Colors, Painting On Cakes, Airbrushing, Brands....

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 2:50am by kakeladi

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 3

I was just wondering what brands of food color everyone uses. Any tips for painting on fondant. Anyone know how to make burnt sienna, sage, olive, or other cool colors. Anyone who paints on cakes....fondant or bc. What are your favorite colors themes to use together on cakes....What do you use to get a hamburger bun color just right, tomato, flesh tone. Do you airbrush black or mix it? And what is the deal with petal dust mixed with vodka or water, the color totally changes.??? Tips on anything color related (include the brand & shade you use) Let's talk colors?

2 replies
bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 3

I used Wilton leaf green, brown and black to color the fondant a dark green color and then painted with Wilton black & brown w/vodka for a striated glassy effect on a wine bottle cake. Love this thread idea & hope you get more responses.
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 3

I have usemany different brands of paste colors. Each one has it's own unique reason for being used.
Favorite color combinations: for a man's cake any combination of blue, green, tan or brown. For women it can be most anything. You usually ask the customer what they want.
I haven't done much painting on cakes. Airbrush colors work great for painting.
My favorite shade of green is moss. Perfect for many many things.
Dusts are not mixed w/water icon_sad.gif Vodka, yes, but not water.
To actually tell the difference you will have to try each. Dry dusting gives you one range of subtle colors while painting or airbrushing it on mixed w/vodka brings out a whole different look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%