Do Your Cookies Get Stale???

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm by mvigil

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 22

Calling all cookie mavens ...

Help me understand. I get how to decorate cookies. No problem. What I don't understand is how do your cookies not go stale? Is it the recipe? I would like to make the cookies ahead of time, then decorate and let the icing harden, but by then, the cookies always seem stale.

How do you do it?

21 replies
sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 22

My cookies are never stale, maybe you are making your cookies too thin and so they see harder and not actually stale?? I use the no fail sugar cookie recipe and royal icing for decorations. I have let them sit out for 2-3 days before wrapping them and they are always fine.
Hope you find some useful information here thumbs_up.gif

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 22

I make my cookies one day and seal them in an air tight box with wax paper between the layers. I decorate them the next day and let them dry then bag them.
I have never had anyone complain about them being stale.
I roll them 1/4 in thick, 3/8 for cookies on a stick.
Sherryb

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:08am
post #4 of 22

I've never had them go stale. I use Wilton's cookie dough recipe, roll about 1/4 thick (for some reason, Wilton's recipe doesn't seem to spread out while baking, seems to hold the shape better), but I think I'll try to cookie recipe mentioned above! I usually keep them in an air tight container before I decorate, then bag them once the icing is dry.

Saborita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saborita Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 22

Hi:

"I make my cookies one day and seal them in an air tight box "

An tupperware must be? I don´t know what "air tight" means...

Thanks

Saborita

Sherryb Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 22

Tupperware or most plastic containers.

Sherryb

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saborita

Hi:

"I make my cookies one day and seal them in an air tight box "

An tupperware must be? I don´t know what "air tight" means...

Thanks

Saborita

A CONTAINER WITH A LID SO THE AIR DOESN'T GET INTO THEM!

Saborita Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks sherry and kate for your answer.

Time ago I looked for the translation whit a software translator and didn´t found it...so I stay with doubt for long time. until I decide to ask because your reliable whit this silly question.

Thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif

Saborita

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 22

Saborita,

How do you store your cookies?

Saborita Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 22

well:

I bake one day (generaly at nigths) because I work at office.
I decore the next day (nigths too)
Third day I put them into a cellophane bags with a ribbon and keep them stan up on "oasis" ( I think that is the name) until I have to deliver them.

By the way...the most I do are cookies pop. Almost never just cookies (wihout stick) and when I made them I put them in a domo.

Saborita

bubblezmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 8:18pm
post #11 of 22

Saborita,
What is a domo? If you need something translated, mi esposo habla espanol.

I'm wondering how to make a lot of cookies for the christmas holidays. I have never made them more than a couple of days ahead of time. I think I could bake the cookies ahead of time and wrap in saran wrap.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 22

I'm looking for cookie idea for a baby shower and I like the idea of a cookie decorated with royal icing. Will any cookie recipe be ok to use when doing this or is there a particular recipe to use?? I hope that came out right!! LOL

Daniela

Sherryb Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:29am
post #13 of 22

I most usually just use a basic sugar cookie recipe. I add different flavorings to change them up.
I do all of my cookies with royal icing.
I have baby shower cookies posted in my photos.
I love doing cookies.
Sherryb

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 2:38am
post #14 of 22

Sherryb,
Hi. First off I think your cookies are beautiful!! I have a question, I am making heart shaped cookies decorated with Royal icing for a Bridal shower. If they are wrapped in cellophane bags and tied, can they keep for a week? If so, where would i store them?
Thanks in advance!!
Gina

Saborita Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 22

hi:

Mrs. bubblezmom:

Thanks for the help of your husband. I´ll keep in mind.

I post the pictures of a domo. This is a container I use to store and deliver cookies (without stick) . I use this because is cheaper and the cookies are in good conditions...besides and I don´t care if the people doesn´t back it to me....because like I said is really cheaper icon_biggrin.gif

When I made cookies on stick I made a bouquet..I don´t use the domo.

Gina wrote:
If they are wrapped in cellophane bags and tied, can they keep for a week? If so, where would i store them?

Yes Gina...cookies keep even for more time..I have tested and for me a month is still right.

Gina wrote:
If so, where would i store them?

You can use some container like the domo...it´s useful because you can sort stand up...like cards in a file...

I´ll send a PM to antonia74 to know if she can write in her article how long in advance we can make cookies....and to know how she deliver and store her fantastic cookies

Saborita
LL

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 22

THANK YOU!!!

LemonLyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LemonLyme Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 22

I've never had problems with cookies going stale on me.
But i bake one day let them cool then i store in cellophane bags and decorate the bags and usually deliver at the end of the week.
I've tried several tricks with my basic dough recipe,I've used Soy Flour on ocassion mixed with the AP flour and my reason for doing this is that soy flour in baked goods would allow your baked goods to stay even longer with out going stale.
I usually do several cookie recipes including an egg free one that was specially requested around the Holidays,cookies are so much fun but when I'm done my kitchen counters are covered with cookies on racks cooling and the cookie tims and bags. but hey it's good business.

Sherryb Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 22

jumbosgirl.....Yes, they will keep in the bags for a week and a lot longer.
I usually just put then in a big cake box after they are bagged and then they are ready for delivery.
Sherryb

bubblezmom Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 22

Saborita,
Thank you. Your domo is a good idea. Inexpensive, but sturdy.

Lori11941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori11941 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:06am
post #20 of 22

Bubblezmom,

Ideally, I start doing my Christmas cookie baking at the end of October. I usually make around 20 different varieties of cookies, so I try to split it up, doing a few recipes every weekend.

I store the cookies in individual Rubbermaid containers with waxed paper between the layers, and then store them in the freezer. If the cookie needs to be frosted or topped with powdered sugar, I leave it off and frost or sprinkle after the cookies are thawed and I'm ready to make the cookie platters. And I save my most delicate cookies for the last baking weekend so that they don't have to be frozen.

I also start shopping at Dollar Tree around October to catch the Christmas plates and containers as soon as they come in. I got the cutest Santa and Snowman plates last year for $1 each, which was great for making up my cookie platters. I make platters for my close neighbors, family, friends and the staff at my kids' school (about 15 platters in all), so it helps not to have to do it all at one time.

I hope that helps.

Lori

bubblezmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:29pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks Lori! I don't have a deep freezer so I won't be able to bake that far in advance. 20 different types of cookies?! Wow! I'll be happy if I learn how to make those leaf-shaped cookies that have chocolate on one side. icon_razz.gif

I will try to remember to hit the dollar store early this year.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 22

Hi Lori, I love baking for the holidays and I like to try different kinds of cookies, I really want to try to do the freezing method. Do you let your cookies come to room tempature before opening the container. And do all you cookies stay good until december? Would you share some of your recipes? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%