Help! Wedding Cake Fell, And I Need Your Help!

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm by KHalstead

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKESHERWAY

oh God, you guys it was aweful! That phone call could not have gone worse!

So, i call her and (immediately she is very cold and mean acting) apologized that it happened and explained to her how my cakes are like my children and that I love my brides so much and want only the very best cake for them, etc.

I then told her that I spoke to the manager and that he said the cake stood for an hour and 45 minutes after the doors opened and guests arrived (she said it fell immediately which would have been 20 minutes after I left it) and that after starting to lean it finally fell. I also explained to her that only one tier was actually damaged and was not served and that the bride and groom were able to save a tier for their anniversary. I then explained to her that the slide in the car didn't actually cause damage to the cake and that really the cake was supported by dowels and that the floor movement was most likely causing the plates to shift on those dowels, making the structure unbalanced and weak.

You can't say with 100% certainty that the slide did not cause the cake to crack internally without causing any visible cracking of the icing. I have had this happen before. The only reason I knew there was a cracked internally was due to the fact I had the cake on a glass plate. When I looked underneath sure enough there was a crack and the icing was perfectly intact.

Quote:
Quote:

I told her that I am 100% dedicated to creating cakes as perfectly as possible and that I wasn't completely happy with the cakes levelness and so I took the cake down, and rechecked all the dowels and made it perfectly level and then showed this to both managers, etc. I made it very clear that the cake falling was really not my fault.

Ok this was good. Assure the customer you put great care into creating your product and you care about the quality of your product.

Quote:
Quote:

She then (after cussing and name calling) sayssomething about me giving her a full refund. I said, I am happy to refund a partial amount but that since it wasn't my fault,[\\b] no full refund would be given. I first offered her a $150 gift certificate (the cake total not including delivery, etc fees was $416) she starts dropping the "F" bomb and threatening to "ruin me". So I said even though I am not at fault, I will REFUND $200 and that was it. Well, she started saying that I should giver her a full refund and I should have moved the cake table.

This is where you went wrong. VERY WRONG!!! First of all you should have acknowledged that you were partially to blame for the cake collapse. Yes the cake was level. Yes the cake was standing when you left. However, as the cake designer you should have used your critical thinking skills and insisted the cake table be moved. As I mentioned previously simply expressing your concerns is not enough. You needed to act on it by either moving the table or having a waiver signed.

Quote:
Quote:

I told her that the contract states twice that it's the brides responsibility to provide a safe and secure table and environment for the cake and that after I leave, it's no longer my responsibilty. Then I realized she never SIGNED IT!!! And what's worse is that the mother KNEW this as though they didn't sign it on purpose! Why I didn't catch that I don't know!

WRONG again!!!! As the Cake Decorator YOU are the EXPERT. Most people don't even know how to properly carry a cake let alone the intricacies that go along with setting up cake. As a cake decorator if you get to a venue it's YOUR responsibility to make sure your product is set up on a secure table and in a secure location. If your cake is in A high traffic location or it's set up right behind a door that's going to be constantly bumping the table you need to address that problem and make sure something is done about it. If nothing is going to be done about it make sure a waiver gets signed. Walking out and saying I set it up and it's not my responsibility is not the way to go. Think of it in terms of a contractor building a skyscraper on a faulty foundation that he knows will fail. Well when that building comes down you can bet there will be lawsuits and he will be involved for knowingly building on a faulty foundation.

Quote:
Quote:

Anyway, after hearing her call me every name in the book and threatening my business and reputation, I apologized again and then she says, well we're not returning your equipment! I said well then figure that as your refund. I then went straight to the bank with the deopisit check (which she will probably stop payment on). So I am out the silver cake plateau and all my separator plates, etc. I finally calmy said I truely am sorry, but I really did do the best that I could have done and if you feel the need to act this way and want to try to ruin my reputation, then so be it but I feel that my work speaks for it's self and that though I may lose a few potential customers, my business will survive.

Did your contract include a list of equipment that she needed to return to you? I am a fan or always cashing deposit cheques and keeping the money aside. This way if the equipment is damaged or not returned then the client can't stop payment.

Quote:
Quote:

So I ask you guys...it will survive right??? I feel proud that I created a beautiful cake, tried to work with her on the problem, to what I felt was reasonable, handled myself in a professional manner and did what I felt most comfortable doing.

