Sps Saved Me Again

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 11

I know Leah is the big promotor of SPS (I swear she has stock in Bakery Craft) but I just had to post I was thinking of her Saturday! I have been using SPS for years and always felt it was the greatest invention since...since..the agbay! But Saturday I had a cake delivery where I was saying to myself "Ok SPS, dont' do me wrong! I had a three tiered buttercream cake, fully assembled to be delivered to a wedding that was a someone's horse ranch. Now you maybe thinking white fence with beautiful tree lined road to the big house. Well you are correct. It was beautiful! But the tree lined road to the big house was a winding dirt and gravel road with pot holes and ridges from I am sure the horse trailers being pulled in and out of there and such. The car was litterally swaying back and forth as we drove down the road..longest 5 minutes of my life.

As soon as we parked, I jumped out of the car and usually go inside and see where to set up, but this time I instead ran to the back of the car, said a prayer and looked at the cake. Simply beautiful. Not a crack or scratch or anything. I was deeply inpressed. I honestly think a dowel job or straws or even cement wouldn't have survived that ride!!!!!

(KNock on wood, I hope they ALL work out this well!)

10 replies
Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 11

What is SPS.... I soo needed that on my mishap this weekend to very sad to talk about it. I am still very shaken. Anything to prevent this again.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 11

I just got done with a 5-tier wedding cake on sat. and used the sps for this cake and I loved it. it's the first time I have made a cake that big and after reading all about the sps, I knew that I didn't want to try this cake without it. now I'm hooked. there is a how to in the forums about this system. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 11

The SPS is a cake support system.. It stands for Single Plate System. It's plastic plates with legs that snap into the plates. Makes for a very sturdy cake. It's made by Bakery Crafts and you can get it at many places. Global Sugart Art sells them on-line as do others. icon_smile.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 11

Amen and ditto on SPS!!! Cake in my avatar was my first experience with SPS and I simply could not have done it without it!!! You can order SPS (A bakery crafts product) from global sugar art or oassis supply company.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 11

Boy, if this isn't a great testimonial, I dont' know what is.

Years and years ago, my parents rented a house in the country. The driveway ("lane" as we call 'em around here) was 1.5 miles long. It was a working farm, so the farm owner was always going up and down the lane with lots of heavy farm equipment. It was a roller coaster ride to get to their house! Heck, if I straddled the pot holes wrong, I could get my little car stuck because the wheels wouldnt' touch the ground! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So I know exactly what kind of drive you're talking about!!!!

loriemoms Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 11

oh man tell me about it!!! I said to my DH SHould we add to our contract Not responsible for dirt roads? hahaha! I still wonder how it would hold up to a goose crossing or deer crossing the road which happens ALL the time. ONe of these days, I am going to stack up sample cakes with SPS and then drive around the parking lot stopping short. hahaha!

DanishPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanishPastry Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:58am
post #8 of 11

I'm making my daughters wedding cake in December - 4 separated tiers. I've just made some trial cakes & layered them and don't like the 4" of separation I'm getting with my Wilton clear spiral columns.

Does anyone know if the 9" column by Bakery Craft is actual clear? We're doing a winter theme and want the "glass" look. Also, can these columns be cut into shorter lengths? I'd like a 6 1/2" column so only 2 1/2" shows beween the layers.

I'm thinking about trying to cut my Wilton columns, but the white Bakery Craft columns look like the softer plastic white columns I got somewhere a long time ago, which can be cut. So I'd be thrilled if the "frosted" ones can be cut.

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:48am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishPastry

I'm making my daughters wedding cake in December - 4 separated tiers. I've just made some trial cakes & layered them and don't like the 4" of separation I'm getting with my Wilton clear spiral columns.

Does anyone know if the 9" column by Bakery Craft is actual clear? We're doing a winter theme and want the "glass" look. Also, can these columns be cut into shorter lengths? I'd like a 6 1/2" column so only 2 1/2" shows beween the layers.

I'm thinking about trying to cut my Wilton columns, but the white Bakery Craft columns look like the softer plastic white columns I got somewhere a long time ago, which can be cut. So I'd be thrilled if the "frosted" ones can be cut.

They aren't completely clear, they are frosted. And still look like plastic. But they can be cut quite easily, I do it all the time with a mitre saw.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 11

I used SPS for the first time this past weekend, and it was fabulous! As a new hobbyist, I was worried about several things, but not at all stressed about whether the cake would collapse or lean.

The columns aren't easy to cut, but I used a miter box and hand saw that fit into it to cut them. (One tier 5 3/4" and one tier 4 1/2"---How's that for inconsistency?) I wouldn't try to cut by hand without using a miter box--You want to be sure the cuts are absolutely level.

Leah S doesn't have stock in SPS, but she definitely should! Or at least be paid as their leading marketing agent. Thanks to you, Leah for introducing us to SPS.

loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 11

The saw I use is electric. I cant imagine trying to do it by hand! They are HARD plastic! So you get to use power tools with SPS! grunt grunt grunt! (you know, Tim Allen...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%