Never Thought I Would Ask...but How Much To Charge For This

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 28

I know it is based on region and areas and such, but I have NO idea where to even start on how much to charge for this cake...as well as how hard would this cake be? To help, I usually charge 4.25 for a fondant cake. This looks like a lot more work then just a fondant cake! And is the top fake? Any hints?
LL

27 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 28

please tell me someone didn't ask you for a quote on this thing?? That cake looks rediculously hard!! Looks to me like they're all hexagon cakes with all the added thingies on them!

Cake_Princess Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I know it is based on region and areas and such, but I have NO idea where to even start on how much to charge for this cake...as well as how hard would this cake be? To help, I usually charge 4.25 for a fondant cake. This looks like a lot more work then just a fondant cake! And is the top fake? Any hints?

Sorry The picture is showing up really distorted. I looks like there is royal icing work I could be wrong. But based on the intricacies of the cake I would think 4.25 is too low for this. I would think 8+.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 28

I think I'd start somewhere around $25 a serving but I can't see the photo real good--so I reserve the option to up that price. For what I can see I'd start there.

Deana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 28

That is a Bronwen Weber cake - the one that won Grand Prize at the 2005 Oklahoma Sugar Art Show.

My guess is that it isn't cake but dummies... and she worked on it for months and months.

Deana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 28

That is a Bronwen Weber cake - the one that won Grand Prize at the 2005 Oklahoma Sugar Art Show.

My guess is that it isn't cake but dummies... and she worked on it for months and months.

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 28

No less than $15 per serving....probably even higher. Yes, it will take you a very, very long time to complete!

alicegop Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #8 of 28

I"m going with.... "One million dollars" (cue in austin powers). $15 a serving would be a minimum to charge. Oh geez.

Niliquely Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #9 of 28

So how do you guys decide pricing then? I was asked to price a cake I did and I stood there looking very dumb for a bit since I have never had anyone actually buy one of my cakes. I was thinking like $1 a serving...I am not very good and they are just usually buttercream cakes. THen I come on here and people are talking about at least $3 a serving...???

leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #10 of 28

$40 per serving sounds about right to me. Because I wouldn't touch that order with a ten foot pole. But at $40 per serving, it's be the only cake I'd need to take that week.

Niliquely Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #11 of 28

Oh and Alicegop - I'm a fan of Corrie and I really like your quote on your signature!!! thumbs_up.gif

alicegop Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #12 of 28

Honestly, now that I think about it, I would not charge per serving, but really evaluate the amount of time. That cake is more about art than cake. If you can pull that off you deserve at least $50-100 per hour AFTER ingredients are factored in. Attorneys charge $200 an hour and up.... my accountant charged me $450 just to do my taxes and I know it didn't take him more than an hour or two. If they can charge that for plugging numbers into a computer program.... how much for for something truly grand and unique. Duff has a minimum $1000 per cake charge, even on the small ones. You aren't paying for the cake, you're paying for the talent. So that cake would be a minimum of $2000. And that is probably low. Have you seen what lovin' sullivan charges for a cake? For a small cake? I hope you value your talent and ask for $2000 or more.

Don't forget a delivery fee

Kathia1974 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #13 of 28

I would never make that cake, it looks really dificult.

indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #14 of 28

This picture might have more detail: http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/2005_prize_winners.htm

If you choose to do this one, price it so that it covers all the cakes you would have made in a month .... 'coz I think it will be the only cake you can work on during the month!

Eisskween Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #15 of 28

I couldn't begin to tell you, but WOW! My respect for taking on such a project. It's beautiful, but very work intensive.

Don't forget to post a pic. I am sure yours will be great! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

So how do you guys decide pricing then? I was asked to price a cake I did and I stood there looking very dumb for a bit since I have never had anyone actually buy one of my cakes. I was thinking like $1 a serving...I am not very good and they are just usually buttercream cakes. THen I come on here and people are talking about at least $3 a serving...???

Yep....and there are some folks on here who would tell you $3.00 per serving is a crime. I like the analogy someone posted comparing taking out 100 people (something like that) to a nice dinner and expecting to get desserts for less than $5.00 a serving. I know I just butchered that, but you can get the idea. Really put it into perspective for me. I haven't charged for cakes yet, other than cost of materials for co workers, but when I get the nerve up, and the talent level, I'm not going for less than $6, to START. I love baking and decorating, but I'm not going to slave over my creations just to only come out covering my costs! HTH somewhat icon_cool.gif

FromScratch Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #17 of 28

All I can say is WOW.. that would be A LOT of work. Too much to do as a real cake. It would take too long. I'd want to do it as a dummy and have kitchen cakes out back. I don't know how I'd price it.. HIGH.. that's for damn sure. icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

please tell me someone didn't ask you for a quote on this thing?? That cake looks rediculously hard!! Looks to me like they're all hexagon cakes with all the added thingies on them!

Yeap, a bride sent this to me for a quote...even before a tasting. I think she is looking to see how much it would cost before even trying the cake.

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deana

Thanks Deanna! I thought it looked familiar. I am not even sure I could handle a cake like this, even at 25 dollars a serving!

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:54am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This picture might have more detail: http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/2005_prize_winners.htm

If you choose to do this one, price it so that it covers all the cakes you would have made in a month .... 'coz I think it will be the only cake you can work on during the month!

Thanks Deb for the link! And I agree with you and Leah...I would have to charge a fortune for the cake as I don't think I could do any other cakes that week. And its for a MAY wedding. I will probably tell her it would run into the thousands...I doubt very much she will want it when I tell her that! haha!

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:09pm
post #21 of 28

I told her 75 dollars a serving and maybe more, as I would have to research it further. For 200 servings. I bet that is her entire wedding budget. I would be very surprised if she went for that! Some brides have very high expectations for their 4.50 or so a serving.

btw, I could never charge a dollar a serving..not even 3 dollars a serving. I would never make any money! Have you see the price of flour and sugar lately? Every time I put in an order, its higher. I hope with the price of gas going down, we will see some releif too!!!!

FromScratch Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #22 of 28

Good for you.. wouldn't you just crap your pants if she said "Sure!! Let's go for it!" icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #23 of 28

if she went for it for 75 dollars a serving..........I would go in MY pants FOR YOU!!!! lol

Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #24 of 28

Lori - that cake is beautiful and if you do do it, you deserve nothing less than $75 a serving. I hpoe she goes for it. Can't wiat to hear her response.

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #25 of 28

hahaha! I would fall over and die if she went for it. And fly some of you guys in to help me!

Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #26 of 28

I was gonna ask if you needed any help...I would love to work with you! (if you'd have me of course icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #27 of 28

I remember an interview with Bronwen about this cake after she won and she said that she only spent about 40 hours on this cake. icon_eek.gif I've looked at this cake alot and never even been able to figure out HOW she did it. icon_cry.gif It's an awesome and make sure let us know what happens. icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I remember an interview with Bronwen about this cake after she won and she said that she only spent about 40 hours on this cake. icon_eek.gif I've looked at this cake alot and never even been able to figure out HOW she did it. icon_cry.gif It's an awesome and make sure let us know what happens. icon_biggrin.gif

only 40 hours! I have never spent that much time on one cake...I am not even sure I would have the patience! hahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%