Linens And Things

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm by Win

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 26

I am not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere yet, but Linens and Things is going out of business. The biggest savings I have seen so far is 30% off, but I am sure as time gets closer to the end, we may see some good bargains! Thought i would pass it on..

25 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 26

I saw this recently on the news, they didn't say the name but did show the sign and were talking about businesses liquidating because of the economy, I haven't seen any commercials for them, you'd think they be showing something, but nope. Thanks for mentioning this again because I had forgotten and i hope to get over there soon, and stock up on something

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 26

I wasn't aware they too were going out of business just Circuit City closing 150 stores. How sad this economy is becoming!

Kelley

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 26

all the linens and things ive went to have horrible deals going on
maybe 10-20% off their highest original list price

the prices -at least at the ones down here, havent gotten low enough to warrant buying anything

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 26

The store here said they would be open through the Holidays so I'm guessing the discounts will get better as time goes by.

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 26

I was at my local Linens and Things on Saturday. They just announced this store was closing in the past week. Their discounts are only 10 to 30% right now...only 10% on kitchen items. An employee I spoke with said the store would be closing either the end of December or first couple weeks of January. I'm sad to see it happen...I would rather Bed, Bath & Beyond close up...I don't like them as well.

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 26

That is what I am hoping too, that they will have some good sales around the holidays. (at least good stocking stuffers for your fellow bakers!)

I agree, I like them so much better then bed bath and beyond. I hear that Home Depot is not doing well either. Scary, isnt it?

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 26

I haven't heard anything about Home Depot, but I much prefer Lowe's. The service at both Home Depot locations close to me are absolutely horrible. There is never an employee around when you need them, and when you find one...they never seem to be able to help or find anyone that can help!

There is also rumor that a local Cracker Barrel may be closing it's doors. It has only been open about 4 to 5 months now...but they are having a hard time keeping employees. Here in West Texas...the oilfield is paying top dollar right now.

This is kind of off subject but I was just curious what everyone is paying for gas these days...with deliveries, the high dollar fuel can put a stain on your budget. I just filled up for $2.47 a gallon.

Kim

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 26

For Canadians....

I just went to a L&T in Calgary to check out whether they have reduced their KA 600 Pros to a more reasonable amount (like, maybe, $10 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ).

No sign of going out of business (although I did hear that they have filed for bankruptcy here also); just gigantic signs advertising for staff. I did notice that they have a little notice about L&T credit cards no longer being accepted.

Will watch and wait.

realms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 26

The Linens-n-Things by me that I used to work at has their going out of buisness banner up and signs posted with 10-30% off right now. They will be liquidating stock through to January so that percentage will increase but it will be slim pickings as the weeks go by. They are puting the company up for auction and I'm sure they want to make the company light (sell off as much inventory) before the sale. I am really sad to see it go, I was there to help stock and open that store when it came to my area.

Ekika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekika Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 26

I went to one this weekend an everything was basically gone. They did have items from 30% to 60% off. My husband actually bought a navigation system for $80.00 and that was 60% off. So he did get a good deal with that.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 26

ours here is still 10% off, and you can't use the coupons anymore. So it's actually a worse deal for me to not be able to use my 20% off coupon! I will keep checking back...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #13 of 26

How ironic - and timely. I am in Ontario, Canada, and I was just there on Saturday, looking for some placemats and napkins. I had no idea this was going on. In fact, now that I see this thread ... the items we were looking for were almost all gone. When we asked if we could get them at another Linens store in the area, we were told this: "Our American stores are liquidating their stock, so we are getting bits and pieces of various items. We can't guarantee that we will have multiples of many items, just what we get from there." Isn't that funny? No mention was made about the entire store going out of business - just the "American stores" according to the salespeople up here. That must be the 'party line' up here.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

all the linens and things ive went to have horrible deals going on
maybe 10-20% off their highest original list price

the prices -at least at the ones down here, havent gotten low enough to warrant buying anything

I totally agree up here in NJ! I was just there today and all they were giving was 10% off, why bother icon_sad.gif I guess as time goes on maybe they will go lower. Stores are closing left and right these days, so sad!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #15 of 26

They closed back in the summer here in Macon, don't get your hopes up they never did have GOOB deals.

Jibbies

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:59am
post #16 of 26

Well same here on the West Coast. 10% - 30% sales but closer to 10% at most stores. Also, Mervyns is closing and everything is 75% off but even with that the stores are not packed.