I have found part of professionalism is acknowledging when you are wrong and being able to own up to it. I know sometimes saying we are at fault can be a blow to our egos but it's part of doing business and growing as a person. Trust me as a nurse I deal with many different personalities everyday. I can truly say I have just about seen it all.

Quote:
Quote:

I certainly have learned MANY lessons with this one and wish I could learn all the other lessons BEFORE doing my next wedding cake this weekend!

So what do you all think of how it went? icon_smile.gif

OH! I was also not supposed to have to put the flowers on the cake as that was written as the florists responsibility so I didn't charge her for that work though I had to do it anyway as it turned out! UGHH!

Personally I am not a fan of letting the florist finish up a cake. Thats like asking another artist to come in and add the finishing touches on my masterpiece.

You do great work. Keep your head up.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #32 of 63

Oh I would so love to see that video if I was you!!!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #33 of 63

Sorry you had to go through all of that. Sounds a little fishy to me too about the cake fell but later he was cutting the cake? How do you cut a cake that fell?

The stress free rings are just that - STRESS FREE. They are pricey but to me they are worth their weight in gold. I don't have to cut dowels or any other type rod and I don't have to worry about making it level to exactly the highth of the dowels of the Single Plate System. I have two sets of Stress Frees so I have enough no matter how big the cakes are. I also run a sharpened wooden dowel down through the middle of the cakes into the 1/2" foamcore to transport.

Earlene Moore has a page on her website about them....

http://www.earlenescakes.com/newringsupportset.htm

and you can order them here

http://www.weddingcakesupports.com/

I always take at least a $150 deposit on them that will be returned when I get my rings back. I show them to my brides and they understand they must get them back. I always tell the staff at the venues that the rings are in the cakes and that they need to go to the bride or her mom or whomever is in charge.

One nice thing about having the rings and them returning them is I always get feedback from my brides on their wedding cake! My stress frees have never let me down and I don't do wedding cakes without them!

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #34 of 63

Hi again everyone- I am going to buy either the sps or the rings in the morning but was sondering if the sps works on square cakes? Anyone know which one I should go with?

Also, cakeprincess mentioned that I should have accepted blame for the cake falling because I should have used critical thinking skills and insisted that the table be moved or move it myself. I have to say something about this becasue this is what the brides mom was arguing at the end when nothing else work. Thanks to cakeprincess for her post but I would just like to explain a bit.

I go over my contract with my brides and make sure that they know it's up to them to provide a safe place for their cake and should they have any questions or concerns, to call me first and discuss issues also with the reception coordinator. Having said this, I did in fact express my concerns about the floor and after being told to go ahead and put the cake on the table, warned them that the floor would cause the cake to become unstable and possibly fall. They said, this is the center of the room and the centerpiece of the reception and this is where the cake needs to be. I am not going to stand around arguing with them but I did make it clear to them what may happen. They of course promised no one would walk on the floor.

Now, I don't know about you but I do not take staff with me to set up cakes and so there was no way I would have been able to move this table around the room especially since there wasn't anywhere to go with it unless I felt like rearranging a room full of 8 ft tables!

Yes, this has taught me to add a few things to my contract and to look into a waiver form at departure but I really don't even see how that would have helped because if the manager had signed it, this irrate mother would have still looked to me for blame and refund. If I had called the bride, she would have had to talk to the manager who would have said the same thing "The cake is level and stable and we will just keep everyone off the floor until you arrive as there really isn't anyway for us to rearrange the room at this point." Then the cake still would have fallen and I would still be listening to an irrate mother wanting her money back.

I am trying to figure out a departure form to at least CMA more but still think that it's really pointless when it comes down to it. If they are unhappy, they are unhappy. And really, even if I had given all her money back, she still would have been irrate and bad mouthed my work only then I would have assumed blame for something that I feel was ultimately not my fault.

I am putting it behind me and focusing on the next series of cakes. Lessons learned, new equipment will be purchased, and contracts changed. Thank you so much to all of you who offered your words of support and encouragment and words of wisdom. I have learned so much from all of you and hope that maybe some of you who haven't had a cake fall yet, will learn lessons from me on how to avoid it! Love to you all!!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #35 of 63

Hi,
This incident sucks for you and for the bride and groom. I have REFUSED to set up a wedding cake before when I didn't like the unsteady table, uneven floor, and temporary shifting dance floor in a tent. I can only remember these 3 instances. It's been a long 20 something years.

