" How To Make A Wedding Cake"

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 5:09am by SeriousCakes

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.cheap-wedding-solutions.com/how-to-make-a-wedding-cake.html

Apparently it's easy, and you can really save lots of money doing it yourself! My favourite part is this:

To ice the cake, the easiest way is to buy a ready to use fondant icing. You will need to cover the cake in buttercream icing first and then roll the fondant icing to cover it - if it is a big cake put the rolled fondant icing on a cardboard plate and then slowly wiggle (technical term ;o))it in place. If the fondant icing is a bit sticky use icing sugar to stop it. Cut the fondant icing to shape after you have smoothed it in place.
You can now add your cake topper, flowers etc to finish the look.

Uh, yeh, good luck with that. icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

lol..............so why aren't we all cake decorators???????????// hahahahhahahha yeah right!!!!!!!!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7

LOL. These articles crack me up. Here's another oldie but a goodie:

http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingcakesfoodmenus/ss/decoweddingcake_10.htm

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 7

That last one with the step by step is funny.

"Step 6: Creating a smooth final layer of icing on the wedding cake"

There was nothing smooth about it LoL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 7

I like how the first one implies the "traditional" fruit cake would be easier. First, I dont' think anyone in the U.S. has served fruit cake in 100 years. Second, a quick search for fruitcake recipes show me they take at least 2 days in prep work (marinate fruit 2-4 hours; let batter sit overnight "to mellow") and have to bake 3-4 hours .... that's each layer/tier. I think part of the instruction was missing from one recipe that said "....set the tin of cake in an undisturbed place and every two before Christmas .... add a small glass of (liquor)." (every two what? days? hours?)

Yeah .... the TRADITIONAL fruitcake would be SO much easier! dunce.gif

I would really like to know ... and I mean really REALLY would like to know ...... has ANYONE who writes these articles ever actually baked a cake in their life? icon_confused.gif

Nice to know that all you need to do to stack a cake is cut the cakes level. Guess they never heard of support systems!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

"ask the baker if they will decorate a false tier (normally a box or polystyrene)"

Can you imagine someone trying to mask and fondant some old flimsy shoe boxes?

Holy cow! This kills me!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:09am
post #7 of 7

Hmph, it was articles like those that led me to believe I could create beautiful cakes in a matter of minutes. HA! My early cakes were flaming disappoints due to that kind of advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%