Gas here is still over $3.00/gal. The lowest I have seen it is $3.13. I heard on the news that So. Cal is definately in a recession. I laughed so hard til I thought I would pee my pants.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Cal is definately in a recession. I laughed so hard til I thought I would pee my pants.

Sorry, I think I'm missing the joke.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 26

How would So Cal know if they where in a recession? Maybe their servants will inform them icon_smile.gif

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 26

Colabear71, I live in Alabama, and gas is about $3.19. This is LOW compared to what it has been over the last month. A few weeks ago, it was $4.09. I drive a Chevy Trailblazer. It takes every bit of $80-$90 to fill up once a week.

Didn't know about Linens and Things. I'll check it out. Thanks for the insight.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 26

The ones in Boca Raton, florida were up to 75% off when I moved back home, It seems to me they did what kmart here did a while back, ship the more expensive stuff to a store still open, and only sell the things that either 1) arent selling well or 2) they wont make money off of anyway.

loriemoms Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 26

The web site also have 30% off, with no returns. Didnt see any bargains there either.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Virginia
www.edibledesignsbyginn.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus

"Cal is definately in a recession. I laughed so hard til I thought I would pee my pants."

Sorry, I think I'm missing the joke.

I think it's interesting. Jesus said that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for *a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. He also said that the poor you have with you always. So in the realms of religious reason it seems we need to offer the most deference to the rich amongst us if we have any interest in fulfilling His great commandment--go ye into all the world telling them...about Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

How would So Cal know if they where in a recession? Maybe their servants will inform them icon_smile.gif

It's important to not alienate rich people who not only need God but who also need to buy cake.

I have family in Southern California as do many here on the board plus some of us cakers live there now. If any of them did have servants then they would be offering employment to someone. That's bad?

I am really grateful for my job!! It makes me nuts but...me and my creditors dig that paycheck, baby!

Class envy is a pitiful political polarizing reality, a shallow piss-poor playground tactic. "They have more than we have so let's diss them let's tax them hahaha let's hate them. Now I feel better--got me somebody to be my punching bag."

We should not envy *the rich we should pray for them according to Jesus. No?

So you don't aspire to be 'one of them'??? Whadayah got a cake bz for?

Ask me what I really think.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #23 of 26

Ok, sorry I did not make it clear. The reason I laughed is because I feel that the entire country has been in a recession and just NOW they want to make that announcement.

And I am offended by that remark about having servants. Not everyone in California lives the Beverly Hills lifestyle and if you do its because you earned it.

To make that comment INHO displays a certain amount of envy, which I have none. I truely respect anyone who can earn an honest living and achieve their dreams.

I also am praying that all yours come to fruition.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #24 of 26

Linens and Things actually has a distribution center in the next county over from me... they are closing their doors as well as the doors of their actual retail stores. The distribution center closing will impact about 1500 people. Indeed, they are not accepting coupons, competitor coupons, and I would caution that if you have a gift card you need to use it STAT. Often when a company liquidates they no longer accept gift cards either (which is a whole other soap box and WRONG because it is already money spent) offering up excuses as to why but standing firm on their denial to accept them.
Someone mentioned Home Depot earlier. My brother works in upper management in HDHQ - Atlanta.... so far, they are fine and actually doing better than Lowes because they own the land their buildings are built on vs. Lowes leasing the land. That equates to millions saved in the overall picture when times are bad.

Hunker down, folks... we're in for a crazy ride! For those of us who remember the seventies, many learn to prosper through recession. It can be "The best of times" if we change the way we approach day-to-day living.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #25 of 26

Linen and things closed in August here not good savings. I bought stuff at 15% which was good anything after that was very slim pickings.

Mervyns is closing but not all stores are having the final closing sales. Their are three stores which are about done with their closing sales and the other stores are going to start in the next few weeks. Mervyns had a big regular sale over the weekend it was a regular sale but because they said they were closing of Friday lots of people went to the store but not everything was on sale just their ad stuff so it was interesting to see the store busy for a regular sale. I believe they will be open until end of December or maybe until January to clean out their holiday stock.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 26

Had another random thought... when the local news was telling of the Linens and Things distribution center closing, they mentioned that within the same business park the Zappos distribution center was actually HIRING and did not seem to be affected by the bad economy. As well, when I was an AVON Rep., the one thing consistent over time was that lipstick is a number one best selling item for all make-up manufactured (good times and bad.) So, it seems to me that no matter the economy we gals like to go down wearing nice shoes and making sure our lipstick is in place. LOL

edited for typo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%