Question About Ice Cream (Not On Or In Cakes)

Decorating By tabitwhe Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 4:02am by tabitwhe

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 8

I have been told by my mother that I can not scoop ice cream into a cupcake paper then put it back in the freezer open. It will go bad or something. I dont remember her exact resons LOL.

So I was wondering, can I (the night before) put my ice cream scoops in a cupcake paper and cover it and put it back in the freezer? Like cover it with saran wrap or something?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8

The only thing I can think is that if you use a warm scoop to dish out the ice cream you run the risk of ice crystals forming.

But, since ice cream in a carton is not really "sealed", I would think plastic wrap would do the trick.

Good luck!
Kathy icon_lol.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8

We used to make icecream scoop clowns in cup cake liners for the children's floor at a hospital. Used a clean ice chest with dry ice, so the icecream would not pick up any flovors or odors like it would in a freezer. Never covered them and they were still good even hours later.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 8

she's probably thinking about how the flavors/smells in the freezer would penetrate the ice cream (if you have frozen sliced onions in a ziplock bag in your freezer, your ice cream might end up tasting like onions).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 8

she's probably thinking about smells penetrating the food (i.e. if you have sliced onions in a ziplock bag, then your ice cream could end up tasting like onions.)

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 8

I do this exact thing for my son's birthday parties and it works great. Granted like others said you don't want to have any pungent things in the freezer, I have a freezer in the garage and that's what I use for this kind of stuff. I scooped into cc liners on a cookie sheet wrapped the whole sheet with press n seal wrap and put in the freezer the night before the party. I've never had a problem and it makes cake and ice cream time a lot less hectic icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #7 of 8

When you are prepping for large-scale service (such as a banquet or other seated dinner where many people must be served at once) it is common practice to pre-scoop ice cream and hold it on trays, well wrapped, until service.

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #8 of 8

Hmmm.... I wonder why I didnt get the notification I had replys?

Anyway

Thanks for the tips. I guess since the only thing in my freezer right now is whipped topping and pizza rolls, I should be good LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%