Bottom Tier Collapsed While Delivering-What Do I Tell Bride?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 2:33am by indydebi

SweetResults Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 9

I delivered a cake Saturday - It was 4 tiers, the cake slid on the way and the bottom tier cracked beyond repair on the way. I took the top tiers off and set up the cake without the bottom tier. The bottom tier was pain gold with no decoration on it. The top 3 tiers had all the decor, so basically they got the design they wanted. I told the venue to keep the bottom tier in the back and just cut and serve it with the rest of the cake.

I did not call the bride that day because I could not see calling her just before she walked down the isle and possibly upsetting her when she wold arrive at the venue and see the cake with the correct design, if it had been ruined or altered in any way I would have called. Now I am not sure what to do - I know she was leaving on her honeymoon for Hawaii for this week. Do I email her to see how things went? I really believe the people at the restaurant took out the ruined bottom tier to show her, I told them they could certainly let her know about it, but they talked like they were going to parade the bottom tier out to the cake table when it was time to cut the cake! I told them it was perfectly fine to serve - the cake was not crushed, but the fondant was so cracked there was no repairing it. To cut it in the back and serve it - no need for everyone in the room to see it. So I am not sure what they did.

Anyone who is good with words have a good email for me to send? Do I bite the bullet and call her? WHAT DO I SAY???

Here is a picture of the design and a picture of the final cake:

8 replies
DollyCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 9

Great save! I would email her to let her know what happened and let her know to call you when she returns to discuss a partial refund or whatever you plan on doing. I think the final cake still looks very close to the original design.

Ironbaker Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

Aww, I'm sorry that happened but WOW that is a gorgeous cake/design!! Was it the bride's idea or yours? Very lovely. How tall is that bottom tier?

I'd call her to touch base. Especially since you don't know what the people at the restaurant did or said. Maybe you can feel her out to see what was said to her (if anything). Let her know you're following up to make sure she enjoyed the cake. If she starts in about the missing tier or that she saw what happened...then you can go on to apologize about the tier slipping but it being edible, etc. Maybe offer a future discount.

I'm sure a better wordsmith will come along here...

MacsMom Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 9

This happened to me, too, but I was fortunate enough that I had made extra just to be nice (she couldn't afford enough cake to serve 120, so she asked for one to serve 90 and had Italian wedding cookies). I didn't have to tell anyone about it, just kept the cake in the car.

What you might do is send a letter first congratulating her, adding that you hope the guests enjoyed the cake, and then admitting what happened and offer either a free single round 7 or 8" cake or a cake that would have been the same size at 50% off since they did serve your ruined cake. Mention that you didn't come forward on her wedding day and wanted to wait until they returned from her honeymoon so that she wouldn't have any unnecessary anxiety.

You may actually want to contact th evenue to make that is WAS served.

I'd be shocked if she didn't contact you, first, exclaiming the wonderfulness of her wedding cake ~ it's incredible! Absolutely gorgeous. thumbs_up.gif (I'm saving it icon_wink.gif )

SweetResults Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 9

This is the bride's invitation that she designed and printed herself. They had no design in mind, they were thinking seashells since they were going to Hawaii for their honeymoon - but when I saw the invite this is what I came up with for them.

SweetResults Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 9

And thank you all soooo much for your compliments!!!!! icon_smile.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

The cake is beautiful!! I'd contact her - a quick email to touch base if she is on honeymoon and then talk over the phone when she gets back - I find these things are always dealt best by TALKING. And it looks professional that you contacted her first. thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 9

The bottom tier is made up of 2 12" cakes, each was 2 layers torted into 4 with 3 layers of filling, so that tier alone was about 9" high. I had dowels in the bottom one with a cardboard cake round separating them. The very bottom was SUPPOSED to be a 4" tall 14" round cake. It was still in perfect shape to cut and serve, just not to be viewed. The next tier was an 8" and the top tier (which was an anniversary tier that I did not charge them for) was a 6". The topper is made up of a fondant plaque and the design was done in chocolate as a transfer and put on the fondant. The top tier has satin ribbon around it and I sponge painted the tree on the cake with red luster dust, I cut out heart shapes from a sponge and stamped those on. The hearts and balls were made out of fondant and put on the wires to match the ones on the invitation floating off to the symbol on top, which the bride told me was the Chinese symbol for Love.

I will start with an email and then maybe follow up with a call next week - UGH I hate phone calls! I will be pacing all over the house for this one!!

indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9

The email is a good idea. Invite her to contact you when she returns.

It happened to me ... kinda.

I made the cake all white instead of one tier chocolate. Bride said it was ok, but I could tell she was disappointed. The next day I sent her an email and told her that while she was very generous to say it was "ok" ..... it was not ok with me that I didnt' make what she ordered, and I offered her a $75 refund, citing, "While this won't correct the mistake I made on your wedding day, I hope it helps to cover any disappointment."

She read it while on her honeymon and was VERY touched that I made the offer.

I also had a slider last March. Bottom tier was crushed ... top 3 tiers were ok. I did the same thing you did .... set up the 3 tiers and we served the bottom tier from the kitchen. I showed the groom, the bride and the mom. They took it very well. I told them I would refund $200 .... the value of the bottom tier .... but it was still servable so they wouldn't be short any cake. They still gave my crew a $200 tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%