Making Glass Block Windows

Decorating By wuzzled Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm by dg10148

wuzzled Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

I'm not sure if they're just called glass blocks or what. I always think of them as "ice block windows." I want to make Mrs. Lovett's (from Sweeney Todd) in cake for Halloween.


Any thoughts about the easiest way to do that type of windows? Although it seems like the obvious answer, I haven't really done enough with sugar art to do anything, unless somebody's got a great tutorial. The only other thing I can think of is somehow using piping gel.

5 replies
karateka Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:12am
post #2 of 6

Poured sugar is the first thing that comes to mind. Anyone else?

sari66 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 6

poured sugar

dg10148 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 6

I would do poured sugar I would make as many form out of aluminium foil that there are windows and make a couple extra in case one breaks
then you only have to pour once and make sure it is kind of thin not to thick so it wont be to heavy for your cake then when the sugar is cool
I would pipe the smaller squares in after I put it on the cake hope this helps

wuzzled Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I'll get brave and try. The one time I tried poured sugar, it never hardened.

dg--I had the thought about foil frames, too, but I'm not sure how that works best. I'm assuming just a frame, and not a base (so it looks like a cookie cutter)? I envision leakage. Although... if I used a slightly wrinkly tin foil "pan" to pour into, it might give it some of that texture those blocks tend to have... Hm!

dg10148 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 6

wuzzled I would make it all out of aluminum foil sides bottom. Put it on a flat surface to harden. On getting it to harden you have to make sure it reaches the right temp for hard candy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%