Waste Of Money????

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 8:47am by banba

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 10

I read a local wedding messege board, mostly to see what the newest trends are with cakes and such and get new ideas.

Well today I was reading, and there is a post that asks brides what they felt was money well spent, and what they felt they wasted money on.

90% of them said the thing they felt was the biggest waste of money was the CAKE! icon_surprised.gif

I am shocked! But the comments were mostly that they spent $250+ on a wedding cake nobody ate because they had a dessert table also. One couple said they spent over $400 on a 4 tiered cake and only 3 slices were eated, on being the one she fed her husband.

Most were saying if they had to do it again, they would rent a fake $50 cake for photos only.

I was just kinda saddened reading this, I almost wanted to speak up and defend my cakes icon_sad.gif

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 10

Brides buy too much cake .... brides buy too many desserts .... brides wait until everyone has left before they cut the cake ..... brides buy their cake at "THE" bakery in town even tho' it tastes like crap and no one like to eat it .....

Then brides whine because no one eats the cake, therefore buying a cake is a waste of money.

oh, brother!!!!

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 10

Thats just stupid of the brides, why not have the cake cut up, wrapped and given to guests as they leave or have them on a table by the exit so people can help themselves as they leave?

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 10

My cake cost me $690.00 plus delivery. It was eaten down to the last crumb, as it was very good and people came back for seconds. I'd have to say it was probably one of the BEST places I spent money for my wedding. Of course we didn't bother with any additional desserts.....except for chocolate candies at each plate. I don't know. I go to a wedding, I expect to eat wedding cake. And my momma taught me that it's quite rude to leave a wedding before the cake is cut......so we're always there at least until then. icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 10

The cake is the whole point of the wedding. As a guest, I make sure I have cake and I get very disappointed when it stinks.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 10

well when I got married I didn't even want a wedding cake .. but that's because I don't like cake or frosting ... yuck to both ... my mom and dh both said .. NO ..THERE WILL BE CAKE .. so I picked out the design I liked and they did the rest ... the taste testing, picking out flavors, etc. .... it all got eaten that's for sure .. but now that I am into making cakes, when I go to a wedding I really scope out the cake and would be really disappointed if there wasn't a cake even if I don't eat it to this day.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 10

Personally, I've never felt that money spent on cake was a waste. A beautiful and delicious cake is worth more to ME than a bridal gown that costs a fortune and gets worn for two hours.

Agree that most brides probably get more cake (and food) than they really need. At all the weddings I've been to, people are usually very interested in eating a piece of cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 10

Heck, my son-in-law says if he goes to a wedding and there's no white cake with white icing, then he's taking his gift and leaving! icon_lol.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:55am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

The cake is the whole point of the wedding. As a guest, I make sure I have cake and I get very disappointed when it stinks.

I completely agree. I've been to a few weddings where the cake looked good, but was horrible. Either the flavor was really bad or it was way too dry.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:47am
post #10 of 10

Seems like a case of buying too much food. I would gladly for go the desserts and have the cake served instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%