Ingredient And Price List Anyone??

Decorating By mrsdawnwhite Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm by robinscakes

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone ever ask you for a detailed ingredient list with prices? I feel like they think I'm going to rip them off or something.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
Dawn

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 10

Heck no they've never asked me! And the other half of that story is they wouldnt' get it if they DID ask!

When they buy a new Cadillac and GM gives them a parts list and the cost of those parts ..... when Olive Garden hands over their recipes and the cost of each ingredient ..... when their doctor tells them the actual cost of the shot they are being given ..... maybe ..... MAYBE ..... I MIGHT consider doing the same.

In addition, they might "expect" a list of ingredients and prices and they might "think" that's the cost of the cake. How surprised they would be to get a pro-rated value of the commerical stove I used to make the cake, the pro-rated value of the electric bill to bake the cake, run the mixer, the insurance to cover the equipment, to cover the van to deliver the cake, the gas in the van to deliver the cake, payroll and payroll taxes for my girls to work in my kitchen, cost of the accountant to handle that payroll, etc., etc., etc.,

By the time I'm done with MY list, they'd end up owing ME money!! icon_twisted.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 10

um, NO. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. Your ingredients prices are none of their business. If they want to know what is in the cake FINE. Maybe they have an allergy or are on a special diet, but you keep your costs private. How much you pay for eggs is not a direct indication of how much you should CHARGE them for your time, effort & art. There is so much more to a cake than ingredients.

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #4 of 10

Nope, none of their business. If they're concerned due to a food allergy, they need to let you know, but cost certainly doesn't factor into that. Your profit margin is none of their business - they're either willing to pay your price or not.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 10

No kidding.. they aren't paying you for the ingredients.. they are paying you for the service of making the cake that they either can't or don't want to make themselves. Your itemized price list should state XX amount of servings at $X.XX per serving.. period. The only other things that should be on there is charges for gumpaste or fondant modeling/flowers, delivery charges, equipment rental fees, PITA design charges.. things like that. Your ingredient prices are none of your customer's business.

The gall.

I can see asking for ingredients if there is an allergy, but not the price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #6 of 10

Here ... print this out and give it to them.

Hubby told someone just the other day, "Heck, she'll GIVE you the ingredients! That's not the cost of the cake!" (sometimes, he IS trainable!)

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:11am
post #7 of 10

I love that so much Indydebi! I totally think that the OP should print that out and hand it to them. lol

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here ... print this out and give it to them.

Thanks for the laugh...what a great comparison.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 10

indydebi- that is sooo funny, I think I'll print that up and put it on the wall or keep it close by for those "how much" situations!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 10

I've been asked for a detailed ingredient list, and I can understand that for people with allergies. However, I've never been asked about my price per ingredient! I wouldn't tell them if they did. The price fluctuates with the market anyway. I wouldn't want people to be trying to figure out my profit, although they have no clue about the labor involved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%