Each time the bride had to be phoned by me, while she was getting ready to be married. The venue people were totally pissed with me because they had a screaming bride on their hands.

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself to these people at the venues. If the floor moves REFUSE to put your cake on it, period.

I wonder if the incident involving the wedding party was a brawl with 2 of them landing on your cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #36 of 63

I agree with Leah, I LOVE my SPS!! It really works & I love it. thumbs_up.gif
Your cakes are really beautiful too, I just appreciate the confidence the SPS now gives me.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #37 of 63

I am so sorry that happened to you....your cakes are lovely. It is evident that you put your heart in each one. That is why cake disasters are so painful.

Tomorrow is another day and with each tomorrow you will feel better.

Hold your head up and go bake another cake girl!

icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #38 of 63

First off, gorgeous cakes. Secondly, do not let this stop you. Next, thanks for posting your problem. Everytime some one posts these, I get tons of advice secondhand. Great learning for everyone. And finally, NEVER let someone curse you out. I have learned that any reasonably educated adult should be able to voice their opinions, concerns, and complaints without using profanity. I have a friend who is the finance manager in her father's business. We recently had the discussion about how, even if a customer is in the right, the second they start swearing her father has told her to end the conversation, as that's what he does. You can do it in a polite professional manner. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Soandso I want to address your concerns, but if you want this conversation to continue any further, I'll have to ask that you refrain from using unneeded profanity, or I'll have to end it." While in the presence of my closest friends, I do not bite my tongue, and often would embarrass a sailor. However, as aggravated as I can get when dealing with customer service issues (and trust me it's often as it seems so few believe in it anymore) I get firm and sometimes reasonably irrate, but I do refrain from swearing at people as I believe if you want to be respected, you have to treat others with respect as well. A professional conversation should remain that by both parties involved.

I hope you get a copy of that video of the cake falling and maybe even some pictures of the cake beforehand. The wiggly floor sounds to be a huge culprit. Live and learn. After reading so many of these where venue issues played such a part, I have gotten to where I go in and investigate before I bring the cake in. Luckily for me the last few cakes I have done had huge heavy marble topped tables for the cake to sit on. The last one even had the cake area roped off so that you could look, but not get close enough to touch the table, let alone the cake. (Thank goodness, because I had to repair some icing on site, and though from a little distance you couldn't see, up close, I was beating myself up over it.

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:06am
post #39 of 63

Please don't let this misfortune stop you. I have just looked at your website and your cakes are wonderful. They are very beautiful and you are very gifted in cake decorating. It would be such a loss if you were to stop. Some times you just have to take a deep breath and write it off and sweep it into the past as a learnng experience and take a step forward into tomorrow and better days ahead. And there will be better days the way you can decorate cakes, and cookies and cupcakes. I say....
Go Getum Girl you rock

Barb

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:28am
post #40 of 63

Agian so sorry you went though that. Don't give up you have wonderful cakes. Like you said just focus on your next cakes. And good luck.

Cake_Princess Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:53am
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKESHERWAY

Also, cakeprincess mentioned that I should have accepted blame for the cake falling because I should have used critical thinking skills and insisted that the table be moved or move it myself. I have to say something about this becasue this is what the brides mom was arguing at the end when nothing else work. Thanks to cakeprincess for her post but I would just like to explain a bit.

I go over my contract with my brides and make sure that they know it's up to them to provide a safe place for their cake and should they have any questions or concerns, to call me first and discuss issues also with the reception coordinator. Having said this, I did in fact express my concerns about the floor and after being told to go ahead and put the cake on the table, warned them that the floor would cause the cake to become unstable and possibly fall. They said, this is the center of the room and the centerpiece of the reception and this is where the cake needs to be. I am not going to stand around arguing with them but I did make it clear to them what may happen. They of course promised no one would walk on the floor.

