Agbay Leveler Question

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm by M_Mischief

AZCakeGirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:31am
post #1 of 12

Okay....I think I've finally talked myself into splurging on the Agbay cake leveler. When I went to the website I noticed that there is a regular model for $150.00 & a deluxe model for $250.00 Now, even though I've had a hard time telling myself to go ahead & spend the $150.00, I'll have even a harder time if I get the regular version & realized I should have spent the extra hundred dollars & got the deluxe model. Does anyone here have the deluxe model? Do you think I should go ahead & get it or is it really only worth the extra money if I'm going to be doing a lot of torting? The only difference I noticed between the two versions was that it said you could level & torte at the same time with the deluxe model. To me that doesn't seem like a big deal for the extra $100 since I don't do a lot of torting & if I do, I don't mind going back over the cake again with the leveler. Is that the only advantage to the deluxe model? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
 DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 12

I have the single blade model. It's so easy to adjust the height of the blade, 2 blades isn't necessary. I can see the deluxe model being useful only if you have a high volume bakery and you're leveling and torting all day.

sweetcakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 12

i have the deluxe one with 2 blades. i torte and level all my cakes, but if i was just leveling i can move the top blade out of the way. like you say it is easy to reposition the blade and make a second cut. so its really up to you, if you want to spend the extra, do get the cleaning tool though, its worth it.

butternut  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 12

I have the single blade as well. I don't see a need to buy the deluxe unless like has been mentioned, you tort and level all day long. If you need to level and torte a cake, all you do is raise or lower the blade height which is very simple.

SILVERCAT  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

I have the deluxe and find it very nice to have, since I torte all my cake! I manage to level and torte all at the sametime!

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 12

I also have the deluxe, but I torte every cake I do.

DesignerCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #7 of 12

I have the deluxe model as well. I first bought the one blade model and found that I spent too much time adjusting it up and down. If you are working on a large cake, for example, that is alot of wasted time if you need to level and torte as I do.

I sold my single blade model days after I bought it to a baker friend and then bought the deluxe one. I find it to be an indispensible tool. Best levelor ever and worth every penny. I highly recommend it, especially the deluxe model.

lilmansmum  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #8 of 12

Well I just splurged a couple of weeks ago and got the single blade leveler. I LOVE it. The single blade version works just fine for me, since I am not torting cakes all day. I mostly use mine to level cakes. If I need to torte a cake, I can just adjust the blade height. No problem. I'm sure the deluxe version is great for high volume bakers, but the single blade is perfect for me. Oh, and I agree....definitely get the cleaning tool. It is wonderful, and I believe it was only about $6. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 12

I torte all of my cakes too, BUT... I don't level at the same time. I bake, level, freeze, thaw, torte, fill, etc.. So, still no need for the deluxe model. It all depends on your method.

And, another vote here for the cleaning tool. thumbs_up.gif

AZCakeGirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 12

Great! Thank you all so much for your responses! I think I am going to stick with the single blade leveler since I don't do a huge amount of torting. Thank you all again! icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 12

so has it arrived yet azcakegirl? I am in the same spot as you were, wondering which one to get - I don't torte my cakes, but then like you said, I'd hate to get the single blade only to realiaze I should've gotten the double...hmm

M_Mischief  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M_Mischief Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 12

I haven't got an Agbay but I know a few people who have, and they've the single blade version.

I was under the impression that even if you wanted to torte you didn't have to move the blade anyway as you could level the cake then pop it on a board 1" or 1½" thick to rasie it higher and then torte it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%