????? What Would You All Do ??????help Help Help

Decorating By geri4292adams Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 10:17am by sweetbn

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 32

Ok, here goes. Sorry this is long.
A lady that mu hubby works with is getting married and started asking me about doing her cake. She asked for me to send her a price list which I did. She then sent some pictures of a cake that she wanted me to duplicate. It is a 5 tier beige fondant cake covered in brush embroidery and handmade orchids cascading down from the top to the bottom. She said that she would only need to serve about 43 people. I emailed her back and stated that if she went with a 3 tiered cake it would be enough. I also quoted her $350.00 to make a 3 tiered version of it without the orchids and $400.00 for a 3 tiered version with me making the flowers. I also asked her to let me know if she wanted to ssave the top tier and if she had a pedastool, and if she needed me to deliver it. She wrote me back and said that the price that I quoted her is way too high and didnt want to spend that much and that one of her family members had told her to go to a chain store and get a cake. She also asked me what was making the price so high for the cake..... So now she's emailed me an dwants a quote for a 3 tiered cake with fondant, no brush embroidery. She just wants a 3 tiered fondant covered cake with sugar orchids and a real gold ribbon around the tiers.....Did I also mention that she now wants it to feed 50 something.

I sent her an email back stating that I would be making a custom cake to suit her and not one that was mass produced like at Wal-*art.. And that my time, talent, and supplies among other things is the reason for the price.

Actually what I did was give her a really really really good discount for the cake that she wanted. She should be thankful....

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Should I just tell her that maybe that store could help you more? PLease help me.....

I have added a photo of the cake she wanted minus the size. what would you all do?
LL

31 replies
Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 32

That is really beautiful!

Well, the first thing that jumped out at me was the amount of servings a 3 tier would feed. There certainly would be more than 43 servings if you went with the smallest combination 10/8/6. That combo would be good for the 50 something tho. So you could explain that the price factors in the amount of cake it would actually feed (xxx servings times x.x per serving).

Personally, I would tell her that you are sorry that you can't help her and then wish her luck. I can't imagine someone only charging $50 for all those sugarpaste flowers either. Once she shops around, she'll realize what a great deal you were giving her. Don't back down.

Good luck!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 32

run, DONT walk away for her. if theres one thing ive learned on here, is that when its starts out as a problem- it will become an even bigger problem!
the price you quoted her was soooooooo low! good luck finding THAT cake for the price you want!
one option MIGHT be to offer one or two dummy cakes, that may help with the pricing.
either way, good luck.
and btw - what a beatiful cake!

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 32

I would tell her to go somewhere else. If she's already being this rude and she doesn't even have a contract with you how is she going to act when you're paid and she's "owed" something? I can see this going downhill real fast!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 32

I agree with Trixyinaz... And yes that is a beautiful cake, no matter what size it comes in. I would stick with your price and when she finds out she cant get what she wants anywhere else she will probably call you back, But then you might have to charge even more !

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 32

Um, that b is crazy! That is a gorgrous freaking cake that I would easily charge $10/serving for and the original designer probably charges much more. Let her get her cake at safeway and see how she likes it.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 32

Stick to your price. Tell her that is the price and if she needs to spend less you can understand if she has to go elsewhere. No one else is going to replicate that cake for anywhere near $300-400. So she'll probably be back or have a crappy wedding cake.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 32

Ok, give me a moment to clear the profanity out of my reply to her...

Please... consider taking your... business... some... where else. I am... unfortunately very... busy that... weekend. Thanks for... considering me.

Actually, my reply would be this: "I'm sorry, I double checked my calendar and I am booked that weekend." And if she didn't give you a date yet, that would be wonderful because I'd use the same response and if she said, "Well, I didn't even tell you when!" I'd say, "Yes... I know."

I have a strict policy of not dealing with Bridezillas, and she is already on the fast track. I understand that some people have no idea what a cake costs, but she needs to check around before she slams your prices. I'm guessing that she did look around and you gave her a better price than the other places. I hope she DOES get a store cake. She deserves one.