Let me tell you something people will promise you one thing and when The sh*t hits the fan they will run the opposite direction and leave you to clean up the mess. If I were in your shoes I would have insisted the table be moved before I even set up if it was not satisfied with the location. If the manager at the venue insisted that the table can't be moved contact the bride or someone that she has appointed to make decisions for her and let them know the situation. Either the manager of the venue or one of the bride's people should sign your waiver before you leave the site. As I told you before. Look out for yourself, no one else will. CYA!

Quote:
Quote:

Now, I don't know about you but I do not take staff with me to set up cakes and so there was no way I would have been able to move this table around the room especially since there wasn't anywhere to go with it unless I felt like rearranging a room full of 8 ft tables!

Staff at venues are usually quite good at helping move stuff around. Most of the places I have been to want to make sure the event is pulled off without any major hiccups.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this has taught me to add a few things to my contract and to look into a waiver form at departure but I really don't even see how that would have helped because if the manager had signed it, this irrate mother would have still looked to me for blame and refund. If I had called the bride, she would have had to talk to the manager who would have said the same thing "The cake is level and stable and we will just keep everyone off the floor until you arrive as there really isn't anyway for us to rearrange the room at this point." Then the cake still would have fallen and I would still be listening to an irrate mother wanting her money back.

I am trying to figure out a departure form to at least CMA more but still think that it's really pointless when it comes down to it. If they are unhappy, they are unhappy. And really, even if I had given all her money back, she still would have been irrate and bad mouthed my work only then I would have assumed blame for something that I feel was ultimately not my fault.

I would include somewhere in there that the bride should have someone at the venue at The time of delivery to sign off for the cake. That person would be responsible for making sure the cake is in good condition (i.e. icing not falling off etc) and it's in a location you feel is relatively secure. This person should be able to act on behalf of The bride to authorize any changes such as speaking to the venue manager to have a table moved because there is a potential danger of the cake falling if left in the current position.

Quote:
Quote:

I am putting it behind me and focusing on the next series of cakes. Lessons learned, new equipment will be purchased, and contracts changed. Thank you so much to all of you who offered your words of support and encouragment and words of wisdom. I have learned so much from all of you and hope that maybe some of you who haven't had a cake fall yet, will learn lessons from me on how to avoid it! Love to you all!!!!

I hope all goes well. Keep us posted and try to get back your equipment.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:27am
post #42 of 63

Life is about learning from your mistakes and we have learned from yours, so thank you for sharing and preventing us from repeating them because I am sure that without CC, we'd be making a lot more and a lot worse! We've got some smart ladies here! I would not have thought about the check being cancelled, that's a very good tip!

I am wondering if you take photos of your cakes once they are set up? I think it might be an additional back up of proof that the cake was standing when you left. Now, I am thinking it might be a good idea to take photos of the location of the cake table as well in relation to bands or speakers. KWIM?

Best wishes on your business! Hang in there! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm
post #43 of 63

First off, your cakes are AWESOME!!!! I love them and you can tell you take pride in only serving the best!

Secondly, yes, you may get some bad publicity from this bride and her mother, but I think you will rise above. Your work speaks for itself and if this is your only complaint.....you'll get passed it.

And lastly, sorry this happened. The cake was very pretty. I have no words of wisdom but just wanted to show some support.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

I would include somewhere in there that the bride should have someone at the venue at The time of delivery to sign off for the cake. That person would be responsible for making sure the cake is in good condition (i.e. icing not falling off etc) and it's in a location you feel is relatively secure. This person should be able to act on behalf of The bride to authorize any changes such as speaking to the venue manager to have a table moved because there is a potential danger of the cake falling if left in the current position.

To me this is my job. If the bride has to have someone on site to inspect the cake then she should book with someone else.

Just in general, I think these contracts of ours are way way out of hand.

On my order blank I have the specifics of the cake & delivery, when how much money is due, it's non-refundable, the cut off date for changes, the size of the servings, I reserve the right to (in other words) make executive decisons. That's it.

I mean if the sky falls we'll just have to deal with it at that time--I don't list every possible ordinary and out of the ordinary scary freaky thing that might happen.

Except of course the part about when/if the pod people finally take over the galaxy and rob the wedding of its cake. You know how much the pp love thier cake. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CAKESHERWAY Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm
post #45 of 63

Well, today is another day! I am still running it over in my mind constantly but do feel much better about it today. When I talked with the casino manager I did tell him that this was not the last wedding that I have booked at that casino (I have a few left this year and several booked there for next year) and that the next time I set up there I would only set up on the carpet floor, never the wood floor again. Of course he didn't like this at all and went on to talk about how they would just keep people off the floor...blah, blah, blah, and I did firmly tell him that I would be speaking to my brides ahead of time and if it occurs again, I will refuse the set up.

