Halloween Costume Ideas

Lounge By Lenette Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm by julzs71

Lenette Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have ideas of inexpensive costume ideas?

I just can't (okay, won't) pay $20+ for costumes for my kids, I have 3 and that is way too much total.
And unfortunately, I don't have time to sew.

I hope someone has suggestions. TIA! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
jen1977 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 6

Our boys were robots a couple of years ago. We covered boxes that had arm holes cut out of them in foil, and used that silver springy duct stuff for their arms and legs. They looked so cute! Just make sure the box ends above their knees so they can walk. You could also do hippies, gypsies, things like that. Raid yours or dh's closet and make them business men/women.

tx_cupcake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 6

Any time I need cheap, do-it-yourself anything I always turn to Martha. Here is a link to some DIY costumes:

Of course, there are a lot more ideas on her site but this is a start.

Good luck!

galliesway Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6
Lenette Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

I am trying to wiggle out of Halloween but it looks like I may have to come up with something for the kiddos. The ideas here are spot on!

Thanks again!

julzs71 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

I have four kids. I never buy costumes. Mostly because I love, love, an love painting my kids face. I only spend about 10 dollars a year on all four kids.
You could make a witch, joker, skeleton, frozen head stuck in the freezer, headless monster, angel and so on.
Really the only thing you need is face paint.
One year I did a witch, you need green and purple face paint. You can get a hat from the dollar store. Oh you can get this mole stuff. It is about 3 dollars. You don't really need it. If you do you can put that on and trim a couple pieces of hair, stick it in the mole. You get a hairy mold. Then just wear dark clothing.
Joker you would need the mole stuff for the mouth decorate, green hairspray, you could also share that with the witch.
Skeleton dark clothes and paint the face.
Headless monster get an oversized shirt and put your head in the middle and then stuff the top with something else.
Angel...get one of their pretty dresses and wings from the dollar store for a dollar.
Rotting corpes...toliet paper stuck to the face messed up a little bit. Looks like the flesh is peeling off. Paint it with face paint.
People always stop my kids on halloween and comment to them about how cool their costumes are. My friends now make me do their children also.
One of kids this year did have one demand...I don't want to be anything dead this year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%