Cake Base For Funky Colored Wedding Cake

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm by Ruby2uesday

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 16

I am doing my SIL's wedding cake this weekend. The colors are very bright yellows, reds and oranges, not fall colors, but primary colors. I am doing 5 square tiers 4, 6,8,10,12 inches. Any ideas on what I can use for a fun/funky cake base? The plateau just seems too traditional given the vibrant colors.

Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 16

I would just get some cake circles and stack em' up and look for some funky ribbon that incorporates some or all of the colors, that's what I did for this funky cake I did!!
LL

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 16

i would get a piece of wood from the hardware store its cheap like $4 and go to the craft store you can get the lil wood balls paint them to match and just glue then to the wood

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 16

oh yeah, and don't forget all the funky scrapbooking papers and wrapping papers you could cover the board in those too with some clear contact paper and add a nice ribbon!! You'll want a nice sturdy board for a cake that size. However, I assemble cakes on site now so they don't usually get moved around once they're on the board anyhow.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #5 of 16

I like to look in the fabric department of Walmart for neat trims. Take a look at the wedding cake in my photos that is pink and green to see what I am talking about.....Use a piece of plywood and glue PVC end caps to the bottom.........cover with a pretty paper like the others suggested, and cover the edge of plywood with the colorful trim. Mix up and use different colors!! I think it will be so neat. icon_lol.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 16

OMG! I just thought of something!

One Christmas I made custom, wooden lap boards for all of my nieces and nephews. I bought them unfinished at Hobby Lobby. Then I found fabrics that reminded me of each of them. I bought Heat 'n' Bond iron on vinyl that you can get at Joann's and other fabric stores or order online. I fused the vinyl to the fabric, then glued the fabric to the board, I trimmed the excess around the board, then glued gimp trim around the edges. You could TOTALLY do this for cake boards! (Did I just break into valley-speak?)

You wouldn't want to do this for every client, but it could come in handy for special clients or for your own use. Since it can be wiped clean, it can be reused. And you could add the little wooden ball feet to it, which is a nice touch and helps you get your fingers under the board. You would definitely want to use a cakeboard between the bottom cake layer and the vinyl. Now that I've thought of this, I think I need to make some of these in birthday and seasonal prints for office cakes.

Scrapbooking paper is definitely a good idea, but this would be an option when your board is larger than the paper. And, it opens up a world of options. You could pick up some nice upholstery fabric scraps and make some REALLY nice boards that no one else has to offer.

Sorry for rambling...but when I have a lightbulb moment the adrenaline kicks in!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:38am
post #7 of 16

A pedestal stand with funky beads hanging down! I have this pic saved from www.verydifferentcakes.com that I think is so cool....
LL

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #8 of 16

Ooooh! I LOVE them! You could cover a board in vinyl-coated fabric. Trim the board with coordinating beaded ribbon. Then mount the board on a chunky wooden candlestick that you've painted in colors to match the board! And, voila! A one-of-a-kind, funkadelic cake stand!

Ooh! I want to make one. RIGHT NOW!!!! icon_biggrin.gif But instead I'll go to bed so I can wake up early and bake. My wheels are really turning now...I'll never get to sleep. icon_cool.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 16

...Later the next day

Woke up with this on my mind...Told you my wheels were turning. Had to run to WalMart to get ingredients for a last minute cake that I'll be bringing to a party tonight. Decided I needed a funky cake stand to display it on. (Don't want to risk breaking one of mine.)

So I bought the trim at WalMart. I already had all the other stuff. Made this in less than 30 minutes. (Actually, creating the tutorial on Picnik.com took longer than making the cake stand). And what's so great about it is that I can make several different boards and change them out as the occasion dictates.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and inspiration! I love Cake Central! Y'all rock!

Click here if you want to view or print the original size version.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 16

Wow Kim this is beautiful and can be used so many different ways. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks!

jillmakescakes: If you like the style of my stand, I saw some colorful beaded trims that you could use to totally trick out your SIL's cake board. You could find a wooden candlebase and paint it a single color or stripes then hit it with a gloss coat for a fabulous cake stand. I bought my candlestick from WalMart last year. They still carry them here, but that doesn't mean you'll find them at your nearest store. But maybe Target, Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, or any of those stores that carry closeouts and odd and ends. Since I used glue dots, which are REALLY sticky, you could even use a glass candlestick or you could use any clear glass or ceramic vessel that's wide enough to be sturdy, for a super funky base, just by turning it upside down.

Good luck and be sure to post your pics! icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #12 of 16

Kim, you are so crafty! That's beautiful!! icon_surprised.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #13 of 16

Ok, so I'm loving the funky beads!!!! I actually went easy and just used teh globe pillar sets and covered them in fondant... like this
LL

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 16

Perfect! Anything more would have been too much because it would have fought with the design.

Great job on the stand and the cake!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 16

I love it!!!

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 16

that looks GREAT! what a funky design!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%