Scratch Bakers: How Early Do You Bake And Freeze?

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm by ShopGrl1128

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hello CCers:

Iâve recently starting baking from scratch with pretty much success, Iâve been using Toba Garretâs moist yellow cake recipe and I love the flavor and texture, however I baked and freeze a cake two weeks in advance and when I starting working on it I realized it was SUPER dry...I was very disappointed but I got it a bit better with lots of simple syrup and I also made the filling a bit more watery than normal to help with the moistness. The client emailed this morning and said she loved the cake! Yeahâ¦.probably because of the two gallons of simple syrup I poured in it!!!
The cakes were wrapped in several layers of saran wrap, then aluminum foil and then in a plastic bag as usual.

When I baked box cakes I used to bake weeks in advance and never had such problem, the cake actually tasted better and it was moister the earlier I baked it!
I guess box cakes are more forgiving when it comes to freezing. I used the WASC recipe for all my box cake: choc, white, red velvet. Etc.

Right now, Iâm running a test with Sylvia Weinstockâs yellow cake recipe to see if the sour cream in the recipe gives me better result than the buttermilk in Tobaâs.

I baked the test cake this past Saturday, right now is wrapped in saran and in the freezer as I normally do; Iâm planning to fill and crumb coat tonight and put it back on the freezer for a few more days and see what happen by next Saturday. My freezer is on the higher setting.

So back to my questions: how early do you bake? What technique/ method do you use to preserve the freshness and moisture of the cake? Do you think my freezer temp. is too high?

TIA!

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

I don't. The earliest I usually bake is Tuesday for that weekend... most often Wednesday (that's my big baking day, usually) and sometimes Thursday for small/simple orders.

I don't do anything special to "preserve" the cakes. After they are cooled I wrap them in saran until I am ready to use them. I do use simple syrup (usually flavored with a coordinating liqueur), but I use that for another layer of flavor more than anything, as my cakes are usually pretty moist to begin with, but since I do refrigerate, the syrup is a little insurance against them drying out.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with PinkZiab.
I don't freeze mine either. I'll start tomorrow with a few friday cakes,
but Wed. and Thurs.for the Saturday orders.
I have overbaked my white cake and it gets very dry and I too used the
simple syrup and it worked like a charm. But I've recently replaced the milk
with buttermilk and I like the recipe much better.
Good luck to you!
-Michelle

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 5

Im with soccermom17 and pinkziab, I only bake my cakes 3-5 days in advance and do not freeze them. Just saran wrap and a ziplock baggie and into the fridge. When I first started I tried freezing them and they tasted like they had been frozen. For me, the fresher the better, you can really taste the difference. HTH

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

Hummm? Soâ¦no freezing? Never thought about that option.

Now what am I going to do with the huge @zs freezer I bought?icon_confused.gif LOL! icon_lol.gif

Thank you so much! I will try your suggestions on my next cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%