Your Opinion On Which Strawberry Filling Please.

Decorating By korkyo Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm by FromScratch

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 9

There are two strawberry filling recipes one uses fresh strawberries and one uses frozen. Both follow basically the same process of cooking with corn starch. Will they be totally different? Will the frozen ones taste just as fresh?

MOST importatnly I need these as a filling for a wedding cake. Will either of these hold up as that kind of filling?

8 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 9

I like to use the frozen berries that come packed with sugar. Puree that in a blender or food processor and add some cornstarch and bring to a boil and you are done. It's really good and super easy. After it's cool I add diced fresh berries and it's perfect. The best of both worlds.

Depending on how much corn starch you use will vary the thickness. If it will be your only filling you might want it on the thicker side.

korkyo Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:12am
post #3 of 9

Does this stay thick? something I don't have to worry about leaking out or breaking down? I don't have time to experiment like I had hoped.

AAcckkkk!!! I'm scared. icon_redface.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:48am
post #4 of 9

I cook my berries, fresh, frozen or both, whatever mixture of blueberries, blackberries, strawberries & raspberries with granny smith apples because the natural pectin in a nice tart apple will set it up when it cools and I don't use cornstarch. I cook it down sufficiently too so it never weaps. Love the stuff. I put in a minimal amount of sugar and some lemon. The filling adds a tart fruity foil for the sweet cake. (And I puree it and seive it.)

But maybe don't try this for your cake coming up. But the idea is there for when you can play.

lillidalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillidalla Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:06am
post #5 of 9

This is a strawberry filling recipe I've used quite a few times in both stacked and regular cakes.
2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, hulled fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
Combine the above in a stainless steel (or other good quality) saucepan. Over med-high heat, boil for two minutes until thickened. Add a splash of fresh lemon juice and allow to cool before using.
You can easily adjust the amount of ingredients to accommodate the amount of filling you need.

korkyo Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 9

ok thanks everyone. I'll give it a try.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 9

I buy frsh the freeze them for purees. Freezing breaks down the cell walls. Makes it easier to puree. Plus during thawing let them drain through a sieze for the juice. reduce that down to get a good strawberry flavoring.

Mike

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 9

Just an FYI the sleeve of fillings that you can order on line are actually very good. I have used the raspberry and the strawberry. They work well and taste pretty good (not too sweet) when you don't have time to make your own.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

I have used that combo in many a wedding cake.. it holds up well so long as you don't put it in too thick. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%