How Long Can Cake Sit Out?

Decorating By bprwatson Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm by lsienna

bprwatson Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Ladies, this is my first post but i swear i've read every thread on here trying to glean as much information as possible! You guys are amazing! I can sit for hours looking through all the amazing photos!

Anyway, I've been making cakes just as a hobby, mostly for family and friends (usually they give me money to buy the supplies and then i make the cakes) and so far they've been relatively simple so i've been putting them together the morning of. I have a wedding coming up and its my first LARGE (about 300 servings), detailed cake so i'm not going to be able to decorate the day of. I'm making the cakes 2wks in advance and freezing. The wedding is on a saturday, i'm planning on taking them out of the freezer Wednessday night and letting them thaw over night, then Thursday i'll fill them wrap in plastic wrap and let settle and friday i'll decorate and assemble.

Is it going to be ok sitting out from wed-sat? I want it to stay fresh.

TIA!

Bethany

9 replies
peg818 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 10

It really depends on your filling, if you are using just a standard fruit filling (sleeves) you should be okay. If you are doing a mousse type filling then you need to refrigerate the cake.

bprwatson Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, i made sure the filling is non-perishable because i don't have room in the fridge for that much cake!

Also does any one know, i'm using SugarShacks buttercream recipe, i can't remember if it said anything on her dvd about storage, thats ok to sit out for a day right? I guess i should just watch the dvd again icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 10

SugarShack's icing definately is fine at room temp for more than a weekicon_smile.gif
BUT, BUT I'm more concerned about this comment:
...... taking them out of the freezer Wednessday night and letting them thaw over night, then Thursday i'll fill them wrap in plastic wrap and let settle and friday i'll decorate and assemble......

Those layers of cake need to be wrapped in plastic wrap (OR placed into a food-safe plastic bag) BEFORE being placed in the fzr. The less time left uncovered the more moisture the cake will be icon_smile.gif Take them out of the oven; let cool in pan about 10 minutes; take out of pan onto wire cooling rack for about 10-30 minutes *lightly covered with plastic*. When mostly cool/warm to the touch it's time to wrap them up & fz.

bprwatson Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 10

icon_smile.gif Thanks, no worries though, I always wrap them in plastic wrap 3-4times then heavy duty foil before i freeze. I just wasn't sure if the cake would be ok at room temp for 3 days. The wedding reception isn't until 6pm on saturday it just seems like a long time for it to sit out.

leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 10

If your cake is already torted into layers, you can work with them frozen on Thursday (fill and wrap) and left them defrost, then decorate on Friday. I do that every week.

lsienna Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 10

Hello,

Sorry to chime in here but I have a related question. I have a very detailed pair of sneakers cake to do with other adornments around it as well - cake will be wrapped in fondant and the details will be painted on top of that. Other details made from gumpaste and fondant.

How long can this cake sit out for after it has thawed from freezer and wrapped in fondant until it is done being decorated? Should I put in fridge between decorating sessions or leave out?

Thanks a bunch!

lsienna

leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 10

Unless it has a perishable filling, it does not have to be refrigerated. In fact, condensation on the fondant may ruin your painting.

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, what leahs said......do not refrigerate as long as the filling is non perishable.

lsienna Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 10

ok, understood- but how long can a cake sit out while decorating if it is covered in fondant?

lsienna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%