Best Shortening???

Decorating By forthwife Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 4:33am by JanH

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 15

Living in Florida, I find it necessary to add shortening to icing to keep it from melting. This is a practice that I HATE because I really dislike the flavor of shortening and the fatty coating it puts on the tongue. What brands are the best for frosting and where would I buy them? I already tried publix (tastes like tires!) and crisco (ok). Thanks in advance for all the help!!

14 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 15

I use the Walmart brand (with transfats) and it works fine for me. You might also try the hi-ratio brands like Alpine or Sweetex, although they are harder to find.

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 15

I use Walmart's generic brand too and I like it; not too greasy feeling. I will say that I used Crisco butter-flavored shortening this weekend when I was visiting my snl's; I didn't think it was going to taste any different, but it did and it was AWFUL! So bad that I threw it out! icon_sad.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 15

I use Sweetex in my icing. If you have a cake decorating store in your area, you can generally purchase a 3-lb pail of it for around $10. Yes, it is a little pricey. You can also order pails of it online. Unfortunately, it seems to be available online in two sizes only--3 lbs. and 50 lbs.! The great thing about Sweetex is that you don't get that greasy mouth feel that can be so unpleasant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15

My vote goes to Apline C.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 15

I changed from Crisco to Sweetex in January. Love it! I am able to get 50 lbs. through a local cake supply store for less than I could on-line.

All-in-all, I think it is a personal preference. Good Luck!

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 15

I always buy a generic brand. Since I've stopped using Crisco, my frostings hold up and taste much better.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 15

Gritswife, could you please share the name of the supply store where you purchase your Sweetex? I get to the Edmond area from time to time. The prices online have jumped sky high recently! I'd love to buy local if possible! Thanks!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #9 of 15

I use Crisco but my recipe is part butter (ok, mostly butter), part crisco so you don't get that greasy feel on your tongue.

forthwife Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 15

On the walmart brand, I bought some but realized beore using it that it contains animal fats. I reacted in horror! Is that what I should use??? Thanks!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #11 of 15

I have always used Crisco and butter and my buttercream tastes and holds up great.

Wesha

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #12 of 15

Here's a Crisco vs. hi-ratio thread that might be helpful:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608133-.html

HTH

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuzieQ

I use Walmart's generic brand too and I like it; not too greasy feeling. I will say that I used Crisco butter-flavored shortening this weekend when I was visiting my snl's; I didn't think it was going to taste any different, but it did and it was AWFUL! So bad that I threw it out! icon_sad.gif

How funny. I mostly use the butter flavored crisco and I LOVE the flavor. But I like buttery buttercream, so that might be why. The frosting I made today was with reg crisco and I like the other one better.

forthwife Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #14 of 15

Does anyone else use cream cheese in their buttercream? I just love the flavor, but it goes soft SUPER quick!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:33am
post #15 of 15

Adding cream cheese or cheesecake flavoring to your favorite b/c will give you the flavor without the excessive softness associated with cream cheese frostings.

These flavorings are available at www.LorAnnOils.com or (bulk quantities) at www.nationalflavors.com

Best cream cheese frosting recipes thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605468-.html

The truth about cream cheese frosting:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582086-.html

Sugar as a preservative:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582561-.html

Why cream cheese frosting isn't good for decorating:
(Gives recommendations.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606414-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%