Lesson learned. We can't all be perfect. I agree about the contract thing getting out of hand. I do think that I will take the idea cake princess had about having the bride have someone there to sign off on the cake but I won't require there be a signature, just let her know that if there isn't someone there to inspect and sign she is waiving her rights completely. Now, obviously, if I was to be at fault for something, even if there was no signature, I would still want to make it right with the bride as I do believe that I work for them, not against them.

All night last night I was dreaming about the SPS vs. the rings! Does anyone know yet if SPS also works on Square cakes?? That seems less expensive but at this point I am not too concerned about the price tag, just the assurance.

Thanks again everyone!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #46 of 63

First off I wanted to say come here and I'll give you a hug!!! I had a wedding cake completely collapse because of a shifted dowel rod!! I was there as it crumbled though and did my best to save it

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=591133&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wedding&&start=0

Since my COLLAPSE, (not only the cake collapsed that day) I have learned some valuable lessons.
1. don't stack cakes with wilton dowels.....EVER
2. use sps, believe leahs when she tells ya...she knows what she's talking about
3. make the bride designate someone to sign for the cake, and give them a form to sign absolving you of any wrong doing once it is signed for.

The fact of the matter is, there are a lot of things (music, moving dance floor, kids running around, drunk guests, etc.) that can cause a cake to fall. If she wanted you to stay behind and babysit the cake then she should have paid you to do that!!

Definitely don't tell anyone that anything is wrong with your cake, but you already learned that.........as for your silver plateau, those things are expensive.........I would call the bride and tell her that you are going to file a small claims suit on her if she doesn't return it. Did you take a deposit on it that covers the cost of it???

by the way here is the form I make people sign when I deliver wedding cakes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that the ____________________________ for __________________________ was delivered and set up at the agreed upon time of __________ am/pm and that it was left in good condition (structurally and asthetically) and will not hold Tina's Sugar Shack responsible
for any damages occuring to the ____________________ because of surroundings (placement of table, guests, d.j. speakers/vibrations,etc.) after it has been signed for.

Date:

Signed: ______________________________________________ (responsible persons designated by person placing order)

Tina's Sugar Shack representative sig:____________________________________________________

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #47 of 63

Just something to think about: This is a casino you're dealing with. They have weddings there - probably a lot of them. As well as other events that have large cakes. Many of them are probably set up on this same shifting dance floor.

YOUR cake fell. One that appeared to be stable when you left. But one that could have had unseen issues from your car incident. The fact that you refuse to even acknowledge that your construction, or your cake could have contributed in any way to this disaster says a lot about you.

I'm still new to caking, and haven't even done a tiered cake yet. So you can throw my criticism away with the trash if you want to. But I do have an engineering degree, and worked in an engineering/management role for years before I had kids. The people that refused to admit any possible culpability are the ones that didn't stick around on our team for very long.

Iâm sorry this happened to you, and I am sure this one incident wonât ruin your business. But if you get a reputation as being impossible to work with and "never being wrong", well, that just might.

Cake_Princess Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

To me this is my job. If the bride has to have someone on site to inspect the cake then she should book with someone else.

On my order blank I have the specifics of the cake & delivery, when how much money is due, it's non-refundable, the cut off date for changes, the size of the servings, I reserve the right to (in other words) make executive decisons. That's it.

I mean if the sky falls we'll just have to deal with it at that time--I don't list every possible ordinary and out of the ordinary scary freaky thing that might happen.

Except of course the part about when/if the pod people finally take over the galaxy and rob the wedding of its cake. You know how much the pp love thier cake. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Of course you can't have a contract that covers every little contingency. In addition there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with CYA before something/someone BYITA! I think a lot of these flair ups can be avoided from the start with a little communication. If there's someone there to accept transfer of accountability for the cake and make decisions on behalf of the bride even better. This way no one can say the cake was delivered and the icing was half off when it was not and if the venue manager is being difficult they might be more willing to act if the bride has a representative there.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #49 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Of course you can't have a contract that covers every little contingency. In addition there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with CYA before something/someone BYITA! I think a lot of these flair ups can be avoided from the start with a little communication. If there's someone there to accept transfer of accountability for the cake and make decisions on behalf of the bride even better. This way no one can say the cake was delivered and the icing was half off when it was not and if the venue manager is being difficult they might be more willing to act if the bride has a representative there.

