Black Royal Icing Or Color Flow???

Decorating By gourmetsharon Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:48am by Iggy

gourmetsharon Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making some bats for my haunted dog house gingerbread house. I wanted to make some black royal but am realizing this could take alot of product. I read somewhere about adding cocoa powder but can I do that to royal icing?? or color flow??

Thanks for helping the newbie with this project!

5 replies
BlueDevil Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 6

You can cut down on the black you need by making it brown first with coco.

My advice: ONLY color the amount you NEED with black. It you make 2 cups of RI and then try to color the whole thing, you will use TONS of food coloring!

tracey1970 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

I make black color flow/royal icing all the time. If you are only colouring a small amount to do outlines, etc., it doesn't take that much color. I have to admit that I would be somewhat nervous to add anything else to color flow. I have used both Wilton and Americolor black in white color flow without any real problems.

gourmetsharon Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 6

Appreciate your words of advice.

Gonna work on this tonite.

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 6

I just flooded some cookies with royal tinted black. I used americolor super black and still ended up using alot of the stuff. I think it took something like three good squeezes of the tube to color it to the shade i was looking for. At least it's not as much as if i'd used wilton...i could never acheive a good black with wiltons colors.

Iggy Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 6

Royal icing is just egg whites and powdered sugar, so I would replace some of the sugar with dark cocoa powder. Then you only need to add a small amount of black tint. The cocoa will not make the royal any less effective.

Quote by @%username% on %date%