Block Of Butter On Counter All Day..oops..still Good?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm by CNCS

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #1 of 31

Earlier today around 1030am i took out a completely frozen block of unsalted butter and put it on the counter with plans to make some cookie dough this afternoon. At 2:00 it was still pretty frozen so i left it there. Then thats when i got busy and ended up going out for dinner etc.. So just now i realized it was up there. It feels cool, the house has been around 69degrees all day. Is the unsalted butter still ok to use or should i ditch it? I don't want to make anyone sick.

Suzanne

30 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #2 of 31

Oh its fine, here i leave butter out on the counter all the time. Unless its so hot that it will melt, its nice to have softened butter handy.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #3 of 31

. . . ditto as above . . . thumbs_up.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #4 of 31

I have done the same thing.. I refridgerated the butter and actually used it a couple of days later with no ill effects.

penney00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penney00 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #5 of 31

I always leave a stick of butter on the counter so it is soft. Never been sick from it.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #6 of 31

My husband stores real butter in the cabinet all the time. We have never had a problem. I keep the cooking butter in the fridge and soften as needed.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 31

Room temperature butter never hurt anyone (that I know). I always leave some out just to have it available (toast, quick icing, etc) except in the middle of summer.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #8 of 31

yep, its fine

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #9 of 31

I always leave my butter at room temp. I have a cabinet just for my cake stuff and I keep my butter in there. Even when I was growing up my mom alwasy kept a stick of butter in a butter dish on the counter.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 31

whew, thanks everyone..i feel better now. ;0) It's so expensive i hate to waste it. I guess i will be making some dough tommorrow.

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #11 of 31

Oh, yeah! Glad to know I'm not the only one. There's always a stick of butter on the counter and some in the butter dish.

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #12 of 31

I saw a shoe were they said if you could try to leave the butter out over night so it was completly @ room temp.

Blanca

funkycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkycupcake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 31

oh goodness yes it's still ok. like everyone else, growing up there was a stick of butter on the counter (in a butter dish lol icon_lol.gif ) mom keeps it in the cupboard all the time. she found out that butter doesn't really go bad. it's one molecule away from plastic. even flies won't touch it!! but the cat will.... icon_cool.gif

penney00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penney00 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycupcake

oh goodness yes it's still ok. like everyone else, growing up there was a stick of butter on the counter (in a butter dish lol icon_lol.gif ) mom keeps it in the cupboard all the time. she found out that butter doesn't really go bad. it's one molecule away from plastic. even flies won't touch it!! but the cat will.... icon_cool.gif

Yes the cat will lick it all up. I've accidentally left the cover off and found my cat licking away. tapedshut.gif Yes I tossed it.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 31

Glad I found this topic...I left two sticks out since yesterday and was just wondering if I could use them tonight. Now I know. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:

it's one molecule away from plastic.

Are you sure this isn't in reference to margarine? I thought I heard/read that somewhere...

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:

it's one molecule away from plastic.

Butter is a food product, which is made exclusively from milk, cream or both, with or without common salt, and containing at least 80 percent milkfat by weight.

I think your thinking of the other butter...Margarine

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #18 of 31

Yeah.. it's not butter that is almost plastic.. it's margarine.

I leave butter out too. I have it in the freezer until I need it and then I take it out and I also keep a stick in the cupboard in a butter dish since I like soft butter for toast and things like that.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 31

WHEW!! I am glad to hear I am not in the minority with the whole butter thing. I have always left my butter out .... also grew up that way.. but here lately I have been catching flack from some health nuts saying it is wrong

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 31

Just to add this straight from the mouth of the 2nd in charge of the local health dept. :

Plain butter is not potentially hazardous and is fine left at room temperature.

So, I leave mine out a lot too! icon_biggrin.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #21 of 31

I intentionally take my butter out the night before I make cake or icing so that it is super soft and ready to go. As everyone else has stated, I haven't killed anyone yet! icon_lol.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:01pm
post #22 of 31

I intentionally take my butter out the night before I make cake or icing so that it is super soft and ready to go. As everyone else has stated, I haven't killed anyone yet! icon_lol.gif

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #23 of 31

I ALWAYS LEAVE MY BUTTER OUT, NO PROBLEM

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #24 of 31

this just made me laugh......not because of the original posters question, but two years ago when i first started making cakes I bought like 8 lbs. of butter (there was a killer sale) and I left them in the grocery bag on the counter (didn't see it) over night and the next morning I opened it up and was like oh shooot!!!!!!!!!1 I threw away all 8 lbs. of butter.......then the NEXT day I was making toast adn reached for my stick of butter in my butter container ON MY COUNTER that had been there for like a week and was like oooooooohhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooo.........what did I do??????? LOL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #25 of 31

. . . some light reading . . . the margarine molecule thing . . . http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

ReneeLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeLynn Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #26 of 31

it takes a long time for butter to go rancid. My butter is always on the counter (in a butter dish). sometimes we don't use as much and it stays there for weeks. It has never gone bad. Nor will it go bad in the summer when the house is warmer. seriously, butter lasts for ever at all temperatures! (frozen, cold in fridge and room temp on the counter).

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #27 of 31

If you take a look at the box there is o where on it that says must be kept refrigerated or refrigerate after opening. Also my health inspector told me it doesn't need to be in there.
Sugar is also a natural preservative so I never put cakes that are finished in the fridge

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #28 of 31

We cut up pounds upon pounds of butter at the bakery and leave it overnight to soften. It's never gone bad and we don't have air-conditioning in the summer.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #29 of 31

I've read that the salt preserves the butter, so unsalted butter might be another story. Not sure though.

funkycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkycupcake Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #30 of 31

my bad. it is margarine im thinking of lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%