Crumb Coat Catastrophe!!

Decorating By Candes Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 1:17am by lakecake

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 11

My DH devil's food cake tears up so badly when I TRY to apply a crumb coat and it's driving me MAD! icon_mad.gif

I even tried to freeze it for a little bit but that didn't help at all. Is it the mix I'm using? Is there a chocolate recipe that would hold up?

I was literally using my fingers to make the icing stick on the sides of the cake. I was sooooo ready to smush it!

Thankfully it was just for my sister but it's happened to me before and that cake I ended up throwing it away.

HELP!

10 replies
smithcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smithcakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 11

Assuming you are using a crusting buttercream----thin down your crumb coat quite well with water. Smear it on, and yes it will look horrid. Do only the thin coat to grab those crumbies!

Let that thing crust up HARD---this can take hours or even over night if you have time.

Once it's crusted HARD---make sure your regular buttercream is soft and go over it carefully. Should cover like a charm that way!

Good luck!
thumbs_up.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 11

most likely, your icing is too stiff. Take some aside and add some liquid, milk, water, corn syrup- any of those things will soften the icing enough to get the crumb coat in place. AND IT WON'T TAKE MUCH SO BE CAREFUL. then chill it before icing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 11

My first thought is also that your icing was too thick. Add a little extra liquid. You want a soft thin, not runny. I haven't had issues with it taking longer than my regular icing to crust, nor do I ever put mine in the fridge to harden up.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 11

This might help you get the right consistancy...make it like condensed cream soup.

Candes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #6 of 11

I'll give it a try. I THOUGHT I had it thin enough.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:45am
post #7 of 11

Try smearing it on a napkin before the cake. You'll want it to glide across w/out effort

Candes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 11

Dandelion - Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #9 of 11

I agree, it sounds like it was too thick. I had a chocolate cake do the same thing to me today. It was just baked this morning though and I find if I bake everything the day before I never have that problem. I also find if you are having that problem you can dip your spatula in a glass of water before you try to spread the crumb coat and that helps it glide on better.

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 11

I am glad I read this before I go to frost my first cake. lol! I probably would have had it ripped right in two.. LOL!

lakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:17am
post #11 of 11

Reduce the water from 1 1/3 to 1 1/4 when making the cake. Bake the chocolate cake @ 300 degrees
Frosting- Use the Wilton recipee of 2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup Crisco, 8 tbls of milk and 2 lbs 10X sugar- make sure the cake is cool/cold before you frost and carefully glide the spatula over the cake to frost without lifting
Do a crumb coat and a second coat, placing the cake in the fridge to harden the butter/frosting between coats

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%