Animal Theme Cake.... Help!

Decorating By jcaste Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm by glendaleAZ

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone!! I'm new in cake decorating & we will be having a surprise baby shower for a co-worker (friend). We will have it on Nov. 7th but I want to start planning & having an idea of what I want to do. She is having a boy & said she will have an animal theme for his room. I've seen a few cakes in the gallery & they are so cute but I have no clue how to make the animals out of fondant.

Can someone help me out & pass on a tutorial or anything. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance!!

13 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 14

. . . aine2 has several tutorials on Youtube . . . http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSRUlLZows&feature=user . . . and if you click the "more from Aine2" there are more for a dog . . . a chick . . . all of them are great . . .

jcaste Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 14

Does anyone else have any other suggestions??

Any ideas on how I can make this cake. It is for a baby shower. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:43am
post #4 of 14

. . . is there a wall paper involved (or a border) . . . or a quilt pattern . . . if you have access to any "images" you could always do chocolate transfers . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=895833

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 14

If you don't want to make three-dimensional animals (I am not very good at them), you can find pictures of animals that you like, and blow them up to the size you want. Then you can trace them on parchment, cut them out like paper dolls, and place them on your fondant. Then cut around your paper doll shapes, and you have one-dimensional cut-outs. I hope that wasn't too confusing icon_confused.gif

It takes a little bit of time and planning, but because I just don't do well making 3-D figures, this works for me. Check out my Noah's Ark baby shower cake for an example.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 14

I have a pic of a "jungle animals" cake I made in my photos. I did a fbct for it. I haven't any experience making 3D animals, so this was my best option.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #7 of 14

There are candy molds available so youcould just mold candy melts into animals.

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 14

Hi everyone, i am just wondering what a chocolate transfer is. Does this mean you take a picture and color it in with chocolate???
If so, what a great idea!!!

jcaste Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 14

sorry i took so long to reply back to you all. i went ahead & made fondant animals & they came out cute for my first attempt. thxn for yas help!
LL

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 14

Cute!!!!! Great job!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #11 of 14

Wow! Those look great for a first time!

Lisa

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 14

kellycat - try http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-396793.html for chocolate transfer information.

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #13 of 14

7yyrt: Thanks for the information!!! I really appreciate it.
Kelly

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 14

Hi jcaste,

I just made a jungle cake (see my pics) that had some pretty easy animals on it. (I got the idea from another cake on CC). I've never made fondant jungle animals before, but because they are mostly lying on the ground, it made it a lot easier to make.

If you need any help let me know.

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%