Melvira Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 32

BTW... Is that a Michelle Bommarito cake? She does amazing work and I can totally see this being one of her miraculous creations!! Gorgeous!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 32

i was thinking it was a michelle doll cake, but didnt see it on her site . anyway, she charges an average of $12 per serving.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 32

your hilarious melvira and everyone on here is correct and i am not even an expert, but don't do it. like they said if it starts with problems, its not going to get any better. goodluck!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 32

I would politely say, I completely understand. I would even go so far as to give her a list of other great bakeries in town (that are more than you of course icon_twisted.gif ).

I have done that once when a client wanted cookies as favors to match a cake and they said they were to expensive. I gave them the websites of cookie by design and others. They completely changed their tune that my price was too expensive. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 32

did you give her a quote for the 50 serving just fondant with real ribbon?? I'd do that, and then I'd send her to a website where she can purchase gumpaste flowers already made. I just did a cake this weekend and they were soooooooooo thrilled with the price of the cake, it was bc with fondant ribbon and THEY purchased the gumpaste flowers and such and I put them on.....I think because it wasn't all wrapped up into ONE cost they felt like they got it for a real steal. Once you add on the cost of the flowers it always seems more expensive. Does she realize if she goes to wal-mart she is NOT going to get fondant (she'll be lucky to get perfectly smooth icing) and no gorgeous gumpaste flowers?? they make you pick your wedding cake out of a book!!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 32

Okay...I'm new to the cake world...besides being a consumer icon_smile.gif....and I haven't had the opportunity to make a wedding cake yet. HOWEVER, from my experience, a bakery in my area made my wedding cake. It was a sliver airbrushed stacked box cake (our colors were black and platinum)....with my florist adding our flowers to it on site. It fed 80 people and that sucker cost me $300!!!!

So if you are GIVING her a cake like that at $400 (with orchids)....she got a hell of a deal! Wish I knew you when I got married...sure would have had a killer cake!

So my advice is don't chase her...it's tacky and not worth it! She seems like a terror already! I would say, "why don't you go check around for prices from other bakeries, so that you can compare what you are going to get for the price" "Then make your selection because I know how brides need to work on that tight budget" Something to that effect should work...I would think she would come crawling back to you eventually.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 32

Sounds like it will not matter what you do she'll still be a problem. The price you quoted is way too low. Let her go to Wal-Mart they wont be able to do anything close to this cake. Sometimes making up an excuse to not do the cake is the best way to go, been there.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 32

Wow, my first thought when I read your price and saw the pic was "what a deal"! Ditto everyone else's thoughts on here...RUN!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 32

I second, third, and fourth what everyone else said. Spare yourself the headache, heartache, stress and aggravation of dealing with this person. I would tell her "I'm sorry, I don't think I'm going to be able to help you with this cake. I highly recommend Bakery A and Bakery B, they will take good care of you. Best wishes, xxx". Of course, as the others said, make sure you know that Bakery A and Bakery B will give her a price that makes her fully realize what a stupid mistake she made by questioning your price.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #18 of 32

I am sorry...i couldn't read everyones answers...But honestly, you are already giving her a low price.. If that price is out of her budget you should tell her that she needs to get a cake design that is in within her budget, is her who needs to change the style not you, your price. I wouldn't budge on this. I prefer to loose the customer, than to kill myself doing a cake that wont pay for my time working on it...
Edna icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #19 of 32

"Thank you for considering me for your upcoming event. I do understand budget is a concern for everyone. There are ways, like omitting a fondant finish for starters, that can reduce the price of your requested design. A consultation would be beneficial to discuss design and budget preferences. Please, feel free to contact me should you decide you would like to schedule a consultation to have me create a cake for your momentous occasion."

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 32

It's a Michelle Bohigian cake. It was in Brides Magazine. It's BEAUTIFUL! Your price for that cake was CHEAP! I like Mels advice thumbs_up.gif I would RUN away from her as far as you can icon_lol.gif

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #21 of 32

cake is by www.somethingsweetbymichelle.com .....her price was like $5000 for the orignal.............................

