If you are doing a November Throwdown (or any throwdown really), please let me know if you need someone to post the thread for you guys. I would love to HOST one for someone.
i'm kind of interested in doing one
How about if we have a "Best First Topsy Turvy"? The rules are simple: It has to be the first time you have tried the method you are using, whichever method you choose and it has to be real cake, not a dummy.
There is a topsy that I've been wanting to try, but haven't had a deadline, so it keeps getting pushed back. this might give me a dealine.
I love your idea Jill. Come on CC'ers. I will be happy to host your throwdown. We must have someone wanting to challenge Jill?
bring it on!!!
I'm so excited... c'mon, who's in with me?
I would love to do a topsy turvy (never having done one and intimidated by them) but I'm willing to try one!
Count me in!
All righty then! I think we have at least one November Throwdown between Jillmakescakes and MNSnow. Jill, do you accept MNSnow's challenge? Are you ready to go up against her?
Anyone else wanting to challenge someone to a Throwdown in November....bring it on!!! This is a lot of fun and I'd be more than happy to be your HOST as well.
Here are the rules:
1. Any member may challenge another CC member to a TD. The TD will all begin and end on the specified dates so all pictures of completed cakes can be uploaded for judging at the same time. This will make it easy for all CC members to judge each TD photo, and, all winners can be announced at the same time.
2. Throw Downs will begin on the 1st day of every month. They will end in exactly 3 weeks from the start date, at which time your pictures will be sent to the person designated to upload them for you and your challenger. You will have until 3:00 pm CST on that date to get your pictures sent to the designated picture poster of your particular TD.
3. You may submit up to 3 photos for judging.
4. Fondant, Gumpaste, Sugarpaste and/or Buttercream, you pick your mediums to decorate your cake with. TD challengers may use any decorating medium combinations they wish as long as it is edible.
5. Loser is the poster of the new throwdowns. This means the loser of a TD will upload pictures for the subsequent judging.
6. No Sheet cakes allowed.
7. Throwdowners should be as equal in decorating skills as possible. If you are a TD winner please try to be fair and choose a member with "equal to or greater than" decorating skills you possess.
8. No plastic, metal or other non-edible purchased Toys on cake of any kind. Everything must be edible with exception of the cake board and supports.
Competitors may use wires,straws, and dowels for supports. These supports should be hidden in the cake and not visible by viewing the cake.
9. The 2 TD Challengers will choose the theme of cake to be designed.
10. "Any non-winning CC member may only participate in a Throw Down 1 time in a 12 month period." "Only the current winner of a Throw Down will continue on" Once this winner loses he/she must wait 12 months before participating in another TD".
11. "Everything on the cake, including the cake, has to be crafted and decorated entirely by the cc member participating in the TD". No help from anyone else. Exceptions; You may have help with the cutting of cake boards or structual support.
12. Only 2 members may compete in any particular Throw Down. However, many Throw Downs can be going on at one time. A TD isn't a TD if there are more than 2 competing a TD.
13. Any shape pan for bottom layer but can NOT be larger than 12".
14. Cakes are to be no more than 2 tiers or stacks.
15. Cakes must be real....no dummies, cake dummies that is
If you accept this challenge, I will be your host for the TD. If anyone else is looking for a HOST to their TD, I'd be more than happy to post for you as well.
The TD starts on November 1st. I will need your photos by 3 pm CST on Saturday, November 18th. Once I have both contestant's photos, I will post immediately and let the voting begin.
Mnsnow- I accept your acceptance of my challenge
After looking at your pics, however, I'm thinking I know who the winner will be (MnSnow). It will be nice to challenge myself! I'm, so excited
I only have one concern about the rule-- it says that the cake can't be more than two tiers-- since we are doing topsy cakes, can we amend that rule? The effect isn't quite the same for just two tiers as it is for three?
also, do we just email the pics to you? how does that work?
NOVEMBER THROWDOWN - TOPSY TURVEY
MSSNOW vs. JILLMAKESCAKES
CONGRATS!!!! We have our first November TopsyTurvey Throwdown with two great decorators!!
All you guys need to do now is PM each other to determin your theme....it can be whatever you want.....TopsyTurvey Pilgrim Theme, TopsyTurvey Thanksgiving Theme, TopsyTurvey 1950's Theme, etc. Whatever you guys want your theme to be, but you have to agree on it.
Yes, I don't see why we can't amend the rule and let you have up to 3 tiers. That sounds fair. So the new rule is you can have up to 3 tiers.
When you are done with your cakes, just send me your pictures. I will PM each of you with my Email address - its easier that way. Your photos should not be any smaller than 640x480 or 480x640 (it's hard to see the details in itty bitty photos). Make sure to get some good angles and closeups and send me your 3 best photos that SHOW off your cake.
Don't forget, I'll need your photos by 3 pm on November 18. I will then post your photos in a thread in GENERAL FORUM and let the voting begin. The voting will last for 7 days.
Good luck to both of you....can't wait to see your works of art!
Anyone else want to do a throwdown? Find yourself a partner and sign up here. I'd be more than happy to HOST your throwdown also.
We have determined that our cakes can encompass thanksgiving, christmas, hanukkah, winter or anything in the last two months of the year! Thank you for hosting this! I'm very excited, as is MnSnow!
YAY! Ahhhh, I see the theme now. Sounds like you guys worked out a plan. Best of luck to the two of you.
Anyone else gonna challenge someone? Hopefully the winner of the October TD finds someone to challenge, then we'll have two great throwdowns! Maybe we can have three or four.
It's not too late to find yourself a partner for the November TD. Please post here if you want to participate and find yourself a partner!
This is all very new to me but sounds like a lot of fun! I'm still trying to understand what its all about. I'm new and havent done many cakes period...much less a topsy turvy. I would be interested in giving it a shot, but the deadline is too soon. Are we doing any for December??
Hi guys! MsSnow (Kathy) is sick and can't meet the deadline so both she and Jill have agreed to postpone their entries until the last weekend in November.
JJandHope - all you have to do is challenge someone to a TD in December. You will want to find someone that is the same skill level as you. The rules are posted above so just read through them. There are no prizes, just some fun to challenge yourself and make a cake for all of us to oooogle over . If you have specific questions, fire away!
JJandHope - all you have to do is challenge someone to a TD in December. You will want to find someone that is the same skill level as you!
LOL! Any Kindergardeners on the site? I'm looking for a match for a throwdown! Someone with the same skill level......LOL!!!!