General Opinion Of Refrigerating A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By Zeunasc Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm by bashini

Zeunasc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeunasc Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 4

I am currently in the last Wilton class. Our final cake, a 2 tiered wedding cake, is going to be due in a week. I am going to be traveling this weekend, so I have to basically have it done on Thursday, even though the class isn't until the following Monday night.

So, I have already made all of the decorations (named a ton of fondant roses and leaves), and I have baked the individual layers (2 10" rounds and 2 6" rounds) and have them stored in the freezer. I am planning to cover and decorate the cakes on Thursday night.

My question is, what do I do with the cake? I want it to be edible after I present it in class, so I assume I am going to have to refrigerate it. I have heard bad things about refrigerated fondant. Should I store the covered layers cake boxes in the fridge, or just on cardboard circles, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 4

There are dozens of threads here with the same question.

Generally, the only risk is for condensation.

the cake should be boxed, and there should not be onions or other smelly stuff in the fridge.

The cooler the kitchen, the less likely condensation will form, and it will evaporate quickly.

Royal icing can soften, so you would not to put RI flowers in the fridge, but something like scrollwork would probably be fine if it softened.

Bright colors also might bleed if there is condensation.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 4

I have never used wilton fondant, so I can't say specifically how that product will react, but I refrigerate ALL of my cakes, without exception, and they are all done in Satin Ice fondant. I have never had any problems or issues from this. I usually just put them in fridge "bare" (no box or wrapping), but I don't store them with other foods that might impart an unpleasant odor or taste, so if the cake will be "comingling" lol, you might want to box it up, at least.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

Its a big NO NO for me. I have never put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and I never will. The fondant might go sticky and guey. I cannot take that risk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%