Imbc Or Smbc

Decorating By my2boys Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm by KoryAK

my2boys Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 7

Which is easier to make of the 2. I've tried to make the SMBC but it tasted gritty. Is the Italian meringue easier to make and is it full proof.
I wanted to use it as buttercream on top of the cupcakes for my 5 year olds Birthday party. If I use the store bought egg whites that come in the containers at the market do I still have to cook them for the SMBC or not. On the container it says not intented for meringues but I need to feed it to 5 year olds and I dont want anyone to get sick. If I use the store bought egg whites I'm confused on how to make either of the 2 buttercreams, can anyone please help me...thanks

6 replies
JanH Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:59am
post #2 of 7

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meringue b/c's and other frostings:

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:16am
post #3 of 7

This link might help you. It got me started using SMBC and it's all I ever do for all my cakes and touch wood (she knocks on head), no one has ever gotten sick!

craftyone65 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:00am
post #4 of 7

I messed up two batches before I saw this video and now it turns out everytime. I never make regular chocolate buttercream anymore cause my chocolate is so delicious nowicon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 7

I make IMBC 99% of the time. The biggest thing about it is make sure your meringue is cool enough. I add the merigue to the whipped butter. Some recipes call for it the other way around. I've never had an issue adding TO the butter.

PinkZiab Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7

If your SMBC was gritty, you did not get the meringue hot enough. I don't use carton egg white for meringue ever, so I can't comment how they will come out, although the technique for either would not change at all (yes you would still need to cook them for SMBC--it's not as much for pasteurization as it is to give structure and stability to the meringue. Although an Italian meringue is the most stable of them all). I use fresh pooled egg whites in all of my meringues and for my buttercreams and mousses (or whole eggs for the recipes that require, obviously) and have yet to have anyone get sick... children included.

KoryAK Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 7

IMBC is definitely not *fool* proof, you have to cook sugar which is gonna want to crystallize if you are not careful then have to pour that into the whipping whites and it will want to make cotton candy around the rim of the bowl then. SMBC is far easier. If it was gritty, then you didn't heat it high enough. The sugar melts way before the whites are hot enough to start whipping them. S/b 140+.

Some carton whites will whip up and some won't, couldn't tell you which but someone else here will.

I highly doubt anyone will get sick from your SMBC. The heating part of the recipe pasteurizes them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%