Agbay Leveler Question

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm by M_Mischief

AZCakeGirl Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:31am
post #1 of 12

Okay....I think I've finally talked myself into splurging on the Agbay cake leveler. When I went to the website I noticed that there is a regular model for $150.00 & a deluxe model for $250.00 Now, even though I've had a hard time telling myself to go ahead & spend the $150.00, I'll have even a harder time if I get the regular version & realized I should have spent the extra hundred dollars & got the deluxe model. Does anyone here have the deluxe model? Do you think I should go ahead & get it or is it really only worth the extra money if I'm going to be doing a lot of torting? The only difference I noticed between the two versions was that it said you could level & torte at the same time with the deluxe model. To me that doesn't seem like a big deal for the extra $100 since I don't do a lot of torting & if I do, I don't mind going back over the cake again with the leveler. Is that the only advantage to the deluxe model? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 12

I have the single blade model. It's so easy to adjust the height of the blade, 2 blades isn't necessary. I can see the deluxe model being useful only if you have a high volume bakery and you're leveling and torting all day.

sweetcakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 12

i have the deluxe one with 2 blades. i torte and level all my cakes, but if i was just leveling i can move the top blade out of the way. like you say it is easy to reposition the blade and make a second cut. so its really up to you, if you want to spend the extra, do get the cleaning tool though, its worth it.

butternut Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 12

I have the single blade as well. I don't see a need to buy the deluxe unless like has been mentioned, you tort and level all day long. If you need to level and torte a cake, all you do is raise or lower the blade height which is very simple.

SILVERCAT Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

I have the deluxe and find it very nice to have, since I torte all my cake! I manage to level and torte all at the sametime!

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 12

I also have the deluxe, but I torte every cake I do.

DesignerCakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #7 of 12

I have the deluxe model as well. I first bought the one blade model and found that I spent too much time adjusting it up and down. If you are working on a large cake, for example, that is alot of wasted time if you need to level and torte as I do.

I sold my single blade model days after I bought it to a baker friend and then bought the deluxe one. I find it to be an indispensible tool. Best levelor ever and worth every penny. I highly recommend it, especially the deluxe model.

lilmansmum Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #8 of 12

Well I just splurged a couple of weeks ago and got the single blade leveler. I LOVE it. The single blade version works just fine for me, since I am not torting cakes all day. I mostly use mine to level cakes. If I need to torte a cake, I can just adjust the blade height. No problem. I'm sure the deluxe version is great for high volume bakers, but the single blade is perfect for me. Oh, and I agree....definitely get the cleaning tool. It is wonderful, and I believe it was only about $6. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 12

I torte all of my cakes too, BUT... I don't level at the same time. I bake, level, freeze, thaw, torte, fill, etc.. So, still no need for the deluxe model. It all depends on your method.

And, another vote here for the cleaning tool. thumbs_up.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 12

Great! Thank you all so much for your responses! I think I am going to stick with the single blade leveler since I don't do a huge amount of torting. Thank you all again! icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 12

so has it arrived yet azcakegirl? I am in the same spot as you were, wondering which one to get - I don't torte my cakes, but then like you said, I'd hate to get the single blade only to realiaze I should've gotten the double...hmm

M_Mischief Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 12

I haven't got an Agbay but I know a few people who have, and they've the single blade version.

I was under the impression that even if you wanted to torte you didn't have to move the blade anyway as you could level the cake then pop it on a board 1" or 1½" thick to rasie it higher and then torte it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%