Yeah, maybe so. But I just take pictures from several angles and away I go. To me, I want to make the bride's day easier.

When it comes to having special people do special things for her on that day --I tell her to appoint someone to be sure she eats that day 'cause so many do not.

I mean for me I just wanna make a rocking cake that I will take charge of for her--and I tell my brides y'know the deal is done--don't worry about the cake--I will take care of everything for you.

Everybody's different and it's all fine.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

Just something to think about: This is a casino you're dealing with. They have weddings there - probably a lot of them. As well as other events that have large cakes. Many of them are probably set up on this same shifting dance floor.

YOUR cake fell. One that appeared to be stable when you left. But one that could have had unseen issues from your car incident. The fact that you refuse to even acknowledge that your construction, or your cake could have contributed in any way to this disaster says a lot about you.

I'm still new to caking, and haven't even done a tiered cake yet. So you can throw my criticism away with the trash if you want to. But I do have an engineering degree, and worked in an engineering/management role for years before I had kids. The people that refused to admit any possible culpability are the ones that didn't stick around on our team for very long.

Iâm sorry this happened to you, and I am sure this one incident wonât ruin your business. But if you get a reputation as being impossible to work with and "never being wrong", well, that just might.

Wow...........a little harsh, don't you think? icon_rolleyes.gif

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #51 of 63

I agree...that is harsh! I hope that you (ThreeDGirlie) never have a cake fall!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:34pm
post #52 of 63
Quote:

Wow, that was a little harsh! I do not think that OP did not take responsibility for her cake, she tried to make it right and got cussed out!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #53 of 63

So sorry you had this happen...I did once---thought I'd have a nervous breakdown (I didn't), wished I could die (I didn't icon_rolleyes.gif ), KNEW I had to do something to prevent it happening ever again-I did!!! Since then I've used the SPS - -single plate system (the sticky for info on this is at the top of the "How Do I" subject in the forums. This is NOT the same as the stress free system (on Earlene's website). I have used it with square cakes. I just make sure that the card board square is larger than the round separator plate, don't forget to mark the center of the board before punching the nib in and you're all set. I'm not sure if this is the right way or not, but it sure works for me thumbs_up.gif. I had a square cake due during the time leah was MIA because if Ike, so I just had to be brave and wing it by myself icon_redface.gif . That being said NOTHING will prevent a caketastrophe if the cake table is run into...which, to me, sounds entirely possible on this occassion icon_confused.gif .
Don't give up...your work is beautiful, you obviously love doing this. Have a "tumbler" of wine...and be thankful that the MOB isn't part of your family tapedshut.gif ! Hang in there Chickie-we've got your back!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:

This MAY be a little harsh but I can't say that I disagree. I have had the disaster and I know how upsetting it can be and you just want to crawl into a hole. But while this may sound a little harsh - I believe there is some truth to it. Truth hurts sometimes - that's why people lie!

Now, while it may not have been relayed in a positive light - the truth is you have to acknowledge that the stopping suddenly had to shift your cake. It doesn't matter that it wasn't stacked and that you assembled it on site. I believe you said it was Raspberry filled? Well, we all know that Raspberry filling, even with the best of icing dams, is a slippery filling and there is more room for shifting.

The bottom line is you did the best you could and traveling with cakes is never easy. It is an art form really! I think you did the right thing by offering a partial refund because I do believe it is partially your fault. The MOB did the wrong thing though with the way she treated you and it only shows her lack of class. Don't be offended just because someone had the guts to make a very good point - even if it is unpopular. I sincerely don't think ThreeDGirlie meant to be offensive in any way - just honest and that should be respected, even if it isn't the popular opinion around here.

Good luck with your business and I'm sure that this woman is not going to put a dent in your business as your work speaks for itself. You're a good decorator and by learning from your mistakes you can only be greater!

