2 Questions

Decorating By deetmar Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm by indydebi

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 3

First, how do you charge for a dummy cake. She wants a 14,12, 10, covered in fondant, with Hope, love, etc. stenciled on them.

Also, She wants cupcakes with the wording on those also, what is the easies way to do that? I don't know if there were molds out there, or if I should do either RI, or SugarVeil. I would think they would be very fragile either of those two ways.

Thanks for your help.

2 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 3

Same or ever so slightly cheaper than your regular price for that size covered in fondant. The only reason I would do it less is because you can do it a bit early without the worry of the cake going stale. But otherwise you have the cost of the dummy, the cost of the fondant, your time...

You can put the words on in a lot of different ways, if you think it's going to be too delicate, you could make gumpaste plaques and write onto that and put them on top of or standing in your buttercream on the cupcake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 3

Does she think she's going to save a ton of money by getting a fake cake, thinking it's made with fake time and effort, and is paid for with fake money? icon_confused.gif

I've actually broken down the numbers on my FAQ page so brides can see that this method actually costs them more money.

Here's how I would do it, if it was me:

14 serves 78 / 12 serves 56 / 10 serves 38 / Total: 172 servings x $3/serving = $526 x 80% (if I'm feeling generous) = $421.

Now ..... add $1/serving for fondant and add Design Fee of $100 for stenciling ..... $421 + $172 + $100 = $693 just for the fake cake.

I posted this story earlier today, but as my husband told a co-worker, "Cost of ingredients? Heck, she'll DONATE the cost of the ingredients! THat's not the cost of the cake. The cost of the cake is her talent turning those eggs and flour into the cake that you want."

I charge the same for cupcakes as I do for tiered cakes because it's the same amount of cake and I find cupcakes to be a PITA. The gumpaste plaques are a good idea, but be sure you charge extra for doing those.

How many people is this girl expecting? Because I just hear a cash register cha-chinging out the whazoo for everything she's wanting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%