Cake Not Cooking Through..update W/question...

Decorating By 3cheekymonkeys Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm by 3cheekymonkeys

3cheekymonkeys Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 9

I posted yesterday about the cake and cupcakes I am making for my sons 1st birthday not cooking all the way.

So I made a batch of plain box cupcakes yesterday afternoon to test my oven. They came out perfect in the correct amount of time. So I was thinking...below is the recipe that I have been using:

"1 yellow or white cake mix ( including wet ingredients called for on box), i box instant vanilla pudding, 1 can of pumpkin puree, 2 tsp pumkin spice. bake as directed"

Do you think the pumpkin puree is too much and causing the cake/cupcakes to be "underdone"? I was using the large can of pumpkin puree, should I cut it in half or use another measurement?

Thanks for everyone's help!

8 replies
Mike1394 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 9

I would say yes it was the pumpkin. You need about a cup max I would say.

Mike

banba Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 9

Yep I agree with Mike sounds like a denser mixture you have now so may need to increase cooking times!

pinklesley1 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 9

i agree... the puree will make the cake not only more dense but will add a whole lot more moisture... you may need to cut down the quantity and also cook it longer...

you can also use the pumpkin spice pudding that they have now during fall... i used it to make some cupcakes for me and my hubby last week, mixed with spice cake, and it worked AWESOME, it tastes pumpkin-y enough.... and delish!

3cheekymonkeys Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you all SO much! I thought I was going to end up with a mushy 1st birthday cake!

If I use the pumpkin pie pudding, do you think it would taste good in a plain white cake? And if I use the pudding in the white cake mix, should I forget the pumpkin puree? (That might be easier) (I just bought 4 boxes of the white cake mix already) but if you think it would be better in the spice cake mix I will get a couple boxes.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it... icon_biggrin.gif

2508s42 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 9

Just add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 t ginger, 1/8 clove to the mix, and viola, spice cake. Or you could just add 2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning.

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 9

If you use the pumpkin puree leave out the liquid called for in the recipe. You should be just fine that way. I haven't seen pumpkin pudding.....is it really available?

3cheekymonkeys Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 9

So I went to two stores and couldn't find pumpkin pudding icon_sad.gif so I will use the vanilla with the white cake mix and add the pumpkin pie spice.

My question is: the recipe on the box calls for 1 1/3 cups of water 2 tablespoons oil and three large egg whites. Should I eliminate all the water and use one can of pumpkin puree? Or should I just reduce the amount of pumpkin puree to 1/4 cup with all the wet items?

Thanks so much!

3cheekymonkeys Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 9

So I went to two stores and couldn't find pumpkin pudding icon_sad.gif so I will use the vanilla with the white cake mix and add the pumpkin pie spice.

My question is: the recipe on the box calls for 1 1/3 cups of water 2 tablespoons oil and three large egg whites. Should I eliminate all the water and use one can of pumpkin puree? Or should I just reduce the amount of pumpkin puree to 1/4 cup with all the wet items?

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%