Tammi

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #55 of 63

Yeah, I was harsh. Among my friends, it is known that you don't ask me for an opinion unless you want a HONEST opinion. Y'all didn't know that about me until this post... icon_eek.gif I call it tough love, you can call it what you will. I didn't intend to be mean-spirited, but this thread has been tough for me to read without wanting to stick a fork in my eye!

The OP stated throughout the thread, and specifically in her recounting of her conversation with the MOB "I made it very clear that the cake falling was really not my fault.".

She never took responsibility for the fact that there could have been structural issues from the sliding that were unseen. Or that she did not take action when she thought that the floor the cake was on was not suitable. It was the bride's fault (it's in the contract!) and the manager's fault for not keeping people off the floor, etc. But it was never even possible that it was her fault - that gets me every time. thumbsdown.gif

-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:43pm
post #56 of 63

ThreeD, I get where you're coming from but still if she doweled the cake on site she would have noticed if it had deteriorated as much as would be necessary in order for it to fall--the venue guy set her up to get the verbal stuffins beat outa her by the mob--so that didn't help anything--the only thing I think she might have apologized for is that she could have apologized for the agony of the ordeal. "I'm sincerely sorry that you had to go through this."

But if the venue insisted that the bride insisted that the cake go on a trampoline, hey whadayagonnado? I woulda never set it up--but she does it different so...

And since you know you come off harsh--you might want to consider softening up a bit when you post. There's definitely a time and place for tough love but it's not all the time. Honesty should always be tempered with grace--even when it's tough.

Take Care, Cake-Buddy

Hey what part of 10-C are you from???
I'm in Elvistown 10-C, (Memphis TN of course)

CAKESHERWAY Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #57 of 63

Hey guys-
Wow, I can't believe how heated this has become for everyone. I guess those of us who have actual experience in building these type of cakes would probably realize that the weight of the upper tiers does NOT depend on the base cake...it depends on the supports in place. When I was in class learning how to dowel a cake I was taught that really the cake does not even need to come in contact with the icing if the dowels are cut slightly higher than the icing so really the upper tiers aren't depending soley on the condition of that base cake anyway. Also, just because a cake is filled (regardless of the filling) it does not become mush and unable to withstand doweling. Trust me I have had to piece cakes together before and know what they can and cannot support. All this talk about the cake sliding and then becoming unworthy of supporting a tiered construction is nuts. If you talk to any experienced decorator, they have all had this happened and were still able to in some cases actually piece together sections of their cake and still make it stand tall!

If this cake were to have been placed on a regular floor, it would still be standing. I can't remember if I mentioned this or not before, but after assembling the cake once, I decided to take it down and put in extra dowels in the bottom two tiers (which I count and keep record of for the kitchen to find) JUST IN CASE the plates started to shift from the floor moving.

The more I thought about this cake, the more I realized that I am damn proud that this cake stood on a MOVING FLOOR for 2 HOURS before even showing signs of a lean!!! Now, if there was something wrong with the construction of the cake, it sure as #&!! would have leaned far sooner than 2 hours later especially after taking the beating it took on a moving floor/table! Think about it people! Even the best constructed and uncomprimised cake is going to eventually succumb to a floor that is moving. I am proud that that cake actually stood for 2 hours before showing a lean! Who else can say that they can create that same 5 tiered separated cake and put it on a moving floor and have it stand for two hours! (unless of course you are using the SPS or Rings which even then would eventually give- still buying them though!)

I was told that the reception would begin at 4 and the bride and groom would immediately cut the cake. Well, they didn't show up until almost 1hr 30 min after the doors opened and guests had been walking over the floor!

I will NOT take responsibility for this one. I have had mistakes in the past and trust me I am the first to point them out, give credits/ refunds, etc as I am a perfectionist but I refuse to take blame if I did everything in my power to build this cake as strong as it could be!

Someone mentioned that it's a casino, blah, blah, blah...well I was the first cake decorator at their first wedding reception after this casino opened and it won't be my last cake there but yes I did tell the manager not to plan anymore cakes on this moving floor and that if I were told to put another cake there in the future, I would refuse and they would be explaining it to the bride. He and his staff have had very few receptions and I have done two of them so he is also still learning.

