Fondant Leaves On Wedding Cake

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm by ski

angelcakes5 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8

I need help. I am making a 4 tiered wedding ckae next week and they would like leaves on the cake between one of the pillar tiers. I have made leaves out of satin ice fondant. Would you suggest I uses the same or should I use gumpaste? I just wondered if it wold hold up better. I noticed with the fondant ones a couple of them cracked on me and didnt know if gumpaste would be a better option.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
muddpuppy Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 8

Gumpaste is great because it dries rock hard if you give it enough time. Or you can use a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix...

momvarden Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

are you planning on appling them to the pillers? If you are than i would suggest the gumpaste you can roll it out much thinner and it won't be has heavy. K i hope that helps.

jibbies Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 8

I just did this cake this past weekend. I used Satin Ice fondant and I cut them out with a leaf cookie cutter, then I laid them at various angles in didfferent size cupcake pans. they dried overnight. Then I painted them with a mixture of the various colors of Luster Dust mixed with everclear.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1277701.html

Jibbies

jillmakescakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

I actually made mine out of candy clay, then the guests were able to eat the leaves! I actually gave the extra leaves to the venue to plate with each piece of cake. Here is the cake: (this was the first time I did draping going around the side of the cake, I obviously need to practice this a little more icon_smile.gif )
LL

ski Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

opps

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 8

I this cake a couple of weeks ago...I used the sunflower leave cutters withe sillicone veiner. I used 50/50 and did different fall colors, kind of twisted together and cut them out very thin and let them try on crumbled foil. I then lightly dusted them to bring out the veining...
LL

ski Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 8

Website glitch I guess? Here is a cake I did yesterday with leaves on it....Fondant with tylose, made template from leaves outside used cardstock to trace then scrunched wax paper laid leaves on for 10 min to set a little then airbrushed yellow, then green and finished with brown, then let dry overnight. No probs.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1277944.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%