First Time Covering A Cake In Fondant

Decorating By Lisakay0510 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:01am by Memie

Lisakay0510 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, if anyone has suggestions or answers to my questions I would greatly appreciate it! I have never covered a cake in fondant and am going to make my first attempt with my son's 2nd birthday cake. After I put a crumb coat of BC on the cake, do I put the cake in the freezer/refridgerator before putting on the layer of BC or after. Should I make sure the cake is cold when I put the fondant on it? Should the cake be refridgerated after the fondant is put on or left out. I am going to make my own MMF-first as well. I'm afraid I am not going to do something right and end up with an awful cake haha! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
bashini Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, You don't need to put the cake in the fridge before crumbcoating unless the filling you use has to be refridgerated. After you put the crumbcoat, you can put it in the freezer about 10 minutes, until you roll out your fondant. Then put the fondant on.

I never put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. But I know some members do that. The fondant might get sticky and guey.

But it all depends on the filling. icon_smile.gif

Lisakay0510 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much!

MacsMom Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 8

I put my fondant covered in the fridge - every single one of them. Only twice have I had issues but both werecompletely and easily resolved with a hair dryer!

The first time was when I had to put a cake in the freezer for a few days (I went on vacation icon_eek.gif ) and I didn't think to slowly defrost it in the fridge first. So the condensation was greater than normal.

The second time was a rainy day when I took the cake out of the fridge. The condensation normally dries in 3 hrs, but 5 hrs later this cake was still wet so I pulled out the hair dryer and it worked like a charm (and instantly!).

The condensation has never created a problem with my fondant. I usually use MMF but I've also used Satin Ice and Fondarific.

Lisakay0510 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8

Great Tip with the hair dryer...I will keep that in mind!

Malakin Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with Bashini. I usually crumbcoat, freeze approx. 10 min. then cover with the MMF. I never tried putting fondant in fridge. Too afraid of all the horror stories! I may try one on my family!

Jennafin Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

OK.. please don't think I'm ingnorant, I'm new to this... what is a crumbcoat and why do you do it??

Memie Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:01am
post #8 of 8

Ice your cake with a thin layer of bc and then refrigerate/freeze 10-15 minutes. You can then ice your cake without getting crumbs in your icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%