Unlike many of you, I do not feel that it is my sole responsibilty to ensure that the wedding cake finds a decent place to sit. My job is to bake, create and decorate. Yes, I agree that it needs to be brought up if the cake may become unsafe but I am not in the business of standing around arguing with people about where this cake is going to sit! I had other cake appointments that day. And I am certainly not going to rearrange the room when there are 8ft tables everywhere with 3 ft high glass vases with flowers in them on each table. Will I put another cake on this floor? NO, but i will also not be held responsible for what happens to the cake once I leave the building. PERIOD! In the past, when I was to blame I owned up to it whole heartedly, explained what mistakes I had made and gave a refund gladly and then some! But for this one, NO!

Oh, and I did apologize over and over to the mob for the entire situation which is why I offered a refund in the first place. I did not offer a refund because I felt fault, but because I felt aweful that the bride did not get to see the cake that I had worked so hard to create for her.

ThreeDgirlie- I have no problem with custructive words and advice but until you have actually constructed a cake of this nature please do not assume to know how they are constructed or who may or may not have been at fault. You obviously know nothing about the basics of cake tiering and so please do not assume that the cake sliding in the ride over was somehow to blame for all this (please re-read the first paragraph). If the cake construction had issues at all, it would have become very apparant within minutes of me walking off the floor (and making the cake move) and away from the cake! It withstood 2 hrs of movement so until you can construct a five tiered, separated cake and put it on a moving floor and have it never fall, please don't bother with your words about how "my refusal to acknoledge how my construction could have contributed in some way to this disaster". I think I proved my ability to construct cakes quite well if this one withstood 2 hrs of movment!

Cake princess- I really appreciate the idea about the waiver to be signed before leaving and will incorporate that in my business from now on. Thank you for the advice.

Thanks also ?? who gave me the wording to provide on that waiver! I so love you for that one!! icon_smile.gif

To all of you who still think that I somehow created a weak cake and am somehow at fault because of the construction, I challenge you to put one together on that floor and see how well it stands.

To those who think that I should never have put it on that floor to begin with and think that that somehow makes the collapse my fault- so be it! But in my life, I choose not to pretend to be able to control every situation or every person or casino manager that I come in contact with. If I am ever at another venue with a cake table on a moving floor, I will do the same thing only this time someone will sign off on the cake. I will again voice my concern but will ultimately hold the bride responsible for not providing a safe table. That is how I feel about this part of it. I will not babysit the bride, or the reception staff or rearrange furniture or be some sort of cake diva and throw a fit and refuse to do the cake. I will abide by my contract and expect the bride to fullfill her part. I will however be mentioning this to all the brides coming for consults from now on so that it is crystal clear.

For those who think that I am "cring it's not my fault", think it! But when I am at fault, I am the first to point it out, fix it, set it straight and make it right with my customers so please do not act as though you some how know me personally as a cake decorator who refuses to admit when she is wrong.

My work does speak for it's self and so does my reputation. If it didn't, this hobby would not have grown as quickly as it did and I would not have outgrown my in home commercial licensed kitchen before it was finished being built, and I would not be booked 2-3 months in advance, nor would I have the repeat customer base that I have. My customers know me as a hard worker and perfectionist about cakes and all have confidence in me to do everything in my power to make them happy.

This customer would not have been happy even if I had given her a full refund and free cake for life. I know that.

For those of you who have not had to have this experience yet, read and re-read the comments and learn the lessons I wish I had known last week. Some of the women on here, though critical, did make some good points on what not to do next time. Take notes, I have!

For those of you who have offered support, hugs and sympathy- Thank you so much for getting me thru this in one mental piece. It is nice to have a soft place to land on a crappy day. REALLY NICE.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:54am
post #58 of 63

I am so sorry this happened to you. I took a 4 tiered wedding cake to a wedding(my nices house) and the table was leaning. I told her its leaning and it is gonna make the cake lean. She didn't care but i did. I asked her if we could move it and she didn't want to so we left it and the cake leaned and she was happy as pie. The cake was free so there was no money involved but i was so unhappy because i felt that everyone thought it was leaning because of me. Everyone said the cake is so pretty and i kept saying and the table is leaning not the cake. LOL

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #59 of 63

FYI...you can get the the SPS plates in round, square and heart shapes!

CAKESHERWAY Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

FYI...you can get the the SPS plates in round, square and heart shapes!

Thanks! I am ordering mine now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%