

When I make color flow pieces I make several disks in addition to the cake piece. That way 1) I know for sure that it's dry enough to remove, (some of my pieces are pretty big) and 2) I always have some practice pieces to try colors, etc. on.

I put my pattern inside a "page protector" sheet, the kind that goes into a 3 ring binder; I've found that the pieces come off this lots easier than wax paper.

As Mel said you can use RI to attach the pieces together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%