Thanks

Business By sweetkisscakes Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm by loriemoms

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 3

thanks for all the encouragement girls! so.... who needs an intern? I can't find a bakery around here that will even return my emails much less give me a chance. It's frustrating I think I would at least answer the emails to offer some advice even if I didn't have an open position.

2 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:22am
post #2 of 3

i am so far from being in a position to have an intern, but i think a lot of people are hesitant about interns because

1) it takes a lot of time to train someone
2) you invest time and money into someone who is going to leave at some point and is not going to help your business grow
3) after they teach all their tips/tricks, you might go open your own business and be their competition.

sorry if it sounds harsh, but these are a couple of reasons you have had not had luck finding an internship.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkisscakes

thanks for all the encouragement girls! so.... who needs an intern? I can't find a bakery around here that will even return my emails much less give me a chance. It's frustrating I think I would at least answer the emails to offer some advice even if I didn't have an open position.

I personally don't even read these emails anymore, I get so many of them. Nothing against you, or others who are leaving these emails, so please don't start slamming..but I thought I would show you the other side of the coin and maybe this will help in your emailing!

Lets say you just graduated from law school and are looking for a job. Would you write an email to all the law firms and say "Hi, I am really interested in learning how to be a lawyer. I went to school and everything, so will you hire me and help me learn?" Or would you send them a nice cover letter, and a resume showing that you were head of the law review or that you worked three summers for Harry Cheatum Law Firm doing all thier small claims.

If you want to go work for a bakery, treat them with the same professional respect. Call them and ask to speak to whoever does the hiring. Tell them you would like make an appointment (and dont suggest a thursday, friday or saturday!) if they are hiring and show them photos of your work and give them a resume showing your experience. If you don't have any professional experience, tell them about your cousins wedding you did or the 20 birthday cakes you did for friends last year and show them again PHOTOS. Dont use the word Intern or I will Work for free. Nobody wants to hire someone free, as already stated, they think you are there to steal their ideas and go open your own shop. If you are asking to be paid, it means you feel you are good enough to be paid and will be devoted to the company. And be prepared to sign a do not compete agreement.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%