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:02am
post #22 of 32

I agree with everyone else that you need to stick with your price, which is not negotiable, and hope she goes away because she thinks it's too much. The last thing you want is some Bridezilla making your husband's life miserable at work because she isn't happy with the price of the cake you make her. It's likely to spill over there.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:02am
post #23 of 32

Can someone point out to me what part of this customer's response was rude? She isn't a cake decorator, has no idea how much it costs to make a cake, and probably is only familiar with grocery store cakes. You need to educate her, not put her down.

My goodness, it seems the minute someone questions you (you meaning anyone on CC, not anyone in particular) everyone calls them crazy, a customer to run away from, a holy terror, a rude customer. I just don't see that in every case, this being one. I'm sorry, it's just starting to get to me.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #24 of 32

RUN RUN RUN like its going out of style,educate her on what a wedding cake costs and direct her to someone else,tell her you are fully booked for that weekend and wish her well.Dont even bother, you do not need her stress cos believe what people have said it will only get worse.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:29am
post #25 of 32

Holy cow. That cake is super intricate, and gorgeous!

Walmart won't be able to do anything near the level of that cake.

Please stick to your price.

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #26 of 32

Michelle, I see what you are saying, and to be honest, when I replied to this thread I was embroiled in another thread about a problem customer and most likely let that flow over to my response here. When I went back just now and re-read the original post, it's not nearly as bad as it struck me the first time. I try not to do that, unfortunately, it happens when you are replying to and watching multiple threads. But... that being said, I think the reason that a lot of us say 'run' when we see something like this is that we've started to recognize the signs and patterns. You can see certain little things that clue you in that the customer is going to be at best a serious pain, at worst a major catastrophe!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #27 of 32

My answer to the Bridezilla: "Costco, sheet to feed 50, $19.99. Have a nice day.

Some people don't appreciate the work that goes into a designer cake. Those flowers are a lot of work, not to mention the rest of the cake. Write her off and save the date for a customer that appreciates you. She obviously thinks she can talk you down because of her working relationship with the hubby. Some people are like that and it only means more grief down the road.

Enjoy your day! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #28 of 32

I wouldn't change my price due to anyone's budget but I do believe a consultation is in order. The two of you may be able to come to an agreement(not dickering) on both price and design that will please you both. If she is still interested in you doing the cake, but the only issue is the price, maybe you could ask her if she is willing to compromise on the design in order to get closer to her budget. If she says yes, set a date for a meeting...come up with several designs that would contain the aspects or even give the feel of the design she desires. If she says no, then...."thank you for considering me....I wish you the best" (and know that you did all you could do to help her attain the cake of her dreams.

I don't consider the above as a compromise to your pricing ...just extending a little customer service.

edited to add: If the last thing they said to me was they were going to get their cake from somewhere else, I would let the last thing I said be, "thank you for considering me....I wish you the best". This b-t-b seems as though she's already trying cut her costs by deleting the work on the sides. I wouldn't let her go so easily.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #29 of 32

Thanks for all your replies. I now have alot to think over.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Can someone point out to me what part of this customer's response was rude? She isn't a cake decorator, has no idea how much it costs to make a cake, and probably is only familiar with grocery store cakes. You need to educate her, not put her down.

My goodness, it seems the minute someone questions you (you meaning anyone on CC, not anyone in particular) everyone calls them crazy, a customer to run away from, a holy terror, a rude customer. I just don't see that in every case, this being one. I'm sorry, it's just starting to get to me.

I understand your point, but I think the other side of it is...I can't walk into Stuart Weitzman and expect to pay Payless shoe prices. If I can't tell that the quality of Stuart Weitzman's shoes are far greater than Payless then that is my problem. I wouldn't say to the salesperson...oh these shoes are too expensive..I guess I will go to Payless or can you sell me some shoes for $19.99.

Even if the consumer is not aware of your quality, the polite thing would be to say, "Thank you, I will get back to you."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%